Local Butchers Anyone?

Since I see the Flannery love everywhere, I was wondering how many people use a local butcher for their steaks. I was told about a local butcher near me that specializes in USDA prime beef. We picked up a couple of prime filets for Xmas which were amazing. While we were there we signed up for their email list. Every email has my mouth watering and feeling the urge to buy myself a big commercial freezer. Here is a recent sampling of what they send out:

This Week’s Special’s Are:
USDA Prime First Cut Filet Mignon
Custom Cut and Freezer wrapped
Untrimmed $14.99/lb BUY 2 or More $13.99/lb 3 or More $12.99/lb 4 or More $10.99
Each piece weighs approximately 4 ½ - 5 lbs gross weight. Cutting loss is approx. 45% Net weight approximately 2½ -3lbs Regular price $39.98/lb with this sale you SAVE approximately 32 to 50%
Remember only 1/3 of 1% of all US cattle make the USDA Prime grade.
Out of a 1600 lb steer you only get 8-10lbs of FILET MIGNON.
Please call Ahead Freezer wrap No Extra Charge! This is a GREAT DEAL! TREAT YOURSELF!
IN OUR FREEZER WRAP THIS WILL STAY FRESH FOR 8 MONTHS The more you buy the more you save! Get together with some friends and get the best price!

Our 47th annual Sweetheart Valentine’s Day Sale
USDA Prime Heart-Shaped Club Steaks
(Rib-Eye) On Speical 20% OFF Regularly $19.89/lb NOW $15.91/lb Average cost per person $11.93
You can’t beat that! Why go out? You won’t get this Quality and you’ll pay so much more.

Pink Brazilian Shrimp
Extra large 21-25 pcs per lb. In the rough, peeled, or cooked-peeled-deveined. All at the same price. Regularly $17.98/lb NOW $13.49/lb That’s 25% Off.

AKK- Super Jumbo Alaskan King Crab Legs
These are the biggest and the best Mother Nature makes…(you won’t see these at Red Lobster!)
Regularly $24.89/lb this week $16.89/lb SAVE $8.00/lb or 30%.

Tender, Extra Lean, No Fat, No Gristle Pork Cutlets pounded thin better than Veal Cutlets.
More flavor just as tender. For Marsala, Parmesan, or just bread and pan fry. Make a few extra and freeze for a Heat and Eat dinner. Fresh or flash frozen. Hope you see this one Susan A, $4.99/lb SAVE $2.00/lb Approximately 6 pcs per lb. Our Nature VEAL CUTLETS still 28.89/lb

Ready for some comfort Food?
Our Own Fresh Ground Meatloaf/ Meatball Mixture Of 50% beef 25% veal 25% pork. Only $2.99/lb SAVE $.90/lb
Make extra and freeze cooked or fresh and cook later.

Our Own Homemade Country Sausage
NOW $2.99/lb SAVE $2.00/lb No fillers or additives.

New 4 U: Ya Gotta try Em! Micro, Grill, Even with eggs.
Smoked Sausage with cheddar cheese. 5 links per 12oz. pkg only $3.79 per pkg.

We are now taking orders for our famous homemade Corned Beef. We only made 1,400 lbs last year and we sold out. CALL ASAP!

I have been severely let down by local butchers…even being in a beef centric area such as DFW. I much rather go to Costco for my hunting locally.

Dave, would that be Fleischer’s in Rhinebeck, NY by any chance?

No, this is a place in Bridgewater, NJ.

Out with it Dave!!

BTW Fleischer’s now ships.

John’s Meat market in Scotch Plains, NJ has done well by me on numerous occassions. The American lamb, he has gotten for me was fantastic, as well as pork loin, and a standing rib roast.

My brother (who lives in Fanwood) shops there frequently. Good stuff!

Yeah, unfortunately only to Manhattan. Just as I leave. [cray.gif]

Fleisher’s rocks! I bought some grass-fed beef from them after Jorge’s wedding and did a beef-off with grass vs grain, it was interesting. Both cuts were delicious, however. They ship to Manhattan? AWESOME! [taunt.gif]

In NYC, I like both Florence Meat Market and (yes, gasp, horror!) Grace’s. I’ve found the 28-day dry-aged boneless sirloins from Grace’s to be both fantastic and relatively inexpensive.
Cheers! [gen_fro.gif]

big fan of the local butcher around here. Dewars in Newton offers a great selection of cuts with fair prices. Even picked up some of these bad boys for $49.99 per pound!

Tyler, that’s beautiful. It looks more like meaty butter than buttery meat.

It was awesome stuff for sure. In all honesty, it was really rich and hard to finish 16oz per person. Next time I will opt for the 12oz cut.

We have a good one here in Oakland called Ver Brugge. Terrific bacon, steaks and even pretty good seafood. Prices are very fair too.

I didn’t mean to sound secretive about the place. It is Hind and Fore in Bridgewater. My sister is picking up a filet mignon (on sale) for me this weekend but I think I’m going to freeze it as the wife is at the in-laws until Monday.

I have also stopped by John’s on my way home from work one day and picked up some ribeyes and sirloing burgers. I didn’t love the ribeyes, but in their defense I prefer leaner cuts so I’m pretty sure it was me that was the problem not the steaks. The burgers were massive and very good (since I had lower expectations for the burgers).