Official kitchen knife thread

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member

Hattori knives

#451 Post by Nick Gangas » September 9th, 2015, 5:12 pm

damn Robert that looks beautiful. I'm looking for a nakiri too.

I'll check back.

Robert Pollard-Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

Hattori knives

#452 Post by Robert Pollard-Smith » September 9th, 2015, 6:17 pm

Nick, if you are in a hurry, Japan Woodworker has the 180mm version in stock at a closeout price of $180.98 for some reason (you may want to inquire re condition).

Also, be forewarned— Shigefusa's steel is very reactive, so if you do not like patina (and quick rusting, if not careful), and prefer low maintenance, steer clear.
He's like a star on a foggy morning
When you think he's near, he's far away

Robert Pollard-Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

Hattori knives

#453 Post by Robert Pollard-Smith » November 3rd, 2015, 9:35 pm

At Bloomberg.com, there is a very nicely made video of the two craftsman at Bloodroot Blades that was just posted today.

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

Hattori knives

#454 Post by CJ Beazley » November 4th, 2015, 6:19 am

Robert Pollard-Smith wrote:At Bloomberg.com, there is a very nicely made video of the two craftsman at Bloodroot Blades that was just posted today.
Great video. About 15 years ago I bought some knives from a guy in Japan. In an email written in broken English he wrote "I soften the handle so the knives won't have a feeling of two hammers striking" I never really understood what he meant till I watched the video. He soften the steel inside the handle so it would have some "spring" just like these guys do.
I know a little bit about metallurgy, I think I would rather have one made from the old car springs than the saw blade.
Thanks for posting
It's C(raig)

Robert Pollard-Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

Hattori knives

#455 Post by Robert Pollard-Smith » November 4th, 2015, 7:52 am

Hey, Alan— if you check on this, can you change the thread title to "The Official Kitchen Knife Thread" or similar?

And a heads-up to Chicagoans— we have another knife vendor- Sam McDermott at Buttermilk Supply] in Logan Square. He only will accept visitors by appointment, but it is well worth it— he has a great, albeit small lineup of wares, and knows his stuff. I purchased a Shigefusa Nakiri from him in September, and arranged for a sharpening lesson in October. It is also fun to look at your edge under his 400x metallurgical microscope.

M Hudson

Hattori knives

#456 Post by M Hudson » November 4th, 2015, 9:57 am

Robert Pollard-Smith wrote:At Bloomberg.com, there is a very nicely made video of the two craftsman at Bloodroot Blades that was just posted today.

those guys have gone cult status in the geek knife community.

I have gotten to the point where when anything goes to that status I drop off immediately.

I use to buy a decent selection from Ian hayburn and recently my ealy parer magiclay walked out of my home, so I called ian about getting another custom to replace it. when he shot me back a quote for 450 for a silly paring knife, I walked away from him too.

I get craftsmanship, I do, but some of these things (and I think bloodroot is right on that edge) are getting out of hand
M@rk
Actions Matter

Robert Pollard-Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

Hattori knives

#457 Post by Robert Pollard-Smith » November 4th, 2015, 12:29 pm

The custom arena is wayyy beyond where I need to play.

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

Hattori knives

#458 Post by Alan Eden » November 4th, 2015, 3:11 pm

Does anyone know anyone in Chicago area who can reset a handle for me, i dont have tools at all to work on things
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Robert Pollard-Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

Hattori knives

#459 Post by Robert Pollard-Smith » November 4th, 2015, 7:27 pm

Alan, Sam at Buttermilk makes knives, give him a poke.

CWun
GCC Member
GCC Member

#460 Post by CWun » November 4th, 2015, 10:06 pm

Wilburn Forge used to be not thaaaat expensive relative to the big names, now he is one of the Big Names.
C@r_y

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#461 Post by Alan Eden » November 4th, 2015, 11:03 pm

There are plenty of remote people, the issue is that shipping both ways by Fedex would make it $40 minimum just to reset the handle, hoping to get it done less that that locally as i believe its only a ten minute job for someone who knows how to do it
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Robert Pollard-Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#462 Post by Robert Pollard-Smith » November 27th, 2015, 9:18 am

Going into SF today with our Oakland pals, and will try to steer them into a visit to Bernal Cutlery, and bring them into the light.

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#463 Post by CJ Beazley » December 12th, 2015, 6:32 am

Inside Bob Kramer knives with Anthony Bourdain. He makes a knife using a meteor.

http://www.thedailymeal.com/news/entert ... ass/091115
It's C(raig)

Karr!ng M o a n

#464 Post by Karr!ng M o a n » December 13th, 2015, 6:19 am

CWun wrote:Wilburn Forge used to be not thaaaat expensive relative to the big names, now he is one of the Big Names.
Yeah, once they get their master smith stamp, prices jump quite a bit. But I have also been noticing that newer makers who have trained under other master smiths have been starting with higher prices right out of the gate -- especially in the pacific northwest. If someone apprentices under Bob Kramer (Mareko Maumasi for instance) there is little chance his knives will ever be in the 'value' range and will only increase in price until he gets his stamp, then fly from there.

k.

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#465 Post by Alan Eden » December 13th, 2015, 7:46 am

Karring

Hows it going, any good wine finds this year ?

Ive been branching out into cali cabs, got onto the Saxum tier 2 list so i get a nice amount of Saxum which i love. Been trying a lot of things some successfully and some not so much

The only knife i bought recently was a Shun, but it was to me a steal on Ebob, the 10 inch blue #2 wa Kiritsuke, i love it and at price i paid its a great workhorse knife. I need to get a couple of new knives, no reason just for the fun of it i know u understand that, whats the latest good stuff ? has Jon got any new thicker blades in ? i love Gesshin Hide Blue wa Gyuto i got but most of his knives are to thin for me

Karr!ng M o a n

#466 Post by Karr!ng M o a n » December 13th, 2015, 4:44 pm

I've been quiet on the knife and wine forums for a while, and it will likely continue this way for a year or two more. My wife is in the middle of a partnership buy-in and we are fixing up a house for sale, so I have put a hold on knife buying and gone the budget route with wine drinking. I actually quit most of my clubs, but I did keep a half-dozen or so that were closed lists. For the most part I just value shop off of WineLibrary with their Library Pass for free shipping.

So that's my story. Nothing outstanding for wines or knives at the time being really -- though I did go to a big tasting at a local wine shop last night.

Karring
Alan Eden wrote:Karring

Hows it going, any good wine finds this year ?

Ive been branching out into cali cabs, got onto the Saxum tier 2 list so i get a nice amount of Saxum which i love. Been trying a lot of things some successfully and some not so much

The only knife i bought recently was a Shun, but it was to me a steal on Ebob, the 10 inch blue #2 wa Kiritsuke, i love it and at price i paid its a great workhorse knife. I need to get a couple of new knives, no reason just for the fun of it i know u understand that, whats the latest good stuff ? has Jon got any new thicker blades in ? i love Gesshin Hide Blue wa Gyuto i got but most of his knives are to thin for me

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#467 Post by Alan Eden » December 13th, 2015, 8:42 pm

You might want to check out expressionsofthevine, its $99 but that gets you unlimited free shipping and 30% off a lot of good wines

Karr!ng M o a n

#468 Post by Karr!ng M o a n » December 16th, 2015, 6:26 pm

Alan Eden wrote:You might want to check out expressionsofthevine, its $99 but that gets you unlimited free shipping and 30% off a lot of good wines
Will do. Thanks.

k.

Robert Pollard-Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#469 Post by Robert Pollard-Smith » February 12th, 2016, 7:59 pm

A useful bump...

Just was directed to a 2001 LA Times article about Tokifusa Iizuka, of Shigefusa.
The balance of the knife is so refined, it feels like an extension of the hand. In a world where nearly everything seems to be made on an assembly line, Iizuka's knives stand out for being entirely made by hand.

It is a dying craft. Even among knife makers, Iizuka and his two sons are among the few smiths who do the entire process themselves, with no automated machinery, from the forging to the grinding to the polishing. The small workshop behind Iizuka's rural home is almost primitive--his eyes are his most valuable tool.

Suggest that Iizuka's knives are art, however, and he dismisses the notion. "I'm a craftsman," he retorts. "They are tools. They should be used."
I am always disappointed when I have a task that is unsuited for my nakiri- it is such a delight to use.

Karr!ng M o a n

#470 Post by Karr!ng M o a n » February 12th, 2016, 8:30 pm

Robert Pollard-Smith wrote: I am always disappointed when I have a task that is unsuited for my nakiri- it is such a delight to use.
Nakiris are fun to use. Full stop.

k.

Karr!ng M o a n

#471 Post by Karr!ng M o a n » February 12th, 2016, 8:35 pm

Karr!ng M o a n wrote:
Robert Pollard-Smith wrote: I am always disappointed when I have a task that is unsuited for my nakiri- it is such a delight to use.
Nakiris are fun to use. Full stop. Just enough knuckle clearance, easy to sharpen, no tip to worry about, and it excels at so many veggie tasks that are common in the American kitchen (except onions).

k.

Robert Pollard-Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#472 Post by Robert Pollard-Smith » February 13th, 2016, 6:24 am

Karr!ng M o a n wrote:
Karr!ng M o a n wrote:
Nakiris are fun to use. Full stop. Just enough knuckle clearance, easy to sharpen, no tip to worry about, and it excels at so many veggie tasks that are common in the American kitchen (except onions).

k.
Well, I managed to put a 1mm circular chip at the front corner of mine as a result of poor technique, so you can worry about the tip. A couple of minutes on the stones, and it's as good as used.

newhere

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor

#473 Post by Joe Chanley » May 3rd, 2016, 5:22 am

Looking for some feedback....I currently use a wedding set of heckel's that are nearing 10 years old and I've been reading this thread for a bit. I'd like to get a nicer chef's nice, but not sure where to start. I went to Sur La Table to check out a few things and handle some different blades and the in-store salesperson suggested the Kramer Essential 8 inch as a good next step since I'm used to the weight of a german knife, but it essentially has a thinner blade for more precise cuts.

Curious if anyone can provide suggestions based on your own experience on stepping up to a nicer chef's knife/gyuto - opinions, suggestions on the product itself, etc.

Thanks.

Michael Klein

#474 Post by Michael Klein » May 3rd, 2016, 2:13 pm

did buttermilk close in chicago? or is it just impossible to get in touch with them? i'm talking months of emails and phone calls unreturned at this point....

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#475 Post by Jay Miller » May 4th, 2016, 11:05 am

Joe Chanley wrote:Looking for some feedback....I currently use a wedding set of heckel's that are nearing 10 years old and I've been reading this thread for a bit. I'd like to get a nicer chef's nice, but not sure where to start. I went to Sur La Table to check out a few things and handle some different blades and the in-store salesperson suggested the Kramer Essential 8 inch as a good next step since I'm used to the weight of a german knife, but it essentially has a thinner blade for more precise cuts.

Curious if anyone can provide suggestions based on your own experience on stepping up to a nicer chef's knife/gyuto - opinions, suggestions on the product itself, etc.

Thanks.
Where are you located? If anywhere NYC I'd stop in at Korin during their annual sale (or better - just before their annual sale to select the knives and then order them once the sale starts).
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor

#476 Post by Joe Chanley » May 4th, 2016, 1:00 pm

Jay Miller wrote:
Joe Chanley wrote:Looking for some feedback....I currently use a wedding set of heckel's that are nearing 10 years old and I've been reading this thread for a bit. I'd like to get a nicer chef's nice, but not sure where to start. I went to Sur La Table to check out a few things and handle some different blades and the in-store salesperson suggested the Kramer Essential 8 inch as a good next step since I'm used to the weight of a german knife, but it essentially has a thinner blade for more precise cuts.

Thanks.
Where are you located? If anywhere NYC I'd stop in at Korin during their annual sale (or better - just before their annual sale to select the knives and then order them once the sale starts).
Thanks Jay. I'm in NJ - when does that sale typically take place?

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#477 Post by Jay Miller » May 4th, 2016, 1:45 pm

Joe Chanley wrote:
Jay Miller wrote:

Thanks.
Thanks Jay. I'm in NJ - when does that sale typically take place?
They always have a sale in December, they sometimes have a sale in the summer. If you register on their website you'll get the emails when they have a knife sale. The store can be crowded during the sale so deciding what you like beforehand is a good idea.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor

#478 Post by Joe Chanley » May 5th, 2016, 6:39 am

Jay Miller wrote:They always have a sale in December, they sometimes have a sale in the summer. If you register on their website you'll get the emails when they have a knife sale. The store can be crowded during the sale so deciding what you like beforehand is a good idea.
excellent, thanks Jay. like I said, I'm looking for a step up, so hands on testing is probably the most efficient way to go

M Hudson

#479 Post by M Hudson » May 17th, 2016, 9:41 am

I have quite a few knives ranging from wantanabee to very high end customs. I dont mean devin thomas customs, but some from the next generation of smiths.

After 2-3 years of use I will say I got over the fancy looks of my higher end customs and find myself using the wantanabee knives the most of anything,

http://www.kitchen-knife.jp/

My suggestion is to start with a few from his pro line and get use to sharpening. They are quality knives, they will outlive you, and they are priced well for the quality. If you decide you want to move up in knives, they also sell well.

I will say the one knife I use all the time that I am glad I spent the money on is a 210 petty from

https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/co ... 1-wa-petty

I would not recommend that knife unless you have really honed your sharpening skills.
M@rk
Actions Matter

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor

#480 Post by Joe Chanley » May 17th, 2016, 11:40 am

M Hudson wrote:I have quite a few knives ranging from wantanabee to very high end customs. I dont mean devin thomas customs, but some from the next generation of smiths.

After 2-3 years of use I will say I got over the fancy looks of my higher end customs and find myself using the wantanabee knives the most of anything,

http://www.kitchen-knife.jp/

My suggestion is to start with a few from his pro line and get use to sharpening. They are quality knives, they will outlive you, and they are priced well for the quality. If you decide you want to move up in knives, they also sell well.

I will say the one knife I use all the time that I am glad I spent the money on is a 210 petty from

https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/co ... 1-wa-petty

I would not recommend that knife unless you have really honed your sharpening skills.
Thanks for the note......I was all set to spend a decent amount on a custom and my thinking has come full circle to what you mentioned above....working on knife skills and sharpening first and going from there. I just started trading emails with Jon at JKI for some insight into the Gesshin blades.

In regards to the Wattanabee knives, anything in particular to know about the ordering process? The website is a little rough. Thanks.

M Hudson

#481 Post by M Hudson » May 17th, 2016, 5:33 pm

It's cake, just send an email re which knives you want and he sends you a paypal invoice. About 9 days later your knife is here.

The 165 nikiri santuko set is nice and my wife feels comfortable with those. I have a 240 gyuto of his that I love. I also have a 125 petty of his I love.

Dont get me wrong, I have 3 of jons kegekiyos....but they are very thin and require a lot of care. Not a first knife in my opinion. If you want to go with him I have used the geshin Ginga 210 gyuto and liked it. He has some new lines now I don't know well.

So going in circles...if I were to build a knife set to start....210 gyuto, 165 or 180 nikiri depending on your size and comfort, a 150 petty and a paring Later add a 210 petty or even a 270 Suji depending on your food prep

I would say buy jons starter stone set for learning to sharpen and watch his videos.
M@rk
Actions Matter

rgmullen

#482 Post by rgmullen » June 13th, 2016, 4:52 pm

I cook a good bit and decided to start with Shun Premier. Probably not the sexiest but I wanted something safe to start with. I have scratched them a fair bit while sharpening. Is this a rookie mistake or normal?
R o b e r t M u l l e n

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#483 Post by Alan Eden » June 13th, 2016, 6:31 pm

Scratched where ?

if your scratching the main blade then you are at far to flat of an angle, for a shun it should be 15 degrees, a few scratches right the edge are fine but these should buff out with stropping

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor

#484 Post by Joe Chanley » June 14th, 2016, 5:53 am

Never reported back, but I picked up a Gesshin Kagero Gyuto from Jon at JKI.....so far I'm loving it.

Bruce Leiser_owitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#485 Post by Bruce Leiser_owitz » June 14th, 2016, 9:46 am

Suggestions for a good, "reasonably priced" serrated bread knife? I don't need anything ultra-premium, but need good quality now that I'm regularly baking my own sourdough bread. It has to be able to cut through a thick crust while at the same time being gentle with the softer inside crumb.

Thanks, Bruce
"Bruce you are correct."--Andrew Kaufman, 3/24/13.

rgmullen

#486 Post by rgmullen » June 14th, 2016, 4:14 pm

Alan Eden wrote:Scratched where ?

if your scratching the main blade then you are at far to flat of an angle, for a shun it should be 15 degrees, a few scratches right the edge are fine but these should buff out with stropping
I think that was the case. It was my first couple of sharpening passes that did the damage. I am starting to get the hang of it now.

Thanks.
R o b e r t M u l l e n

CWun
GCC Member
GCC Member

#487 Post by CWun » June 15th, 2016, 6:32 am

Bruce Leiser_owitz wrote:Suggestions for a good, "reasonably priced" serrated bread knife? I don't need anything ultra-premium, but need good quality now that I'm regularly baking my own sourdough bread. It has to be able to cut through a thick crust while at the same time being gentle with the softer inside crumb.

Thanks, Bruce
Victorian/forschner. Cook's illustrated top pick too. I have it and its cuts through my baked loaves no problem. Cheap too
C@r_y

Chris S p i k e s

#488 Post by Chris S p i k e s » June 15th, 2016, 7:33 am

Bruce Leiser_owitz wrote:Suggestions for a good, "reasonably priced" serrated bread knife? I don't need anything ultra-premium, but need good quality now that I'm regularly baking my own sourdough bread. It has to be able to cut through a thick crust while at the same time being gentle with the softer inside crumb.

Thanks, Bruce
How about these as suggested by Mark above:

http://www.kitchen-knife.jp/special/breadknife.htm

I'm curious about opinions regarding the serration patterns since I've never used these hybrid or partially serrated edges. Anyone?

They aren't cheap, but certainly don't rise to the stratosphere like some knives do. Don't know exactly what "reasonably priced" means to your knife world. I have friends that would flip out at the thought of spending $50 on a knife and others that feel like sub $500 is a deal.

Bruce Leiser_owitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#489 Post by Bruce Leiser_owitz » June 15th, 2016, 9:44 am

CWun wrote:

Thanks, Bruce
Victorian/forschner. Cook's illustrated top pick too. I have it and its cuts through my baked loaves no problem. Cheap too
Thanks, I'm contemplating getting the 10 inch version because the larger blade is recommended for cutting through the homemade boules. Looks like it's well-reviewed as well:

Bruce
"Bruce you are correct."--Andrew Kaufman, 3/24/13.

M Hudson

#490 Post by M Hudson » June 23rd, 2016, 5:06 am

I dont own one, but the knife geeks I know say the fibrox is more or less the way to go.... (the one listed above) I dont hang out on the knife forums like I use to, but even then I dont remember anyone buying high end bread knives.
M@rk
Actions Matter

Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#491 Post by Kenny H » June 23rd, 2016, 9:54 am

M Hudson wrote:I dont own one, but the knife geeks I know say the fibrox is more or less the way to go.... (the one listed above) I dont hang out on the knife forums like I use to, but even then I dont remember anyone buying high end bread knives.
Mark - about to put in an order for the wantanabee 165 pro santoku. seems like a very good price at $200. Any other santokus you would recommend before I finalize? I don't mind paying a little more for longevity and blade strength.
H0eve!kamp

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#492 Post by MitchTallan » June 25th, 2016, 8:51 am

I like knives. I am usually a global guy but just ordered a Daistrong VG-10 chef's knife. Not particularly exotic/expensive at $120.
I have had one of these for a long time-incredible feel in the hand http://www.cutleryandmore.com/chroma-ty ... ife-p14671
When I'm camping, this Benchmade becomes my kitchen knife http://www.cabelas.com/product/Benchmad ... 6CQ_st%3Db

D@v!d P@rt@!n

#493 Post by D@v!d P@rt@!n » June 25th, 2016, 7:22 pm

Regarding the serrated bread knife. On a whim in Vegas, I purchased a Porsche Design #301 at the outlet for < $100. It has proven to be sharp as a razor and the best bread/tomato slicer I have ever used.
ITB: Todd did not send me a bill

Ncmussell

#494 Post by Ncmussell » August 15th, 2016, 11:20 am

Looking for value ideas on Japanese knives. If I am spending $100 what should I seek out? What about the same for something at $50 or even $150. Not looking for anything crazy custom or high end obviously for those price points. Just curious about what people have had good success with in those price ranges. I have been into the gyuto style lately but anything "chef" knife style wise works just fine. Thanks in advance!
Nate Mussell

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#495 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 15th, 2016, 12:15 pm

Ncmussell wrote:Looking for value ideas on Japanese knives. If I am spending $100 what should I seek out? What about the same for something at $50 or even $150. Not looking for anything crazy custom or high end obviously for those price points. Just curious about what people have had good success with in those price ranges. I have been into the gyuto style lately but anything "chef" knife style wise works just fine. Thanks in advance!
I'll be awaiting a reply on this also...
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

D@v1dZ

#496 Post by D@v1dZ » August 15th, 2016, 12:37 pm

My recommendation would be to focus on steel, rather than producer. If you get the right steel, and you get a decent producer, you can always deal with fit and finish issues by tweaking the knife once it arrives.

Ncmussell

#497 Post by Ncmussell » August 15th, 2016, 12:49 pm

DavidZ wrote:My recommendation would be to focus on steel, rather than producer. If you get the right steel, and you get a decent producer, you can always deal with fit and finish issues by tweaking the knife once it arrives.
I think thats exactly what I was hoping to get at. What steel should I expect at those different price points or even what steel would be recommended if you are spending in those dollar figures.
Nate Mussell

P. Willenberg

#498 Post by P. Willenberg » August 15th, 2016, 12:54 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Ncmussell wrote:Looking for value ideas on Japanese knives. If I am spending $100 what should I seek out? What about the same for something at $50 or even $150. Not looking for anything crazy custom or high end obviously for those price points. Just curious about what people have had good success with in those price ranges. I have been into the gyuto style lately but anything "chef" knife style wise works just fine. Thanks in advance!
I'd take a look at anything Tojiro makes. Nice value at the under $150 level

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/todpda18gy.html
Paul (@pwillen1 on CT, Twitter, Instagram)
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#499 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 15th, 2016, 1:13 pm

P. Willenberg wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
I'd take a look at anything Tojiro makes. Nice value at the under $150 level

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/todpda18gy.html
Awesome, thank you
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#500 Post by Ethan Abraham » August 15th, 2016, 1:30 pm

On a related note, anyone have a good rec for a set of stones to sharpen with? Ordering online is confusing to say the least, as it seems like a lot of what is on amazon is not properly labelled.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”