Used a rice cooker for the first time last night

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Dave English
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Used a rice cooker for the first time last night

#51 Post by Dave English » June 16th, 2020, 4:45 pm

Does yours come out with the grains easily separated or more a sticky/glutinous type? I got a fancy cooker (Cuckoo brand) and for the life of me cannot get a nice non-sticky rice out of it. I've tried all the different settings, numerous brands of rice, different types of rice and preps and all come out basically the same. You can almost cut it into slices in the bowl.

Chris Blum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by Chris Blum » June 16th, 2020, 5:08 pm

It's more glutinous and sticky. You can see the grains, but they all stick together.
"Well, wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit" -- Lucille Bluth
"The Packers f'n suck" -- Todd French

Betty C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by Betty C » June 16th, 2020, 6:47 pm

Dave English wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 4:45 pm
Does yours come out with the grains easily separated or more a sticky/glutinous type? I got a fancy cooker (Cuckoo brand) and for the life of me cannot get a nice non-sticky rice out of it. I've tried all the different settings, numerous brands of rice, different types of rice and preps and all come out basically the same. You can almost cut it into slices in the bowl.
Use jasmine rice. Take note of how much water you add, and keep scaling back until you get the desired consistency.

Each bag of rice will be different. It’s the nature of rice. I was in charge of making it as a kid and I’d do this every time we opened a new bag.
Ch00

“Woke White” - M Hudson

jeffmazen

#54 Post by jeffmazen » June 17th, 2020, 5:06 pm

Rinsing the rice 3-4 times before cooking it will get rid of much of the starch and separate the grains. Same goes for jasmine rice. Sticky mess solved.
Unum

Chris Blum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Chris Blum » June 17th, 2020, 5:09 pm

Yeah, I usually used jasmine and with shortages recently I had switched to a short grain. We actually blamed the rice until we switched back to jasmine and it repeated.

And yeah, I probably rinse more than that even. I do it until it’s not milky.
"Well, wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit" -- Lucille Bluth
"The Packers f'n suck" -- Todd French

Dave English
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by Dave English » June 18th, 2020, 3:09 am

Betty C wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 6:47 pm
Dave English wrote:
Use jasmine rice. Take note of how much water you add, and keep scaling back until you get the desired consistency.

Each bag of rice will be different. It’s the nature of rice. I was in charge of making it as a kid and I’d do this every time we opened a new bag.
I've used Jasmin, Basmati, Medium, Sushi, Long, and even Black rice. All the same, I am starting to think it is either faulty or my expectations are wrong.

John S

#57 Post by John S » June 18th, 2020, 4:17 am

This is unlikely to be the issue but one day I thought hey, I'll use the cup markers in the bowl of the rice cooker and save getting a real measuring cup out. My rice kept coming out soggy and too sticky and wet. Wife complains I deny any errors in measuring. After a few more of these poor batches I showed her what I was doing and we then used a real measuring cup to calibrate. It was quite a bit different and now everything is fine when using the real measuring cup. Besides any lessons here in my wife being right I'll post this just in case anyone else was this silly in measuring the water to add.
John Sprow

Milton Hudson

#58 Post by Milton Hudson » June 18th, 2020, 6:16 am

I bought the Aroma that Cook's rated highly, used it for a while, then gave that to my son and got the next model up that has a few more settings. Picked it up at Sam's for ~$27. Rice comes out great. I use it for basmati, jasmine sushi all with consistent results. The sushi took a bit of fiddling, but comes out better than i made without a rice cooker. Also use it to do mixes like Zatarains for dirty rice etc. Works great for brown rice especially. Even though it doesn't have a "grits" setting, it makes great grits. For stone ground or local heirlooms, I pick the oatmeal setting and repeat a few times. Only requirement is to use a silicon covered whisk to work the grits.
As it is just a set and forget, it works great for meal prep as i just ignore it.

jeffmazen

#59 Post by jeffmazen » June 18th, 2020, 8:18 am

I use 1 1/2 cups liquid to 1 cup of rice for long grain. That has also helped make a drier grain. Shorter grain needs more liquid.
Unum

Betty C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by Betty C » June 19th, 2020, 9:24 pm

Dave English wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 3:09 am
Betty C wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 6:47 pm
Dave English wrote:

I've used Jasmin, Basmati, Medium, Sushi, Long, and even Black rice. All the same, I am starting to think it is either faulty or my expectations are wrong.
I don’t know how to help you then. Good luck with that.
Ch00

“Woke White” - M Hudson

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by alan weinberg » July 26th, 2020, 6:56 pm

Ok, sold on Zojirushi. Probably about 5-6 cup size. Is the expensive fuzzy logic one worth the price? What model is recommended? Help needed.

John O'
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by John O' » July 27th, 2020, 3:33 am

I've had a Zoji for years and it's great. I've tried to google "flavored rice in a rice cooker recipes" (e.g. rice pilaf) with very little success. Any suggestions?
O Sullivan

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by Jay Miller » July 27th, 2020, 5:38 am

alan weinberg wrote:
July 26th, 2020, 6:56 pm
Ok, sold on Zojirushi. Probably about 5-6 cup size. Is the expensive fuzzy logic one worth the price? What model is recommended? Help needed.
I have the basic 3 cup NP gbc05 (no fuzzy logic) which works perfectly. I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has the more advanced model if they see a difference as I would expect them to add a feature only after extensive testing.

Though since mine has worked perfectly for 6+ years I expect it will probably be a long time before I'll need a replacement.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Corey N.

#64 Post by Corey N. » July 27th, 2020, 8:03 am

How NOT to make rice...the commentary is hysterical.

WOTY: 2013 d’Yquem

Nøv¡¢k

Mel Hill

#65 Post by Mel Hill » July 27th, 2020, 8:39 am

I've seen the "finger" technique but I don't really know the mechanics of it. Could someone explain in detail?
that being said, I usually make brown rice in a PC as it cooks a lot faster. I would like to use the finger technique for white rice cooked on the stovetop.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by Jay Miller » July 27th, 2020, 9:21 am

Corey N. wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 8:03 am
Okay, that was pretty funny.

Corey N.

#67 Post by Corey N. » July 27th, 2020, 10:09 am

Mel Hill wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 8:39 am
I've seen the "finger" technique but I don't really know the mechanics of it. Could someone explain in detail?
that being said, I usually make brown rice in a PC as it cooks a lot faster. I would like to use the finger technique for white rice cooked on the stovetop.
What I've gleaned from my Asian partner...

Add the amount of rice you want to cook to the rice cooker.
Rinse the rice so the rice is no longer cloudy. (I usually agitate the rice a bit with my hand...usually this takes 3-4 rinses, depending on the rice you buy)
Make sure teh rice is level across the bottom of the pot.
Rest your index finger on top of the rice and add cold water until it hits your first knuckle.
Start rice cooker.

Nøv¡¢k

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by Jay Miller » July 27th, 2020, 1:39 pm

Zojirushi is pretty firm on using their measuring cup for the rice and the water. I wouldn't use the finger technique for their rice cookers.

Eric Ifune
GCC Member
GCC Member

#69 Post by Eric Ifune » July 27th, 2020, 4:07 pm

I agree with Uncle Rodger, especially the thing about MSG on babies. champagne.gif

Mel Hill

#70 Post by Mel Hill » July 27th, 2020, 4:22 pm

Corey N. wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 10:09 am

Rest your index finger on top of the rice and add cold water until it hits your first knuckle.
Start rice cooker.
the missing part of my knowledge was where the finger rests... thanks

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by M.Kaplan » July 27th, 2020, 6:34 pm

Jay Miller wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 5:38 am
alan weinberg wrote:
July 26th, 2020, 6:56 pm
I have the basic 3 cup NP gbc05 (no fuzzy logic) which works perfectly. I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has the more advanced model if they see a difference as I would expect them to add a feature only after extensive testing.

Though since mine has worked perfectly for 6+ years I expect it will probably be a long time before I'll need a replacement.
I have a 25 year old fuzzy logic 5 cup Zojirushi. It is so old that they no longer make parts for it. The battery is shot and the clock needs to be set every time the cooker is plugged in. It still makes perfect rice every time. It is really foolproof. Wash starch from rice (Jasmine is my favorite). Measure with the included measuring cup and add water to the appropriate line marked inside the cooker. Turn on. Wait. Done.
---Mark

Douglas Breen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by Douglas Breen » July 27th, 2020, 6:45 pm

I have a NS-LAC05 3 cup. I’ve had it since January 2014. Use it literally everyday for Steel Cut Oats programmed the night before. I see the new ones say ‘steel cut’ mode, the old ones say porridge. They use to have a heat induction model that was suppose to be better, especially if using it for making more complex meals. But, the price was double (mine was around $130).

The bowl inside can scratch very easily. Always use a wooden or plastic paddle. Clean very carefully. The dang bowl is $60. Also, makes funny music when rice is done-easily shut off! I love my zojirushi!

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by M.Kaplan » July 27th, 2020, 7:09 pm

I’d buy a Zojirushi NS-ZCC10 5-1/2-Cup Neuro Fuzzy Rice Cooker from Amazon, which is the multiple generation successor to the model I own. At $158.99, it costs well less than half of the price of mine, which I bought pre-Amazon from a local Japanese grocery store.
---Mark

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by RyanC » July 27th, 2020, 7:20 pm

My Zojirushi Fuzzy Logic is my favorite cooking device by far. I never knew I needed a rice cooker and now if it broke (which I’m sure it never will) I’d replace it in a heartbeat. My favorite part is how I can dump rice in whenever I have a free minute during the day and it is still basically perfect at dinner time.
C@ughey

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#75 Post by Linda Baehr » July 27th, 2020, 9:55 pm

Corey N. wrote:

That's hilarious!
And I agree. I have NEVER seen anyone drain and rinse rice AFTER cooking. That was a ton of water left in the pot! Yuck!
ITB..................................but you guys knew that already, right?
Check out my Artwork Album on my Facebook page!
Buy a painting from a starving artist!

PauLeenda2020

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#76 Post by Robert M yers » July 28th, 2020, 4:41 am

At one time we were renting a house that was for sale. One day there was a showing that somehow we weren’t alerted about, so we just kind of got out of the way and let them walk through anyways. On the way out I asked them what they thought and the only reply was “Nice rice cooker”. Zojirushi‘s rule.

Victor Hong

#77 Post by Victor Hong » July 28th, 2020, 5:02 am

What is wrong with just ordering carry-out? neener
WineHunter.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#78 Post by Jay Miller » July 28th, 2020, 6:46 am

Victor Hong wrote:
July 28th, 2020, 5:02 am
That's only for noodles.

Eric Ifune
GCC Member
GCC Member

#79 Post by Eric Ifune » July 28th, 2020, 3:59 pm

Eight quid for egg fried rice! [wow.gif]

Betty C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by Betty C » July 28th, 2020, 7:25 pm

Linda Baehr wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 9:55 pm
Corey N. wrote:

That's hilarious!
And I agree. I have NEVER seen anyone drain and rinse rice AFTER cooking. That was a ton of water left in the pot! Yuck!
I thought it was madness too, but apparently that is how some types of rice are cooked. [scratch.gif]
Ch00

“Woke White” - M Hudson

m. ristev

#81 Post by m. ristev » July 28th, 2020, 7:57 pm

Jay Miller wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 1:39 pm
Zojirushi is pretty firm on using their measuring cup for the rice and the water. I wouldn't use the finger technique for their rice cookers.
i always find that with my zojirushi nl-bac05 i have better results when using less water than what is indicated on the side of the bowl for the corresponding quantity of rice. not sure what the deal is but when i fill to the line, it seems to tend toward a less firm texture. i have experimented with various amounts of water and it is surprising how little liquid you can get away with.
mајкл

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#82 Post by David K o l i n » July 28th, 2020, 8:26 pm

Time to bust my Zojirushi fuzzy back out. I havent used it for ages.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#83 Post by c fu » July 29th, 2020, 2:42 pm

I still don't have a rice cooker at home (i eat rice maybe once every couple of weeks.. maybe), but i've been making rice with the instant pot for the last two years and it makes killer rice. Highly recommend trying.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Mel Hill

#84 Post by Mel Hill » July 29th, 2020, 3:22 pm

we cook all of our grains in a pressure cooker (usually with some HM chicken stock)
love the speed!

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#85 Post by Linda Baehr » July 29th, 2020, 3:42 pm

I've tried rice in the InstantPot, and honestly, I like my rice cooker rice better. And between pressuring up and down, it's really just about as fast in the rice cooker.

PauLeenda2020

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#86 Post by c fu » July 29th, 2020, 4:09 pm

Linda Baehr wrote:
July 29th, 2020, 3:42 pm
I've tried rice in the InstantPot, and honestly, I like my rice cooker rice better. And between pressuring up and down, it's really just about as fast in the rice cooker.
the issue with the instantpot if you have to cook rice in quantity. If you just do one cup it kinda sucks. If you do 2.5+ cups it comes out awesome
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#87 Post by Linda Baehr » July 29th, 2020, 4:59 pm

c fu wrote:
July 29th, 2020, 4:09 pm
Linda Baehr wrote:
the issue with the instantpot if you have to cook rice in quantity. If you just do one cup it kinda sucks. If you do 2.5+ cups it comes out awesome
I guess that's my "problem", then.

PauLeenda2020

Victor Hong

#88 Post by Victor Hong » July 29th, 2020, 6:48 pm

Eric Ifune wrote:
July 28th, 2020, 3:59 pm
Eight quid for egg fried rice! [wow.gif]
Agreed. That is the best part! champagne.gif
WineHunter.

Victor Hong

#89 Post by Victor Hong » July 30th, 2020, 7:09 am

Linda Baehr wrote:
July 29th, 2020, 4:59 pm
c fu wrote:
July 29th, 2020, 4:09 pm
Linda Baehr wrote:
I guess that's my "problem", then.
Cook the larger amount. Then, portion and freeze the remainder, for later usage. Defrosting via microwave is quick and easy.
WineHunter.

M. Meer

#90 Post by M. Meer » July 30th, 2020, 9:12 am

Corey N. wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 10:09 am

What I've gleaned from my Asian partner...

Add the amount of rice you want to cook to the rice cooker.
Rinse the rice so the rice is no longer cloudy. (I usually agitate the rice a bit with my hand...usually this takes 3-4 rinses, depending on the rice you buy)
Make sure teh rice is level across the bottom of the pot.
Start rice cooker.
This worked for me until my early teens, then the rice started to get mushy. My finger grew 🤦🏻‍♂️

I use a measuring cup or weigh everything now. I pretty much use 2 ratios, one for medium/short grain and one for jasmine/basmati.
Mar.kus

Corey N.

#91 Post by Corey N. » July 30th, 2020, 9:21 am

Victor Hong wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 7:09 am

Cook the larger amount. Then, portion and freeze the remainder, for later usage. Defrosting via microwave is quick and easy.
Cook the larger amount. Then, make jook.

Nøv¡¢k

Yao C

#92 Post by Yao C » July 30th, 2020, 10:04 am

c fu wrote:
July 29th, 2020, 2:42 pm
I still don't have a rice cooker at home (i eat rice maybe once every couple of weeks.. maybe), but i've been making rice with the instant pot for the last two years and it makes killer rice. Highly recommend trying.
Agreed - we've been using a Zojirushi for years, switched to the Instant Pot because we don't have a rice cooker in Portland, and realized that it's both better and faster. For us the trick has been fine tuning the amount of water (we like 0.95:1 water:rice). We also make 3+ cups per batch, freeze, and then microwave with wet paper towels
C h 0 o n 6

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#93 Post by c fu » July 30th, 2020, 10:19 am

Yao C wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 10:04 am
c fu wrote:
Agreed - we've been using a Zojirushi for years, switched to the Instant Pot because we don't have a rice cooker in Portland, and realized that it's both better and faster. For us the trick has been fine tuning the amount of water (we like 0.95:1 water:rice). We also make 3+ cups per batch, freeze, and then microwave with wet paper towels
yep. You short the water just a little to the rice.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Victor Hong

#94 Post by Victor Hong » July 30th, 2020, 10:21 am

I use a large, non-stick pan. Toss in two handfuls of rice. Add water to cover the rice by a half-knuckle. Cover with loose lid. Use low heat. Done in twenty-five or so minutes. Plenty to make several meals. Easy clean-up.
WineHunter.

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#95 Post by Linda Baehr » July 30th, 2020, 4:02 pm

I'm still just going to use my rice cooker. neener

PauLeenda2020

Victor Hong

#96 Post by Victor Hong » July 30th, 2020, 4:22 pm

Linda Baehr wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 4:02 pm
I'm still just going to use my rice cooker. neener
I am a rice cooker.
WineHunter.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#97 Post by alan weinberg » August 1st, 2020, 5:29 pm

Yao C wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 10:04 am
c fu wrote:
ha. I’m so backward. Have had Instant Pot for years and just bought a Zojirushi. Should have listened to Fu, the rice influencer.

M!ke S.

#98 Post by M!ke S. » August 2nd, 2020, 3:29 pm

The Panasonic peddle model works perfectly in our house.
$(@n|0π

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”