Where to buy white truffles?

Anyone have a reliable source.

this is the place parker used to rave about

www.primiziefinefoods.com

i never tried them fyi

URL not found.

D’Artagnan has them: http://www.dartagnan.com/Fresh-Italian-White-Truffle-%28Tuber-Magnatum-Pico%29/MFWTR002-1,default,pd.html?dwvar_MFWTR002-1_freshFrozenWeight=Fresh%20%2f%201%20oz%20avg.&cgid=Fresh_Truffles&cgid=Fresh_Truffles#start=2

Urbani Truffles and Sabatino Tartufi sell them, but I’ve never ordered white before.

k.

So does Urbani, at a much better price:

http://urbani.com/truffles/fresh-truffles/fresh-white-truffles-1-oz-tuber-magnatum-pico.html

I can’t compare between the two re: quality.

Bruce

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll check these out.

Cheers
Tim

This is the best to me. Urbani. I buy some locally but he buys from this site.

We just used a 50% off coupon at Sabatino. $250 delivered for 2oz of White. They were pretty damn good.

Sick deal

Supposedly this is a very good year for both quality and price.
I’ve pretty much given up on supplements at restaurants, but will snag one for home.

We had the white truffle menu at Spiaggia this weekend. $275 per for 6 courses. 5 with truffles. Fantastic meal and a great value IMO.

I’ve had good luckl with Urbani in the past.

JD

Nice!
I am hoping Valentino does another white truffle dinner this year. I’ve been a couple of years and it was great. They do it in one of the private rooms, where everyone is having it, and pair it with one Italian producer’s wines. They have the owner and/or winemaker from the winery bring over the truffles. Piero would put them in a big basket and make ceremony of presenting them to the room before the meal. The aroma alone is memorable.

I believe it used to be five or six truffle courses for about $350 including wines and no corkage fee for anything else we brought in. The egg in raviolo with a hazelnut butter sauce and truffles is one of the best dishes I’ve ever eaten. Last year they reduced the quality of the meal siginificantly in providing one with the five courses, but IIRC they only allowed one to pick truffles on two, with a surcharge for others. If one did truffles on all the cost went way up. Pass! I really hope that they revert to the previous form this winter and go for a blow-out, especially as he has the place for sell and it might be the final winter.

I must make some white truffle lobster risotto this winter.

Just had some over a poached egg here in Paris at Goust w/ mushrooms…

How was Goust? One of the 25 dinners we cancelled and one that I was particularly eager to try…

Good…

Each course (at least from the a la carte menu) comes automatically w/ a pairing (no choice on what wine is, etc…). Some of the pairings seemed forced. The food was quite tasty. We did the pairings but ordered a bottle of 2010 Dauvissat Chablis Clos off the list for 92 euros. Was the best wine all night.

They have 2 tasting menus which I’m happy we didn’t order as the portions were seemingly large and would have been too much.

I am trying out Sabatini Tartufi: 1 once of white and 2 ounces of Black Burgundy for a 4-way birthday dinner on Saturday (celebrating birthdays on 10/28, 11/8, 11/17 and 11/22).

Thinking about some simple dishes:

• Fresh yolk-heavy tagliatelle with shaved black, EVOO and fresh parmesan.
  • Simply scrambled eggs with shaved white.
  • Perfect risotto with shaved white.
  • Roasted chicken with black truffle under the skin. Finished with shaved white.
  • Grilled ribeye with shaved black and a red-wine reduction.

Of course consumed with nice Barbaresco and Barolo…

Eric,

That sounds terrific! My wine group does an annual white truffle dinner (I think this year will be the 8th or 9th) and often the simplest dishes are the best to show off the truffles - a perfectly cooked risotto in particular - and one of the highlights is always our last dish, usually 1-2 hours after the meal when we have finished the reds while hanging out, is scrambled eggs with panned fried prosciutto and white truffles along with the last of the Champagne…

By the way, if you have enough of the “bits” and ends of the truffles which you cannot really shave and finish using, steep them in milk and then grind them up into vanilla milkshakes - wow - something we started doing a few years ago and it is amazingly good.

Those dishes are making me hungry.

I’ve been meaning to try our domestic (perigord) truffles from Tennessee Truffle and Garland Truffles (NC) for some time. This might be the time to do it. I like how Tennessee Truffle will also try match the truffle’s characteristics to what you want. You can request fruity/floral ones or earthy ones.

k.

Really? A fruity truffle?? That sounds strange.