Official kitchen knife thread

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
ybarselah

Re: Official kitchen knife thread

#601 Post by ybarselah » February 2nd, 2019, 8:03 am

have spent a few hours on this thread and have two questions.

can someone please recommend a large in-drawer knife storage solution? i can't seem to find one that doesn't have 2 layers.

is there a really good petty out there for around $150 or under? on the longer side. western handle preferred. (very happy to buy one from someone on this board if anyone has extras that are in great condition).

thanks! amazing thread.
Yaacov (ITB)

David Cooper

#602 Post by David Cooper » February 2nd, 2019, 10:56 am

ybarselah wrote:
February 2nd, 2019, 8:03 am
have spent a few hours on this thread and have two questions.

can someone please recommend a large in-drawer knife storage solution? i can't seem to find one that doesn't have 2 layers.

is there a really good petty out there for around $150 or under? on the longer side. western handle preferred. (very happy to buy one from someone on this board if anyone has extras that are in great condition).

thanks! amazing thread.
This one, I don't, own it, but like how it looks and feels in person:

ybarselah

#603 Post by ybarselah » February 3rd, 2019, 7:56 am

that looks great and priced well - thank you!
Yaacov (ITB)

Michael Lee

#604 Post by Michael Lee » February 4th, 2019, 12:20 pm

I would recommend the Gesshin Ginga Western Stainless knives at Japanese Knife Imports. The 150 is out of stock, but they should be getting restocked in the very near future. https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/co ... less-petty

I use a 210 Gesshin Ginga western petty for all kinds of things, from trimming briskets to slicing fish, green onions, and skinning small fillets. It's easy to maintain and clean, and sharpen; it's well balanced, thin behind the edge, and a great all-around knife.

ybarselah

#605 Post by ybarselah » February 7th, 2019, 12:46 pm

thanks michael - i actually have a gesshin gyuto which i love.
Yaacov (ITB)

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#606 Post by CJ Beazley » February 25th, 2019, 1:10 pm

Anyone have a knife made of VG-10, if so likes/dislikes?
It's C(raig)

Lee Short

#607 Post by Lee Short » February 25th, 2019, 8:59 pm

CJ Beazley wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 1:10 pm
I have a couple. They are my better guest knives (ie, for the guests that I trust with Japanese steel at all), and my traveling knives. They don't have the very sharpest edge, or the very best retention, but they were eye-opening when I just got into j-knives, and they are still more than serviceable. Of course, the grind and heat treatment matter.

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#608 Post by MitchTallan » March 9th, 2019, 11:29 am

I just bought some Geshin knives from japaneseknifeimports and Jon called me after receiving my order to make sure I knew what I was buying. In particular, he asked if I was familiar with Japanese knives (yes and no I answered, I have owned a ton of Globals but not artisinal knives of this caliber) and he wanted me to be aware that the 240mm Ginga Gyuto that I had ordered was brittle and needed to be used carefully. He explained that the thin brittle blade of the Ginga has advantages and disadvantages. It does not displace vegetables as they are sliced and has an incredible edge but it can't withstand lateral forces against a cutting board. He sent me a video to watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c4RD5E ... 5N7eakBYx
I find this amusing and humbling; I have been known to criticize others for using this exact technique, although in my defense they were using cheap knives. I had been taught to use the rocking motion with the tip stationary or nearly stationary on the board-the exact motion Jon says to avoid in order to prevent micro-chipping of the brittle blade on the Ginga. So my take-away is that proper knife technique depends on the type of knife being used. Granted, I knew this already with respect to using a filet knife, paring knife, or cleaver but it is equally true even among similarly shaped and sized knives.
I am very happy with the look and feel of the knives I bought. Jon wrote a long handwritten letter thanking me for the purchase. I didn't need the new knives. But I wanted to own some.

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#609 Post by CJ Beazley » March 9th, 2019, 3:16 pm

Lee Short wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 8:59 pm
CJ Beazley wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 1:10 pm
I have a couple. They are my better guest knives (ie, for the guests that I trust with Japanese steel at all), and my traveling knives. They don't have the very sharpest edge, or the very best retention, but they were eye-opening when I just got into j-knives, and they are still more than serviceable. Of course, the grind and heat treatment matter.
I’ve found some that are only Rockwell 60, and tout excellent edge and retention. I was thinking I’d try a petty and see how I like it. Looking at a SLD also.

*Mitch, thanks for the video. I must say I’ve used Japanese style knives for year & years and I’ve never chipped one, and I have some very very thin full Damascus. I hope you enjoy your new ones.
It's C(raig)

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#610 Post by Alan Eden » April 7th, 2019, 12:54 pm

9BD9B315-3E20-42EC-840D-3D0DE01419E8.jpeg
New Cris Anderson
Attachments
A16B3457-CC7B-4F60-8911-D8FDAD860ABE.jpeg
new knife
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#611 Post by Alan Eden » April 7th, 2019, 12:58 pm

Video as well

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#612 Post by Alan Eden » April 7th, 2019, 1:05 pm

Also a new Kiritsuke from Tony Lessur
Attachments
994F59B2-17CF-4EBA-9125-FBBF0D03F362.jpeg
9554DA23-4AC5-4401-BBDD-5C5857416014.jpeg
EE96C3E4-260B-46D7-AFD5-26659D5D03F5.jpeg

NED VALOIS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#613 Post by NED VALOIS » April 19th, 2019, 1:45 pm

This is my latest addition custom made for me;
Great people !

https://salterfinecutlery.com/collectio ... tation-box

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#614 Post by Alan Eden » April 19th, 2019, 6:22 pm

Ned

Wow, that is beautiful

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#615 Post by Alan Eden » April 19th, 2019, 6:24 pm

Not sure id spend on the box though, beautiful though it is

NED VALOIS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#616 Post by NED VALOIS » April 19th, 2019, 7:53 pm

If you're going to go, go big, Eh ?
The box is stunning !
PS I did a bit better on the price.
They were very good to me !

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#617 Post by Alan Eden » April 19th, 2019, 9:24 pm

What steel are the knives ?

NED VALOIS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#618 Post by NED VALOIS » April 19th, 2019, 10:01 pm

ALAN,
The steak knives were made using high quality VG10 Japanese stainless steel and have a damascus pattern. The carving knife is from our exclusive Charybdis collectible knife collection and is made from high quality Gingami3 powder metal die with our Raptor pattern. Each blade is signed in kanji by the respective bladesmith.

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#619 Post by Alan Eden » April 21st, 2019, 5:09 am

I have some Butch Harner steak knives, nowhere near as attractive as yours but similar in terms of sharpness. I dont think anyone really knows what they are missing until they eat a steak with precision cuts, to me it makes a big difference

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#620 Post by Ken Strauss » April 21st, 2019, 9:32 am

NED VALOIS wrote:
April 19th, 2019, 1:45 pm
This is my latest addition custom made for me;
Great people !

https://salterfinecutlery.com/collectio ... tation-box
Wow!
Beautiful!
Are you actually going to use them?
"Explaining is not supporting."

"Independence is a state of mind"

NED VALOIS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#621 Post by NED VALOIS » April 21st, 2019, 8:32 pm

Broke them in today for Easter dinner !

Prime New York Strips and lamb chops ! [cheers.gif]

Lee Short

#622 Post by Lee Short » April 22nd, 2019, 6:46 pm

Do they stay sharp when used on porcelain? The only thing that I've found to stay sharp in the average steak knife use case is serrated.

I once looked around a bit for end-grain wooden steak plates, but didn't find anything satisfactory. We don't actually eat much steak, but we eat enough lamb to make up for it.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#623 Post by J a y H a c k » April 30th, 2019, 2:33 pm

I'm going to repeat a question I have posed before, but with unsatisfactory answers ("Because my wife is a chef and she said so" is not a good answer). The question is, "What's wrong with putting a good knife in a dish washer?" Assume that it is spaced so that it will not bang against anything else. Assume it does not have a fancy handle because I am big on practical use and I find synthetic handles to be less slippery when cooking stuff, so ruining a good handle is not an issue. I have a lot of reasonably good knives (despite Suzanne's opinion of Shuns) including about a dozen Trident or Henkel knives and three Shuns. I have been known to use more than a half dozen just in dinner prep and I hate hand washing things. I have an old Sabatier carbon steel knife that of course does not go in the dish washer and a few of those knives that look like saws that I use for cutting the three Bs (bagels, bones and beer cans), which always go in the dishwasher.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

David Cooper

#624 Post by David Cooper » April 30th, 2019, 5:12 pm

Jay. I can't see any reason what you describe would adversely effect your knives. I have cooked for a living and run a metal fabrication shop and nothing in my experience could make an argument against it. In cooking school we ran our knives through the dishwashers to sanitize them.

I have an assortment of knives and 2 of my favorites are a Shun 9 inch chef knife and a Shun paring knife. They hold their edges very well but are harder to sharpen then my hand forged steel Japanese knives. My wife is not a chef BTW.

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#625 Post by Alan Eden » April 30th, 2019, 5:20 pm

Simple answer is that carbon knives will rust in a dishwasher and any wood handle will shrink
Last edited by Alan Eden on April 30th, 2019, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NED VALOIS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#626 Post by NED VALOIS » April 30th, 2019, 5:22 pm

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#627 Post by J a y H a c k » April 30th, 2019, 5:58 pm

The only real issue I see is detergent and maybe hot water. The rest is just whiny stuff or stuff that is the result of stupidity rather than a good reason. Detergent may be a good reason but I don't know enough about the chemical reaction caused by detergent to know if that is a for real problem.

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#628 Post by Alan Eden » April 30th, 2019, 6:24 pm

Jay

Youve obviously decided so why ask ?

Dont be a jerk and hate us who love our knives

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#629 Post by Jim Stewart » May 1st, 2019, 10:51 am

Possibly the best $15 kitchen knife . . .

Mercer Culinary M23210 Millennia 10-Inch Wide Wavy Edge Bread Knife. My wife is a tough critic of knives and she loves this one. I am not as critical as she is but I like it too, especially for slicing baguettes. FWIW.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#630 Post by J a y H a c k » May 2nd, 2019, 10:12 am

Alan Eden wrote:
April 30th, 2019, 6:24 pm
Jay

Youve obviously decided so why ask ?

Dont be a jerk and hate us who love our knives
Further to my thread about the month of May, I will not respond except to say that I have not decided and I am quite serious about getting an answer. I just prefer an answer with an explanation by someone who actually knows what they are talking about. I hand wash my knives and have been doing so probably since before you were born, and I have owned the honing steel that I use now for 48 years. I just want to know whether I am wasting my time. My only caveat is that I do not own knives with fancy wood burl handles because I buy knives as tools, not art objects. If you like knives as art objects, that's your business.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#631 Post by J a y H a c k » May 2nd, 2019, 10:15 am

Jim Stewart wrote:
May 1st, 2019, 10:51 am

Mercer Culinary M23210 Millennia 10-Inch Wide Wavy Edge Bread Knife. My wife is a tough critic of knives and she loves this one. I am not as critical as she is but I like it too, especially for slicing baguettes. FWIW.
Can you put it in the dishwasher?

Michael Bowden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#632 Post by Michael Bowden » May 2nd, 2019, 11:29 am

J a y H a c k wrote:
May 2nd, 2019, 10:15 am
Jim Stewart wrote:

You can put anything in the dishwasher (size permitting).
I'm taller than Zach Lang.

It's Michael.....not Mike, Mark, Mick, Mikey...get it? got it? good.

Good fries are better than great tater tots.

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#633 Post by Jim Stewart » May 2nd, 2019, 11:41 am

J a y H a c k wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:

Jay, Since you have proclaimed this May to be a special month, I will go out of my way to give you a complete response. [cheers.gif] -Jim

How to care for Mercer Cutlery
It is not recommended to wash your knife in a dishwasher. The performance of your knife can be diminished if not cared for properly. Please follow these guidelines to maximize the performance of Mercer’s knives:

After each use, carefully wash cutlery by hand with warm water and mild- to medium-strength soap; rinse and thoroughly dry it with a soft towel.

Cutlery should never be washed in a dishwasher: the intense heat and radical temperature changes may cause the handle to deteriorate; the blade edges will become dull through rubbing against each other; and caustic soap will cause staining and pitting of the blade.

Cutlery should not be soaked or submerged for long periods. Chlorine and bleach products discolor and pit stain-free and high-carbon steel. If chlorine or bleach products come in contact with the blade, thoroughly rinse off immediately.

Galvanic action—the transfer of electrons from one metal to another—may cause pitting on the blades. To prevent this, avoid long periods of soaking in aluminum pans or a stainless steel sink, remove cutlery from condiments (such as mayonnaise) stored in aluminum or stainless steel pans.

Always store cutlery in a cutlery block or sheath to preserve the cutting edges and prevent personal injury.

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#634 Post by CJ Beazley » May 2nd, 2019, 11:45 am

Michael Bowden wrote:
May 2nd, 2019, 11:29 am
J a y H a c k wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:

You can put anything in the dishwasher (size permitting).
And the dryer-
Attachments
3A0E5BD2-9BCA-497D-87F5-4345F090B8BF.jpeg
It's C(raig)

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#635 Post by Alan Eden » May 2nd, 2019, 1:16 pm

Jay is just being a douche

He knows exactly why you should not do it but he wants to pick a fight about it.

Not doing it has nothing to do with fancy handles, its just basic kitchen habits, same as i never put soap near my carbon steel pans

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”