New York City Restaurants

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1481
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

New York City Restaurants

#1 Post by Robert Dentice » February 5th, 2014, 1:50 pm

I thought I would start a thread dedicated to NYC restaurants.

2013 has been the best year for restaurant openings since 2004. And this expansion has spread beyond Brooklyn to many new areas. One area in particular that is thriving is the Lower East Side with Contra, Estela (not technically LES) Fung Tu, NY Sushi Ko, Pearl&Ash and Skal. Also Russ & Daughters will be opening soon.

I hope others will add to this thread and start similar threads for other large cities of interest.
_____________________________________________________________________

Chef Fabian von Hauske worked at Faviken and Noma. Chef Jeremiah Stone worked at Isa. Sommelier Linda Milagros Violago worked at Mugaritz

Contra features a 5 course tasting menu for $55 and is clearly influence by the Paris scene with similarities to restaurants such as Bones, Le Chateaubriand, and Roseval.

They have a small focused mostly "natural" wine list again similar to the aforementioned Paris restaurants. We drank a fantastic Frank Cornelissen Orange wine that worked wonderfully well with the food.

The music is good and just the right volume.

We like to sit at the Bar because it is no reservations and the bartender who has taken care of us each time is very knowledgeable about food, cocktails and wine.

Course 1 - Scallop/Marrow/Pear - we did not have the marrow since we do not eat meat

Course 2 - Cod/Green/Garlic/Broccoli

Course 3 - Chicken/Mushroom/Almond - we were given an extraordinary tasty dish with Salsify as the main component

Course 4 - Tangerine popcorn - The popcorn was a flavor component and not actually the whole popcorn which worked well with the rest of the dish

Course 5 - Beet/Hazelnut/Yoghurt

We supplemented the tasting menu with Bread (made in house) and cheese.

The food was artfully presented, energetic, lively, thoughtfully composed with some surprising combinations and overall delicous.

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1175
Joined: April 23rd, 2009, 1:43 pm

New York City Restaurants

#2 Post by mark rudner » February 6th, 2014, 7:07 pm

Robert
No uncle boons?

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1481
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

New York City Restaurants

#3 Post by Robert Dentice » February 7th, 2014, 8:20 am

mark rudner wrote:Robert
No uncle boons?
Heard some good things. The menu does not seem appealing to me. Especially as a pescetarian.

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1175
Joined: April 23rd, 2009, 1:43 pm

New York City Restaurants

#4 Post by mark rudner » February 7th, 2014, 9:00 am

yeah that's true. there's a little fish, but it's the chicken salad that keeps drawing me back there. plus i like the divey room.

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1481
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

New York City Restaurants

#5 Post by Robert Dentice » February 9th, 2014, 10:12 am

You can add Rosette to the list of new impressive restaurants in the Lower East Side. Chef Nick Curtin has a diverse resume for a young guy that includes Acme, Compose, Jacks Luxury Oyster Bar and Perry Street.

Some very creative vegetable based dishes. They still seem to be fine tuning a few things but overall it was great experience. I look forward to going back.

http://www.rosettenyc.com

http://www.sproutingfromthesoul.com/201 ... -nick.html

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1175
Joined: April 23rd, 2009, 1:43 pm

New York City Restaurants

#6 Post by mark rudner » February 9th, 2014, 1:52 pm

Nicks a friend of a friend. Will definitely check it out, thanks

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1481
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

New York City Restaurants

#7 Post by Robert Dentice » February 13th, 2014, 10:31 am

Had a 2nd meal at Rosette and it was even better than the first. The Parsnip steak was excellent. They are still working on the winelist. Corkage was $30 on my first visit and $25 on the 2nd. Happy to see the place full on very cold and snow filled night.

User avatar
Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1129
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 10:34 am

New York City Restaurants

#8 Post by Ethan Abraham » February 13th, 2014, 1:42 pm

Estela is great. Piora and Betony are two other excellent recent new openings.
Carbone is a lot of fun if you aren't paying.
Le Philosophe opened very end of 2012, slightly creative versions of French bistro fare.

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1481
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

New York City Restaurants

#9 Post by Robert Dentice » February 13th, 2014, 2:12 pm

Ethan Abraham wrote:Estela is great. Piora and Betony are two other excellent recent new openings.
Carbone is a lot of fun if you aren't paying.
Le Philosophe opened very end of 2012, slightly creative versions of French bistro fare.
Estela is great. I have loved Chef Ignacio Mattos cooking since Isa. Thomas Carter is the consummate host and have followed him since Blue Hill at Stone Barns.

Two very good lunches at Betony and they have very good wine list.

Great time to be eating in NYC.

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1481
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

New York City Restaurants

#10 Post by Robert Dentice » August 6th, 2014, 8:44 am

Some recent meals in NYC have been fantastic:

Brooklyn Fare - Some of the finest raw fish in the U.S. (have not been to Urusawa lately so I can't compare), flown in from Japan. Stunning meal. The gentleman next to me had eaten at Alinea and Per Se the two prior nights and he said favorite of the three was Brooklyn Fare.

Luksus at Tørst - Chef Burns was the Head of the Test Kitchen at Momofuku and prior to that he worked at Fat Duck, St John and Noma (three years). Two recent meals were outstanding. Really exciting cooking and to me the closet vibe in NYC in terms of the overall experience to what is happening in Paris. Corkage is $25-30.

Sushi Kura - A secret Sushi spot on St Marks. They have three different levels of menus and you can do a combination of raw and cooked. I think the Chef excels at the cooked portion of the menu. Corkage is $30.

Box Kite - Pop up type restaurant in a coffee shop on St Marks. The two Chefs have worked at ACME and Robertas, respectively. It is a tasting menu with counter seating. The also offer a few seats where you can order A la carte. No corkage, the have a small wine list that has a few ok things to drink.
Last edited by Robert Dentice on August 6th, 2014, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1481
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

New York City Restaurants

#11 Post by Robert Dentice » August 6th, 2014, 8:49 am

Robert Dentice wrote:Some recent meals in NYC have been fantastic:

Brooklyn Fare - Some of the finest raw fish in the U.S. (have not been to Urusawa lately so I can't compare), flown in from Japan. Stunning meal. The gentleman next to me had eaten at Alinea and Per Se the two prior nights and he said favorite of the three was Brooklyn Fare.

Luksus at Tørst - Chef Burns was the Head of the Test Kitchen at Momofuku and prior to that we worked at Fat Duck, St John and Noma (three years). Two recent meals were outstanding. Really exciting cooking and to me the closet vibe in NYC in terms of the overall experience to what is happening in Paris. Corkage is $25-30.

Sushi Kura - A secret Sushi spot on St Marks. They have three different levels of menus and you can do a combination of raw and cooked. I think the Chef excels at the cooked portion of the menu. Corkage is $30.

Box Kite - Pop up type restaurant in a coffee shop on St Marks. The two Chefs have worked at ACME and Robertas, respectively. It is a tasting menu with counter seating. The also offer a few seats where you can order A la carte. No corkage, the have a small wine list that has a few ok things to drink.
Degustation - I don't know how Jack keeps finding amazing young chefs. The current Chef was at JLOB and is doing a fantastic job at Degustation. So many amazing places to eat in the East Village (my hood).

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 3252
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

New York City Restaurants

#12 Post by Ramon C » August 6th, 2014, 9:06 am

We had a very good 3-course lunch at Costata in the West Village, for the crazy-price of $25, which is their Restaurant Week promotion. Our first courses of beet salad and beef tartare were fresh and nicely prepared. For my entrée, I opted for their White-label burger, thick medium –rare patty, with melted American cheese and bacon marmalade. Melt-in-your-mouth delicious.

This restaurant is run by the same people at Marea and is supposed to be their version of a steakhouse and it also is more casual than Marea. Unless it’s an offline, I admit that I prefer to prepare and eat my steaks at home, but in the case of Costata, I will plan on going there to try their steaks. I also heard that their pasta dishes are worth ordering, too.

http://www.costatanyc.com/
@brera

ybarselah
Posts: 5574
Joined: July 15th, 2009, 2:29 pm

New York City Restaurants

#13 Post by ybarselah » August 6th, 2014, 12:27 pm

Great thread, thanks for bumping it. Rosette is excellent and one of the coolest rooms in the city.

On the casual front, i'd add charlie bird to the list. had a recent meal outside on their patio and everything was really fresh and vibrant.

really need to try luksus.
Yaacov (ITB)

User avatar
RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3044
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 4:20 pm
Location: Houston, TX

New York City Restaurants

#14 Post by RyanC » August 6th, 2014, 12:32 pm

I've eaten really well this year (Arpege, Saison, etc.) but I'm not sure I've had a more exciting meal this year than my meal at Atera in June. I think I preferred my Arpege meal by a hair, but the calculus was shockingly close

I thought NoMad was good, not great, last month. Chicken was good but I've had better for far less money. Room was cool.
C@ughey

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1481
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

New York City Restaurants

#15 Post by Robert Dentice » August 6th, 2014, 1:29 pm

Ryan Caughey wrote:I've eaten really well this year (Arpege, Saison, etc.) but I'm not sure I've had a more exciting meal this year than my meal at Atera in June. I think I preferred my Arpege meal by a hair, but the calculus was shockingly close

I thought NoMad was good, not great, last month. Chicken was good but I've had better for far less money. Room was cool.
Ryan - I need to get back to Atera. I finally had an amazing meal at Saison last month, after a few tries. Give Brooklyn Fare a try.

User avatar
RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3044
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 4:20 pm
Location: Houston, TX

New York City Restaurants

#16 Post by RyanC » August 6th, 2014, 1:29 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
Ryan Caughey wrote:I've eaten really well this year (Arpege, Saison, etc.) but I'm not sure I've had a more exciting meal this year than my meal at Atera in June. I think I preferred my Arpege meal by a hair, but the calculus was shockingly close

I thought NoMad was good, not great, last month. Chicken was good but I've had better for far less money. Room was cool.
Ryan - I need to get back to Atera. I finally had an amazing meal at Saison last month, after a few tries. Give Brooklyn Fare a try.
It's on my list. I only get to NY a night every couple months so I have to pick my spots carefully. How tough is a reservation at BF these days?
C@ughey

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12829
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

New York City Restaurants

#17 Post by Jay Miller » August 6th, 2014, 1:34 pm

Ramon Cabrera wrote:We had a very good 3-course lunch at Costata in the West Village, for the crazy-price of $25, which is their Restaurant Week promotion. Our first courses of beet salad and beef tartare were fresh and nicely prepared. For my entrée, I opted for their White-label burger, thick medium –rare patty, with melted American cheese and bacon marmalade. Melt-in-your-mouth delicious.

This restaurant is run by the same people at Marea and is supposed to be their version of a steakhouse and it also is more casual than Marea. Unless it’s an offline, I admit that I prefer to prepare and eat my steaks at home, but in the case of Costata, I will plan on going there to try their steaks. I also heard that their pasta dishes are worth ordering, too.

http://www.costatanyc.com/
I've heard mixed reviews of Costata but the one time I went I thought it was excellent. Though as with Marea desserts were a weak point. One can always walk across the street to Dominique Ansel to get something to take home.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1481
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

New York City Restaurants

#18 Post by Robert Dentice » August 6th, 2014, 2:17 pm

Ryan Caughey wrote:
Robert Dentice wrote:
Ryan Caughey wrote:I've eaten really well this year (Arpege, Saison, etc.) but I'm not sure I've had a more exciting meal this year than my meal at Atera in June. I think I preferred my Arpege meal by a hair, but the calculus was shockingly close

I thought NoMad was good, not great, last month. Chicken was good but I've had better for far less money. Room was cool.
Ryan - I need to get back to Atera. I finally had an amazing meal at Saison last month, after a few tries. Give Brooklyn Fare a try.
It's on my list. I only get to NY a night every couple months so I have to pick my spots carefully. How tough is a reservation at BF these days?
It is still a tough reservation, but worth the effort. Blanca is easier.

rdeangelo
Posts: 300
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 7:41 am

New York City Restaurants

#19 Post by rdeangelo » August 6th, 2014, 5:27 pm

ybarselah wrote:Great thread, thanks for bumping it. Rosette is excellent and one of the coolest rooms in the city.

On the casual front, i'd add charlie bird to the list. had a recent meal outside on their patio and everything was really fresh and vibrant.

really need to try luksus.
Big fan of Rosette too but the chef is leaving:

http://www.grubstreet.com/2014/08/roset ... -chef.html
Ray (ITB)

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1481
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

New York City Restaurants

#20 Post by Robert Dentice » August 6th, 2014, 5:52 pm

rdeangelo wrote:
ybarselah wrote:Great thread, thanks for bumping it. Rosette is excellent and one of the coolest rooms in the city.

On the casual front, i'd add charlie bird to the list. had a recent meal outside on their patio and everything was really fresh and vibrant.

really need to try luksus.
Big fan of Rosette too but the chef is leaving:

http://www.grubstreet.com/2014/08/roset ... -chef.html
Bummer. Thanks for pointing that out, I missed it.

User avatar
Jorge Henriquez
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 13908
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:11 pm
Location: Westchester County, NY

New York City Restaurants

#21 Post by Jorge Henriquez » August 6th, 2014, 7:13 pm

Anybody been to Colette yet?
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

ITB - Golden Vines
http://golden-vines.com/

Mike Cohen
Posts: 2672
Joined: December 8th, 2009, 1:37 pm

New York City Restaurants

#22 Post by Mike Cohen » August 6th, 2014, 7:42 pm

Ate at Ivan Ramen tonight. Seriously good stuff, but I admit to liking Noodle Bar a tad more. The pickled Daikon Radish was off the charts. As a bonus, we sat next to Padma Lakshmi who is smoking hot!

Have eaten two meals at Charlie Bird over the past two weeks. Bright flavors with light enjoyable dishes. So good. Biggest complaint is the temperature of the room with the windows open.

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1481
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

New York City Restaurants

#23 Post by Robert Dentice » August 7th, 2014, 4:25 am

Mike Cohen wrote:Ate at Ivan Ramen tonight. Seriously good stuff, but I admit to liking Noodle Bar a tad more. The pickled Daikon Radish was off the charts. As a bonus, we sat next to Padma Lakshmi who is smoking hot!

Have eaten two meals at Charlie Bird over the past two weeks. Bright flavors with light enjoyable dishes. So good. Biggest complaint is the temperature of the room with the windows open.
I enjoyed Ivan Ramen as well. And they have a corkage policy.

RMolnar
Posts: 85
Joined: August 7th, 2014, 4:36 pm

New York City Restaurants

#24 Post by RMolnar » August 9th, 2014, 3:15 pm

Jorge Henriquez wrote:Anybody been to Colette yet?
Colette, or Claudette?

If you meant Claudette, we had a very solid dinner there a few weeks ago, marred only by the dreadful first (and I hope last) date going on two tables down. Good cocktails and wine list, especially if you like rose.
R@chel

User avatar
Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1129
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 10:34 am

New York City Restaurants

#25 Post by Ethan Abraham » August 9th, 2014, 5:28 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
Mike Cohen wrote:Ate at Ivan Ramen tonight. Seriously good stuff, but I admit to liking Noodle Bar a tad more. The pickled Daikon Radish was off the charts. As a bonus, we sat next to Padma Lakshmi who is smoking hot!

Have eaten two meals at Charlie Bird over the past two weeks. Bright flavors with light enjoyable dishes. So good. Biggest complaint is the temperature of the room with the windows open.
I enjoyed Ivan Ramen as well. And they have a corkage policy.
I wish the other Ivan Ramen (ie Gotham West Market) allowed corkage. That would be a fun place to have an interesting offline - each course from a different restaurant.

User avatar
Jorge Henriquez
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 13908
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:11 pm
Location: Westchester County, NY

New York City Restaurants

#26 Post by Jorge Henriquez » August 9th, 2014, 11:23 pm

RMolnar wrote:
Jorge Henriquez wrote:Anybody been to Colette yet?
Colette, or Claudette?

If you meant Claudette, we had a very solid dinner there a few weeks ago, marred only by the dreadful first (and I hope last) date going on two tables down. Good cocktails and wine list, especially if you like rose.
Sorry, meant Georgette on east 60th Street.
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

ITB - Golden Vines
http://golden-vines.com/

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1481
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

New York City Restaurants

#27 Post by Robert Dentice » August 10th, 2014, 9:49 am

Jorge Henriquez wrote:
RMolnar wrote:
Jorge Henriquez wrote:Anybody been to Colette yet?
Colette, or Claudette?

If you meant Claudette, we had a very solid dinner there a few weeks ago, marred only by the dreadful first (and I hope last) date going on two tables down. Good cocktails and wine list, especially if you like rose.
Sorry, meant Georgette on east 60th Street.
I have not been but a friend who I respect loves it. With the closing of Rouge Tomate last night (they are moving downtown), I will have to try it because I work in the neighborhood.

awilliamson4
Posts: 664
Joined: October 6th, 2010, 8:49 am
Location: Dallas, TX

New York City Restaurants

#28 Post by awilliamson4 » August 10th, 2014, 11:05 am

Was just there last week. Had excellent meals at Tessa, The Betony, and the new Nomad bar. The Betony was one of the best restaurant experiences I have had in the US.
Alston Williamson
Hatersgonhate

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1481
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

New York City Restaurants

#29 Post by Robert Dentice » August 19th, 2014, 1:19 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
Jorge Henriquez wrote:
RMolnar wrote:
Colette, or Claudette?

If you meant Claudette, we had a very solid dinner there a few weeks ago, marred only by the dreadful first (and I hope last) date going on two tables down. Good cocktails and wine list, especially if you like rose.
Sorry, meant Georgette on east 60th Street.
I have not been but a friend who I respect loves it. With the closing of Rouge Tomate last night (they are moving downtown), I will have to try it because I work in the neighborhood.
Went last night and I do not eat meat. The fish and all other dishes with one exception were mediocre. The meat dishes looked better but not much and not very inventive and extremely expensive. The wine list had a few ok things on it. No reason to go back. Such a sad stuffy alternative to Rouge Tomate which WAS right next store.

User avatar
Scott G r u n e r
Posts: 2984
Joined: June 6th, 2009, 9:03 pm
Location: Seattleish

New York City Restaurants

#30 Post by Scott G r u n e r » August 26th, 2014, 12:30 pm

Went to Betony last night. Very good. Would give a high recommendation. Showed a very very deft touch with the seafood, and all dishes were interesting. Didn't end up with any terrestrial dishes. You can see the EMP lineage, even in just how the menu is presented (3 flavors, no description of preparation, etc).
//Cynic

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 3252
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

New York City Restaurants

#31 Post by Ramon C » September 1st, 2014, 2:38 pm

There's plenty of new restaurants that are deservingly being bandied about in this thread. But, I'll have to add that an old one, a local institution afaic, thrives and continue to get better.

I just returned from another terrific lunch at Casa Mono. I eat here, probably, once every month or 2. This restaurant continue to produce all solid and, sometimes spectacular new dishes every time I go. The wine list, the most robust Spanish list that I've come upon in the country, is always a plus.

http://www.casamononyc.com/

I also had dinner, sat at the bar, last week at Pear and Ash. Small (or medium) plates served, just like Casa Mono. Other than the very good squid dish, the other 2 that I had were kinda not as memorable. I wished that that guy serving me from behind the bar would be more knowledgeable about their wines. I liked the girl, also working behind the bar, with the lone recommendation that she made when she came to my aid after noticing that my glass had been empty for a while.
@brera

Seth L.
Posts: 44
Joined: March 23rd, 2012, 9:47 am
Location: Greenpoint

New York City Restaurants

#32 Post by Seth L. » September 1st, 2014, 11:26 pm


Colette, or Claudette?

If you meant Claudette, we had a very solid dinner there a few weeks ago, marred only by the dreadful first (and I hope last) date going on two tables down. Good cocktails and wine list, especially if you like rose.
Thanks! glad you enjoyed. Please let me know if you come in again. Always great to welcome a fellow WB
Seth Liebman

Sarah Kirschbaum
Posts: 2058
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

New York City Restaurants

#33 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » September 16th, 2014, 12:02 pm

[I wish the other Ivan Ramen (ie Gotham West Market) allowed corkage. That would be a fun place to have an interesting offline - each course from a different restaurant.[/quote]

This is indeed a shame. We live just a few minutes away and really enjoy eating at the bar at el Colmado, the tapas place by the same folks as Tertulia. We've talked with them a number of times about BYO, and they wish they could allow it (they do at Tertulia), but it's one liquor license for the whole space and the rule is no. Fortunately, they have a decent manzanilla on tap.

User avatar
Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1129
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 10:34 am

New York City Restaurants

#34 Post by Ethan Abraham » September 16th, 2014, 12:44 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:[I wish the other Ivan Ramen (ie Gotham West Market) allowed corkage. That would be a fun place to have an interesting offline - each course from a different restaurant.
This is indeed a shame. We live just a few minutes away and really enjoy eating at the bar at el Colmado, the tapas place by the same folks as Tertulia. We've talked with them a number of times about BYO, and they wish they could allow it (they do at Tertulia), but it's one liquor license for the whole space and the rule is no. Fortunately, they have a decent manzanilla on tap.[/quote]

Interesting, is there a legal reason then, or is it just that management of the whole complex would have to clear it?

As an aside, how is business there at night? We only go for mid-day lunch on the weekends.

Sarah Kirschbaum
Posts: 2058
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

New York City Restaurants

#35 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » September 16th, 2014, 1:28 pm

Ethan Abraham wrote:
Interesting, is there a legal reason then, or is it just that management of the whole complex would have to clear it?

As an aside, how is business there at night? We only go for mid-day lunch on the weekends.
Don't know if it's a legal issue, no one ever said so, they just referred to the shared license. We've asked several times, and they have run it up the chain to their management, and come back with the same answer. They are definitely not being jerks about it, and have said repeatedly that they'd be more than happy to welcome us and our old rioja at Tertulia. They just can't do it there.

It's often hopping at night. We also go mostly for lunch on weekends. We loved it when the sidewalk bar/counter was open. Nick, one of the managers, is quite knowledgeable about sherry, so he and my husband enjoy chatting about that topic.

WvanGorp
Posts: 1535
Joined: April 19th, 2009, 9:37 am

New York City Restaurants

#36 Post by WvanGorp » September 19th, 2014, 4:32 am

Not related to BYOB (I don't think they allow it) but I went to Dirty French the other night, a new restaurant from the Torissi people on the LES. It was phenomenal. Second best meal of 2014. Stunning.
Wilfred van Gorp

Sarah Kirschbaum
Posts: 2058
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

New York City Restaurants

#37 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » September 19th, 2014, 9:18 am

Agreed, Wilfred. I had a solo meal here as well - very good, and the kind of place you'd be happy to eat regularly. The gnocchi were particularly good.

We also had a terrific meal at Estela the other night after a long hiatus. A series of strong dishes with bold flavors, balance and a deft touch. The service was outstanding, too. Example: one dish had a delicious broth element to it. When the protein was gone, the busboy moved to take the dish, but I told him I wanted to finish the broth. A bit later, another dish had a similar light sauce, which was left after the last bite of fish. I saw the same busboy look at our table, notice the dish, and visibly decide not to take it. Such a small thing, but indicative of high standards.

User avatar
Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1129
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 10:34 am

New York City Restaurants

#38 Post by Ethan Abraham » September 19th, 2014, 9:47 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:Agreed, Wilfred. I had a solo meal here as well - very good, and the kind of place you'd be happy to eat regularly. The gnocchi were particularly good.

We also had a terrific meal at Estela the other night after a long hiatus. A series of strong dishes with bold flavors, balance and a deft touch. The service was outstanding, too. Example: one dish had a delicious broth element to it. When the protein was gone, the busboy moved to take the dish, but I told him I wanted to finish the broth. A bit later, another dish had a similar light sauce, which was left after the last bite of fish. I saw the same busboy look at our table, notice the dish, and visibly decide not to take it. Such a small thing, but indicative of high standards.
Estela is just amazingly great. The food is just so much more interesting than anywhere else right now. I just wish the tables had a little more space.

Sarah Kirschbaum
Posts: 2058
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

New York City Restaurants

#39 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » September 24th, 2014, 4:56 am

As a follow up - a second meal at Dirty French last night, which I was very excited about after the first, was something of a disappointment. The duck was excellent, but every other dish was oily and, to me, lacking in an acidic component. The oiliness was particularly troubling as it was mentioned many times by the online reviewing crowd. Normally, I don't pay much attention to the Yelpers and their ilk, but when I find a repeated complaint from them in my own experience, I tend to think it's a general problem for the restaurant and not just an isolated incident.

It's still a nice restaurant and the duck breast was as perfectly prepared as any duck breast I've ever had, but right now I don't feel the need to go back or to take Jonathan there.

User avatar
Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4039
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 12:48 pm

New York City Restaurants

#40 Post by Paul Jaouen » September 24th, 2014, 6:01 am

Hmmmm....I told Wilfred on Saturday that next time he went to Dirty French I would go with him. I guess maybe I'll wait and see what develops.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Sarah Kirschbaum
Posts: 2058
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

New York City Restaurants

#41 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » September 24th, 2014, 6:17 am

By all means try it, Paul. It wasn't a disaster last night at all, and the first meal there was much stronger. The oiliness does concern me, but that could very well be a matter of taste, though one shared by others it seems. If the restaurant is doing it consistently, then someone in the kitchen must think it's the right way to prepare the dishes, after all. I do like more lift (acid in this case) and less oil in general.

I wouldn't at all complain if someone wanted me to go there with them. It's just that, with Estela and other places I love on the LES, it won't be my first choice.

WvanGorp
Posts: 1535
Joined: April 19th, 2009, 9:37 am

New York City Restaurants

#42 Post by WvanGorp » September 25th, 2014, 4:18 am

I'm going there Tuesday night for a business dinner. I'll report back and Paul, we can go soon and perform our due diligence. Maybe Sarah can join and we can investigate....
Wilfred van Gorp

User avatar
Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4039
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 12:48 pm

New York City Restaurants

#43 Post by Paul Jaouen » September 25th, 2014, 5:40 am

All sounds good Wilfred.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

ybarselah
Posts: 5574
Joined: July 15th, 2009, 2:29 pm

New York City Restaurants

#44 Post by ybarselah » September 25th, 2014, 6:39 pm

went last week - loved it. thought the duck was solid, but the two apps we had, the lamb carpaccio and the salmon, were amazing.

corkage is $75... ;-)
Yaacov (ITB)

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12829
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

New York City Restaurants

#45 Post by Jay Miller » October 20th, 2014, 3:43 pm

What's the noise level like at Contra?
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1481
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

New York City Restaurants

#46 Post by Robert Dentice » October 21st, 2014, 4:28 am

Jay Miller wrote:What's the noise level like at Contra?
Jay - It is very loud in the dining room. If you don't mind eating at the Bar the noise level is more reasonable. I prefer to dine there.

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12829
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

New York City Restaurants

#47 Post by Jay Miller » October 21st, 2014, 6:51 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
Jay Miller wrote:What's the noise level like at Contra?
Jay - It is very loud in the dining room. If you don't mind eating at the Bar the noise level is more reasonable. I prefer to dine there.
Thank you for the warning!

Some friends are coming into town and one of them is even more noise-averse than I am (which I had though a virtual impossibility). Unfortunately Racines is closed that night so I'm poking around for other options. We did Marea on their last visit, leaning towards Jungsik at the moment.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1481
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

New York City Restaurants

#48 Post by Robert Dentice » October 21st, 2014, 8:48 am

Jay Miller wrote:
Robert Dentice wrote:
Jay Miller wrote:What's the noise level like at Contra?
Jay - It is very loud in the dining room. If you don't mind eating at the Bar the noise level is more reasonable. I prefer to dine there.
Thank you for the warning!

Some friends are coming into town and one of them is even more noise-averse than I am (which I had though a virtual impossibility). Unfortunately Racines is closed that night so I'm poking around for other options. We did Marea on their last visit, leaning towards Jungsik at the moment.
Jungsik is fantastic but pricey. One of the better meals I have had this year.

If you don't mind going to Brooklyn. Luksus is fantastic and a relative value.

I a recent meal at Kura was also outstanding and very quiet - it is Japanese.

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12829
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

New York City Restaurants

#49 Post by Jay Miller » October 21st, 2014, 8:57 am

Robert Dentice wrote: Jungsik is fantastic but pricey. One of the better meals I have had this year.

If you don't mind going to Brooklyn. Luksus is fantastic and a relative value.

I a recent meal at Kura was also outstanding and very quiet - it is Japanese.

I don't mind Brooklyn but the G train may be asking too much :)
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1481
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

New York City Restaurants

#50 Post by Robert Dentice » October 21st, 2014, 9:01 am

Jay Miller wrote:
Robert Dentice wrote: Jungsik is fantastic but pricey. One of the better meals I have had this year.

If you don't mind going to Brooklyn. Luksus is fantastic and a relative value.

I a recent meal at Kura was also outstanding and very quiet - it is Japanese.

I don't mind Brooklyn but the G train may be asking too much :)
I should also add that Luksus is beer only but they are very accomodating if you bring wine and the corkage is reasonable.

Post Reply

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”