Official kitchen knife thread

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
ybarselah

Re: Official kitchen knife thread

#601 Post by ybarselah » February 2nd, 2019, 8:03 am

have spent a few hours on this thread and have two questions.

can someone please recommend a large in-drawer knife storage solution? i can't seem to find one that doesn't have 2 layers.

is there a really good petty out there for around $150 or under? on the longer side. western handle preferred. (very happy to buy one from someone on this board if anyone has extras that are in great condition).

thanks! amazing thread.
Yaacov (ITB)

David Cooper

#602 Post by David Cooper » February 2nd, 2019, 10:56 am

ybarselah wrote:
February 2nd, 2019, 8:03 am
have spent a few hours on this thread and have two questions.

can someone please recommend a large in-drawer knife storage solution? i can't seem to find one that doesn't have 2 layers.

is there a really good petty out there for around $150 or under? on the longer side. western handle preferred. (very happy to buy one from someone on this board if anyone has extras that are in great condition).

thanks! amazing thread.
This one, I don't, own it, but like how it looks and feels in person:

ybarselah

#603 Post by ybarselah » February 3rd, 2019, 7:56 am

that looks great and priced well - thank you!
Yaacov (ITB)

Michael Lee

#604 Post by Michael Lee » February 4th, 2019, 12:20 pm

I would recommend the Gesshin Ginga Western Stainless knives at Japanese Knife Imports. The 150 is out of stock, but they should be getting restocked in the very near future. https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/co ... less-petty

I use a 210 Gesshin Ginga western petty for all kinds of things, from trimming briskets to slicing fish, green onions, and skinning small fillets. It's easy to maintain and clean, and sharpen; it's well balanced, thin behind the edge, and a great all-around knife.

ybarselah

#605 Post by ybarselah » February 7th, 2019, 12:46 pm

thanks michael - i actually have a gesshin gyuto which i love.
Yaacov (ITB)

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#606 Post by CJ Beazley » February 25th, 2019, 1:10 pm

Anyone have a knife made of VG-10, if so likes/dislikes?
It's C(raig)

Lee Short

#607 Post by Lee Short » February 25th, 2019, 8:59 pm

CJ Beazley wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 1:10 pm
I have a couple. They are my better guest knives (ie, for the guests that I trust with Japanese steel at all), and my traveling knives. They don't have the very sharpest edge, or the very best retention, but they were eye-opening when I just got into j-knives, and they are still more than serviceable. Of course, the grind and heat treatment matter.

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#608 Post by MitchTallan » March 9th, 2019, 11:29 am

I just bought some Geshin knives from japaneseknifeimports and Jon called me after receiving my order to make sure I knew what I was buying. In particular, he asked if I was familiar with Japanese knives (yes and no I answered, I have owned a ton of Globals but not artisinal knives of this caliber) and he wanted me to be aware that the 240mm Ginga Gyuto that I had ordered was brittle and needed to be used carefully. He explained that the thin brittle blade of the Ginga has advantages and disadvantages. It does not displace vegetables as they are sliced and has an incredible edge but it can't withstand lateral forces against a cutting board. He sent me a video to watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c4RD5E ... 5N7eakBYx
I find this amusing and humbling; I have been known to criticize others for using this exact technique, although in my defense they were using cheap knives. I had been taught to use the rocking motion with the tip stationary or nearly stationary on the board-the exact motion Jon says to avoid in order to prevent micro-chipping of the brittle blade on the Ginga. So my take-away is that proper knife technique depends on the type of knife being used. Granted, I knew this already with respect to using a filet knife, paring knife, or cleaver but it is equally true even among similarly shaped and sized knives.
I am very happy with the look and feel of the knives I bought. Jon wrote a long handwritten letter thanking me for the purchase. I didn't need the new knives. But I wanted to own some.

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#609 Post by CJ Beazley » March 9th, 2019, 3:16 pm

Lee Short wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 8:59 pm
CJ Beazley wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 1:10 pm
I have a couple. They are my better guest knives (ie, for the guests that I trust with Japanese steel at all), and my traveling knives. They don't have the very sharpest edge, or the very best retention, but they were eye-opening when I just got into j-knives, and they are still more than serviceable. Of course, the grind and heat treatment matter.
I’ve found some that are only Rockwell 60, and tout excellent edge and retention. I was thinking I’d try a petty and see how I like it. Looking at a SLD also.

*Mitch, thanks for the video. I must say I’ve used Japanese style knives for year & years and I’ve never chipped one, and I have some very very thin full Damascus. I hope you enjoy your new ones.
It's C(raig)

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”