Anybody else growing hot peppers

I am harvesting and it got me thinking that maybe a few others are out there.

Man, I wish!! Those look awesome! Are they growing outdoors in the dirt?

image.jpg
I had a lot of Serrano this year until some critter stripped the leaves. My four habanero plants are yielding a poor crop. One orange pepper and two small green peppers so far since planted in June. Guess I will pick the one ripe habanero tonight before some critter takes it.

I will do better next year!

Habaneros are doing great this year but my ghost pepper just started fruiting and my Trinidad scorpions have very little fruit. I’m going to grow Carolina reaper next yr!

I planted habs and jalapenos. Use the jalapenos for cooking with or diced on food. Use the habs for habenero gold jelly. Made 11 jars this year and six will be gifted to family.

Outdoors in containers. Everything has been looking good with the exception of my purple Serrano. Constant battle with aphids, but they are under control.

I had trouble with the Trinidad scorpions but a slight nutrient adjustment (calcium and magnesium) did the trick.

Don’t forget, Uncle Jay, that you have promised at least a couple of your hottest to someone…

I tried ghost peppers last year in containers. They never gre very large nor fruited. I think the plant frightened the soil.

Excellent!

Just put up some Tabasco peppers in vinegar. Still steeping but it is a mixture of Tabasco, Lemon Grass, Garlic, Jalapeno, Sweet pepper and black pepper. Soon as I can get some good light I’ll get a picture.
The peppers are the only thing in the garden still producing.

Beautiful pics, Thanks Jay!

To those growing the super hot varieties (ghost, scorpions, reapers, etc). I’m curious what you specifically plan to do with them? I enjoy really spicy food but I’m not sure what I could practically use something like that for. Recipes, strategies, etc would be great. Those pictures are wonderful, btw.

Ghost is the hottest pepper I can eat. I cut one crosswise and rub, or quickly saute’, in hot buttter then fry eggs. This way I can control the “heat”.

Caribbean Reds this year but although I have a lot of fruit, they were late to set and may not ripen before the first frost.

I use a little to add a lot of heat. I also give a bunch to my coworkers who bring in some amazing salsa. I have a coworker that can eat ghost peppers raw with no problem. Her comment to me was, “These are spicy but I can definitely handle a lot more heat.” So my goal is now to grow something spicy enough for her to say she’s impressed haha…

Truth be told, I am a wus when it comes to hot peppers. i grow them for friends (like Dietz). I like the challenge of growing them. Just like wine, there can be a high degree of variance in heat levels of pods on the same plant. I have been experimenting with growing techniques. I even have my own hybrid (3rd generation).

I am so impressed!

Another shot:

So we grew Cayanne and Thai Super Hots.

Not sure if there was a cat pissing in our garden or what, but both of these are almost too hot. Like lips, tongue and throat burning for 20 minutes hot, when these are usually like snack peppers for us.