Middle Eastern Feast

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Message
Author
User avatar
Larry P
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6807
Joined: June 21st, 2010, 3:13 pm
Location: Livermore, CA

Middle Eastern Feast

#1 Post by Larry P » August 4th, 2013, 10:36 pm

Somehow Lori and I got inspired to do this... My grandmother was Lebanese and I miss her cooking. Growing up in Detroit, we had a wealth of great middle-eastern restaurants to choose from, and it's something we really miss out here. This weekend we stretched our culinary knowledge and our patience to make pita bread, falafel, hummus, baba ghannouj, and tabbouleh, all from scratch...

Image

Eggplant on the grill for baba ghannouj. This dish doesn't appear to exist in stores around here, basically roasted eggplant with sesame tahini, lemon, garlic, cumin, salt, and paprika. My favorite version of this was served at a restaurant in Dearborn MI called La Shish, which AFAIK was shut down as a front for laundering money for terrorists groups in Lebanon. If you don't want any Hamas with your hummus, you have to make it yourself. The secret is to grill the eggplant over a wood fire:
Image

Pita bread from scratch on the BGE pizza stone, from the recipe linked by Kenny in the garbanzo thread. Surprisingly easy, and so nice to have this fresh, warm, and smoky. The only thing I think I'd do differently next time is to crank up the heat. Followed a recipe designed for cooking in the oven and followed the 475ºF. Next time I'll let her rip!
Image

Falafel from scratch using Einat Admony's recipe:
Image
Image

We also made a tabbouleh using quinoa instead of bulgar wheat, and hummus.

Just like back home, a lot of work but worth it:
Image
P ! g g ! n s

"You keep me searching for a heart of gold" - Neil Young
"Metal heart, you're not worth a thing" - Cat Power

User avatar
Bill Tex Landreth
Posts: 22914
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 11:45 am

Middle Eastern Feast

#2 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » August 5th, 2013, 6:41 am

Nice.
Compact Disc and Wine Theft should be reported and prosecuted.

User avatar
ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1776
Joined: December 19th, 2009, 12:13 pm
Location: Detroit

Middle Eastern Feast

#3 Post by ClarkstonMark » August 5th, 2013, 7:10 am

That is awesome ... and we (those who live in SE MI) don't even miss La Shish that much .... plenty of options
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

Jim Friedman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 872
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 7:30 am
Location: Detroit

Middle Eastern Feast

#4 Post by Jim Friedman » August 5th, 2013, 7:44 am

Middle eastern food is everywhere in metro Detroit and offers some great dining options. It is a regular part of my carry-out rotation.

User avatar
Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16035
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:31 pm
Location: I'm a Napacat

Middle Eastern Feast

#5 Post by Linda Baehr » August 5th, 2013, 8:04 am

Looks fantastic! I love Middle Eastern food. flirtysmile
There is a really good little place here in Napa. They make a really good beet dish they call beet hummus, although it really doesn't have anything to do with hummus. Just shredded beets and sour cream or yogurt with spices. Yummy!
ITB..................................but you guys knew that already, right?
Check out my Artwork Album on my Facebook page!
Buy a painting from a starving artist!

PauLeenda2020

User avatar
Larry P
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6807
Joined: June 21st, 2010, 3:13 pm
Location: Livermore, CA

Middle Eastern Feast

#6 Post by Larry P » August 5th, 2013, 8:06 am

ClarkstonMark wrote:we (those who live in SE MI) don't even miss La Shish that much .... plenty of options
No doubt Mark. It is disorienting though for those of us who've moved away, when we come back to visit.
P ! g g ! n s

"You keep me searching for a heart of gold" - Neil Young
"Metal heart, you're not worth a thing" - Cat Power

User avatar
Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19710
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:16 pm
Location: Coos Bay, OR

Middle Eastern Feast

#7 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » August 5th, 2013, 8:22 am

All the dishes look awesome!
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

User avatar
Jorge Henriquez
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 14317
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:11 pm
Location: Westchester County, NY

Middle Eastern Feast

#8 Post by Jorge Henriquez » August 5th, 2013, 9:21 am

Looks fantastic Larry but........no kibbeh?!?!?!? [smileyvault-ban.gif]
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

User avatar
debbie holm
Posts: 465
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 12:33 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Middle Eastern Feast

#9 Post by debbie holm » August 5th, 2013, 9:46 am

Looks delicious! Any rice recipes??

User avatar
David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 17317
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 5:29 pm
Location: ChiIl

Middle Eastern Feast

#10 Post by David K o l i n » August 5th, 2013, 9:52 am

Thanks, Larry. I think the best middle eastern restaurants in the country are still in Detoit and the suburbs, but we have enough good restaurants and grocerties here in Chicago to scratch the itch. Looks like a fun day.

User avatar
Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16035
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:31 pm
Location: I'm a Napacat

Middle Eastern Feast

#11 Post by Linda Baehr » August 5th, 2013, 10:57 am

Jorge Henriquez wrote:Looks fantastic Larry but........no kibbeh?!?!?!? [smileyvault-ban.gif]
Um....................vegetarians...................... [snort.gif]
ITB..................................but you guys knew that already, right?
Check out my Artwork Album on my Facebook page!
Buy a painting from a starving artist!

PauLeenda2020

User avatar
Jorge Henriquez
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 14317
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:11 pm
Location: Westchester County, NY

Middle Eastern Feast

#12 Post by Jorge Henriquez » August 5th, 2013, 11:03 am

Linda Baehr wrote:
Jorge Henriquez wrote:Looks fantastic Larry but........no kibbeh?!?!?!? [smileyvault-ban.gif]
Um....................vegetarians...................... [snort.gif]
Didn't see that anywhere.
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

User avatar
Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16035
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:31 pm
Location: I'm a Napacat

Middle Eastern Feast

#13 Post by Linda Baehr » August 5th, 2013, 11:07 am

Jorge Henriquez wrote:
Linda Baehr wrote:
Jorge Henriquez wrote:Looks fantastic Larry but........no kibbeh?!?!?!? [smileyvault-ban.gif]
Um....................vegetarians...................... [snort.gif]
Didn't see that anywhere.
We'll forgive you this time. [wow.gif]
ITB..................................but you guys knew that already, right?
Check out my Artwork Album on my Facebook page!
Buy a painting from a starving artist!

PauLeenda2020

User avatar
Larry P
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6807
Joined: June 21st, 2010, 3:13 pm
Location: Livermore, CA

Middle Eastern Feast

#14 Post by Larry P » August 5th, 2013, 11:42 am

Linda Baehr wrote:
Jorge Henriquez wrote:Looks fantastic Larry but........no kibbeh?!?!?!? [smileyvault-ban.gif]
Um....................vegetarians...................... [snort.gif]
I do love kibbeh, from my childhood, probably my favorite of all my grandmother's dishes. But... what Linda said.
P ! g g ! n s

"You keep me searching for a heart of gold" - Neil Young
"Metal heart, you're not worth a thing" - Cat Power

User avatar
Larry P
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6807
Joined: June 21st, 2010, 3:13 pm
Location: Livermore, CA

Middle Eastern Feast

#15 Post by Larry P » August 5th, 2013, 11:42 am

debbie holm wrote:Looks delicious! Any rice recipes??
Would have been good but really not necessary (plenty of leftovers as it is). If we had gone with any rice dish, it probably would have been mujaddara.
Last edited by Larry P on August 5th, 2013, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
P ! g g ! n s

"You keep me searching for a heart of gold" - Neil Young
"Metal heart, you're not worth a thing" - Cat Power

User avatar
Larry P
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6807
Joined: June 21st, 2010, 3:13 pm
Location: Livermore, CA

Middle Eastern Feast

#16 Post by Larry P » August 5th, 2013, 11:45 am

Linda Baehr wrote:Looks fantastic! I love Middle Eastern food. flirtysmile
There is a really good little place here in Napa. They make a really good beet dish they call beet hummus, although it really doesn't have anything to do with hummus. Just shredded beets and sour cream or yogurt with spices. Yummy!
We'll check it out next time we're up there. I would love to have some friends over for any such epic culinary adventure, but honestly most of our friends around here would not go for this food. Next time, we'll invite you!
P ! g g ! n s

"You keep me searching for a heart of gold" - Neil Young
"Metal heart, you're not worth a thing" - Cat Power

User avatar
Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16035
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:31 pm
Location: I'm a Napacat

Middle Eastern Feast

#17 Post by Linda Baehr » August 5th, 2013, 11:53 am

Yay!
ITB..................................but you guys knew that already, right?
Check out my Artwork Album on my Facebook page!
Buy a painting from a starving artist!

PauLeenda2020

User avatar
Scott Butler
Posts: 7626
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:32 am
Location: Greenville, SC

Middle Eastern Feast

#18 Post by Scott Butler » August 5th, 2013, 12:52 pm

I moved from Detroit about 7 years ago, and I still miss good Middle Eastern food. YUM!
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

User avatar
ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1776
Joined: December 19th, 2009, 12:13 pm
Location: Detroit

Middle Eastern Feast

#19 Post by ClarkstonMark » August 5th, 2013, 5:00 pm

Scott there are good jobs if you ever get the itch to come back. I'm sure you know that though
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

User avatar
Scott Butler
Posts: 7626
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:32 am
Location: Greenville, SC

Middle Eastern Feast

#20 Post by Scott Butler » August 6th, 2013, 10:01 am

ClarkstonMark wrote:Scott there are good jobs if you ever get the itch to come back. I'm sure you know that though
Yes sir! But I am finally acclimated to the warmer weather, can't leave it now. [wink.gif]
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

User avatar
dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 10478
Joined: February 12th, 2009, 4:19 pm

Middle Eastern Feast

#21 Post by dcornutt » August 6th, 2013, 11:34 am

A+
Looks perfect.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

User avatar
Bruce Leiser_owitz
Posts: 12649
Joined: June 16th, 2009, 12:54 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Middle Eastern Feast

#22 Post by Bruce Leiser_owitz » August 6th, 2013, 4:00 pm

If you want to cheat (slightly) on the baba ghanoush recipe, you can find fire-roasted eggplant in a jar at most decent-sized Middle Eastern grocery stores..........

Bruce
"Bruce you are correct."--Andrew Kaufman, 3/24/13.

User avatar
Larry P
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6807
Joined: June 21st, 2010, 3:13 pm
Location: Livermore, CA

Middle Eastern Feast

#23 Post by Larry P » May 29th, 2014, 9:46 pm

Bruce Leiser_owitz wrote:If you want to cheat (slightly) on the baba ghanoush recipe, you can find fire-roasted eggplant in a jar at most decent-sized Middle Eastern grocery stores..........

Bruce
I'm a little late Bruce, but doing it on the grill lends a little smokiness that I think makes the dish. Very close to what we used to get at La Shish.
P ! g g ! n s

"You keep me searching for a heart of gold" - Neil Young
"Metal heart, you're not worth a thing" - Cat Power

User avatar
Mel Hill
Posts: 6341
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:56 pm
Location: Colorado

Middle Eastern Feast

#24 Post by Mel Hill » May 29th, 2014, 9:53 pm

Those Palouse GB are great! I don't think I was using them before your OP but we've been thru 3 or 4 bags since. Do you peel them (we don't) but a ME friend swears by the peeling method for his hummus.
I like the extra fiber....

User avatar
Larry P
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6807
Joined: June 21st, 2010, 3:13 pm
Location: Livermore, CA

Middle Eastern Feast

#25 Post by Larry P » May 29th, 2014, 9:54 pm

FWIW I necro'd this thread because Palouse Brand announced on their facebook page a "$200 Giveway" contest for photos of people using their products. I posted a few of the pics shown in this thread, and they announced earlier this week that my Kitchenaid grinding the falafel is the winner!
Image champagne.gif [highfive.gif] [winner.gif] [dance-clap.gif] [gen_fro.gif] [dance.gif] [dance2.gif] [drinkers.gif] [wow.gif]

It's funny that I, of all people, could win a photo contest with a blurry pic taken from a camera phone, and poetic perhaps that the prize for such a pic might be $200 worth of garbanzo beans. They haven't actually contacted me to tell me what I've won or how to collect it.
P ! g g ! n s

"You keep me searching for a heart of gold" - Neil Young
"Metal heart, you're not worth a thing" - Cat Power

User avatar
Larry P
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6807
Joined: June 21st, 2010, 3:13 pm
Location: Livermore, CA

Middle Eastern Feast

#26 Post by Larry P » May 29th, 2014, 9:55 pm

Mel Hill wrote:Those Palouse GB are great! I don't think I was using them before your OP but we've been thru 3 or 4 bags since. Do you peel them (we don't) but a ME friend swears by the peeling method for his hummus.
I like the extra fiber....
Mel, I think it was you mentioning these in an earlier thread which was my inspiration for getting these. We did peel these for hummus but I'm not sure it was worth the effort.
Last edited by Larry P on May 29th, 2014, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
P ! g g ! n s

"You keep me searching for a heart of gold" - Neil Young
"Metal heart, you're not worth a thing" - Cat Power

User avatar
Mel Hill
Posts: 6341
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:56 pm
Location: Colorado

Middle Eastern Feast

#27 Post by Mel Hill » May 29th, 2014, 9:56 pm

WTF I've posted a few photos on their FB page that they asked to share!

User avatar
Larry P
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6807
Joined: June 21st, 2010, 3:13 pm
Location: Livermore, CA

Middle Eastern Feast

#28 Post by Larry P » May 29th, 2014, 9:58 pm

Mel Hill wrote:WTF I've posted a few photos on their FB page that they asked to share!
Indeed Mel, I've won a few photo contests in my day, but never one I phoned in this badly. Like I say, I'm still not sure I've won anything. If it's really $200 worth of dried legumes, some will go to our local food bank.
P ! g g ! n s

"You keep me searching for a heart of gold" - Neil Young
"Metal heart, you're not worth a thing" - Cat Power

User avatar
Mel Hill
Posts: 6341
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:56 pm
Location: Colorado

Middle Eastern Feast

#29 Post by Mel Hill » May 29th, 2014, 10:00 pm

Still great for you...
here is my last post on their page
Screen Shot 2014-05-29 at 11.58.31 PM.png

User avatar
Larry P
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6807
Joined: June 21st, 2010, 3:13 pm
Location: Livermore, CA

Middle Eastern Feast

#30 Post by Larry P » May 29th, 2014, 10:01 pm

Nice photo!
P ! g g ! n s

"You keep me searching for a heart of gold" - Neil Young
"Metal heart, you're not worth a thing" - Cat Power

User avatar
Mel Hill
Posts: 6341
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:56 pm
Location: Colorado

Middle Eastern Feast

#31 Post by Mel Hill » May 29th, 2014, 10:04 pm

Submitted the day before they started the contest...(very little user content on their FB page)
Wow, folks take pictures of our beans! Hey, let's have a contest and give away $200!

FML

& had some of their beans tonight in a veggie curry with tofu and spinach & cauliflower

User avatar
Larry P
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6807
Joined: June 21st, 2010, 3:13 pm
Location: Livermore, CA

Middle Eastern Feast

#32 Post by Larry P » May 29th, 2014, 10:11 pm

That curry sounds great!

Otherwise, the only thing funnier that your reaction was my wife's, when I texted her saying I'd won $200 worth of beans. And not magic beans. They'll probably find this thread and disqualify me now...
P ! g g ! n s

"You keep me searching for a heart of gold" - Neil Young
"Metal heart, you're not worth a thing" - Cat Power

User avatar
Mel Hill
Posts: 6341
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:56 pm
Location: Colorado

Middle Eastern Feast

#33 Post by Mel Hill » May 29th, 2014, 10:17 pm

It was but next time more spinach!
the GB were hot soaked for a few hours then pressure cooked for 22 min (natural release) with a touch of salt and some olive oil. They had a super creamy texture and I didn't add them to the veggie curry till the carrots and cauliflower were cooked.

User avatar
Bruce Leiser_owitz
Posts: 12649
Joined: June 16th, 2009, 12:54 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Middle Eastern Feast

#34 Post by Bruce Leiser_owitz » May 30th, 2014, 5:26 am

Larry P wrote:
Bruce Leiser_owitz wrote:If you want to cheat (slightly) on the baba ghanoush recipe, you can find fire-roasted eggplant in a jar at most decent-sized Middle Eastern grocery stores..........

Bruce
I'm a little late Bruce, but doing it on the grill lends a little smokiness that I think makes the dish. Very close to what we used to get at La Shish.
Larry--If you get the right kind in the jar, they are fire-roasted on a grill before being jarred. So you will get smokiness from even the jarred product. Again, a slight "cheat" versus grilling the eggplant yourself.....

Bruce
"Bruce you are correct."--Andrew Kaufman, 3/24/13.

User avatar
Larry P
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6807
Joined: June 21st, 2010, 3:13 pm
Location: Livermore, CA

Middle Eastern Feast

#35 Post by Larry P » May 30th, 2014, 7:15 am

Bruce Leiser_owitz wrote:Larry--If you get the right kind in the jar, they are fire-roasted on a grill before being jarred. So you will get smokiness from even the jarred product. Again, a slight "cheat" versus grilling the eggplant yourself.....

Bruce
It's a good suggestion. Really the grilling adds a fair amount of complication to what could be a really simple dish to prepare.
P ! g g ! n s

"You keep me searching for a heart of gold" - Neil Young
"Metal heart, you're not worth a thing" - Cat Power

User avatar
David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 17317
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 5:29 pm
Location: ChiIl

Middle Eastern Feast

#36 Post by David K o l i n » May 30th, 2014, 7:31 am

debbie holm wrote:Looks delicious! Any rice recipes??
Debbie:

You may wan to check out Maureen Abood's blog. http://www.maureenabood.com/all-recipes/

Maureen lives in Harbor Springs, and her recipes are quite good

User avatar
Larry P
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6807
Joined: June 21st, 2010, 3:13 pm
Location: Livermore, CA

Middle Eastern Feast

#37 Post by Larry P » May 30th, 2014, 7:43 am

This is the mujadara recipe in my file. IIRC I found this light on the seasoning and looking at the quantities I believe I haven't adjusted this recipe. I also think the lentils won't take nearly that long to cook, so consider those if trying it:

Mujadara
ingredients:
• 1 cup lentils
• 1 1/4 cup brown basmati rice
• 4 cups vegetable broth or water
• salt (to taste)
• 1/2 tsp black pepper
• 1 tsp cumin
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 3 large onions, slice in 1/2 inch slivers
directions:
1. saute onions with olive oil, stirring occasionally, caramelized. reserve 4 tbs (or more) for garnish.
2. while onions are caramelizing, throw lentils in a pot with 4 cups of broth or water. bring to a boil, reduce to medium heat, cover, and cook for about 40 minutes, or until lentils are tender and most liquid is absorbed.
3. once lentils are situated (ie – cooking), cook rice. we use a rice cooker for this part.
4. once lentils are finished cooking, add in cooked rice, caramelized onions, cumin, salt, and pepper. mix well.
5. garnish with remaining onions.
6. serve and enjoy.
P ! g g ! n s

"You keep me searching for a heart of gold" - Neil Young
"Metal heart, you're not worth a thing" - Cat Power

User avatar
Bruce Leiser_owitz
Posts: 12649
Joined: June 16th, 2009, 12:54 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Middle Eastern Feast

#38 Post by Bruce Leiser_owitz » May 30th, 2014, 8:50 am

Larry P wrote:
Bruce Leiser_owitz wrote:Larry--If you get the right kind in the jar, they are fire-roasted on a grill before being jarred. So you will get smokiness from even the jarred product. Again, a slight "cheat" versus grilling the eggplant yourself.....

Bruce
It's a good suggestion. Really the grilling adds a fair amount of complication to what could be a really simple dish to prepare.
That's exactly why I use the shortcut. If I'm already grilling a bunch of other stuff, it's not a big deal to add eggplant to the mix. But if I'm just making baba g., then using the jarred but fire-roasted eggplant makes a big difference in preparation time. You do, of course, have to drain the jar thoroughly in a sieve to remove any of the liquid.

Bruce
"Bruce you are correct."--Andrew Kaufman, 3/24/13.

User avatar
Larry P
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6807
Joined: June 21st, 2010, 3:13 pm
Location: Livermore, CA

Middle Eastern Feast

#39 Post by Larry P » May 30th, 2014, 11:35 am

Bruce Leiser_owitz wrote:
Larry P wrote:
Bruce Leiser_owitz wrote:Larry--If you get the right kind in the jar, they are fire-roasted on a grill before being jarred. So you will get smokiness from even the jarred product. Again, a slight "cheat" versus grilling the eggplant yourself.....

Bruce
It's a good suggestion. Really the grilling adds a fair amount of complication to what could be a really simple dish to prepare.
That's exactly why I use the shortcut. If I'm already grilling a bunch of other stuff, it's not a big deal to add eggplant to the mix. But if I'm just making baba g., then using the jarred but fire-roasted eggplant makes a big difference in preparation time. You do, of course, have to drain the jar thoroughly in a sieve to remove any of the liquid.

Bruce
Unfortunately we don't have any middle-eastern groceries around here, but I grabbed a couple jars off Amazon to try, thanks.
P ! g g ! n s

"You keep me searching for a heart of gold" - Neil Young
"Metal heart, you're not worth a thing" - Cat Power

User avatar
Larry P
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6807
Joined: June 21st, 2010, 3:13 pm
Location: Livermore, CA

Middle Eastern Feast

#40 Post by Larry P » May 30th, 2014, 11:36 am

I just talked to Palouse and they are really sending me $200 worth of Palouse Brand products. I asked for Garbanzos, Lentils, and a mix of red & white wheatberries, split into 5# bags so we can donate some to our local soup kitchen. Really nice people and I'll try to reward them with some better photos
P ! g g ! n s

"You keep me searching for a heart of gold" - Neil Young
"Metal heart, you're not worth a thing" - Cat Power

User avatar
Larry P
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6807
Joined: June 21st, 2010, 3:13 pm
Location: Livermore, CA

Middle Eastern Feast

#41 Post by Larry P » June 4th, 2014, 3:28 pm

I'm so conflicted today...

On one hand, I received my jar of grilled eggplant from the 3rd party seller "Mr. Nutz" via Amazon. The idiots shipped a glass jar in a soft envelope, delivered shattered and and leaking.
My mailbox is a mess, but smells of what might have been some yummy grilled eggplant. [swearing.gif]


On the other hand, Palouse Brand really came through with $200 worth of dried beans! [swoon.gif]

Image
P ! g g ! n s

"You keep me searching for a heart of gold" - Neil Young
"Metal heart, you're not worth a thing" - Cat Power

User avatar
scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4012
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:31 pm

Middle Eastern Feast

#42 Post by scamhi » June 4th, 2014, 3:37 pm

the food looks great Larry
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

User avatar
Larry P
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6807
Joined: June 21st, 2010, 3:13 pm
Location: Livermore, CA

Middle Eastern Feast

#43 Post by Larry P » June 4th, 2014, 5:17 pm

Thanks Suzanne!
P ! g g ! n s

"You keep me searching for a heart of gold" - Neil Young
"Metal heart, you're not worth a thing" - Cat Power

User avatar
G. Greenbaum
Posts: 2341
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 7:45 am
Location: Up in here

Middle Eastern Feast

#44 Post by G. Greenbaum » June 4th, 2014, 7:27 pm

Next time you visit LA, you have some great choices. In Hollywood, the best Lebanese are at Marouch and Carousel. Both are great, with Marouch having the better ambiance/decor and better meza overall. Good options throughout the area.
Regards,
Gregg


ITB

User avatar
debbie holm
Posts: 465
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 12:33 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Middle Eastern Feast

#45 Post by debbie holm » June 5th, 2014, 8:38 am

David K o l i n wrote:
debbie holm wrote:Looks delicious! Any rice recipes??
Debbie:

You may wan to check out Maureen Abood's blog. http://www.maureenabood.com/all-recipes/

Maureen lives in Harbor Springs, and her recipes are quite good

Thanks, David! My grandparents are (were) Assyrian and came from (then) Persia so I've been a rice junkie my whole life. We bake ours in butter. I found a store in Chicago that sells Iranian saffron (under the counter) which is just amazingly delicious! Happy birthday, by the way! [cheers.gif]

Russell Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8134
Joined: April 26th, 2010, 10:30 pm
Location: Bordeaux

Middle Eastern Feast

#46 Post by Russell Faulkner » June 5th, 2014, 8:39 am

Nice, the kind of food we enjoy every week, though we never prepare it.

User avatar
Bruce Leiser_owitz
Posts: 12649
Joined: June 16th, 2009, 12:54 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Middle Eastern Feast

#47 Post by Bruce Leiser_owitz » June 5th, 2014, 9:04 am

Larry P wrote: On one hand, I received my jar of grilled eggplant from the 3rd party seller "Mr. Nutz" via Amazon. The idiots shipped a glass jar in a soft envelope, delivered shattered and and leaking.
My mailbox is a mess, but smells of what might have been some yummy grilled eggplant. [swearing.gif]
That sucks big time, but at least his nickname appears to have been accurate.

I have some good Middle Eastern grocery stores in my neighborhood; let me know if you want me to pick you up a few jars of the grilled eggplant and ship it to you in an actual, oh, I don't know, box......

Bruce
"Bruce you are correct."--Andrew Kaufman, 3/24/13.

User avatar
David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 17317
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 5:29 pm
Location: ChiIl

Middle Eastern Feast

#48 Post by David K o l i n » June 5th, 2014, 10:57 am

debbie holm wrote:
David K o l i n wrote:
debbie holm wrote:Looks delicious! Any rice recipes??
Debbie:

You may wan to check out Maureen Abood's blog. http://www.maureenabood.com/all-recipes/

Maureen lives in Harbor Springs, and her recipes are quite good

Thanks, David! My grandparents are (were) Assyrian and came from (then) Persia so I've been a rice junkie my whole life. We bake ours in butter. I found a store in Chicago that sells Iranian saffron (under the counter) which is just amazingly delicious! Happy birthday, by the way! [cheers.gif]
Thanks for the good wishes, Debbie. This place you refer to wouldn't happen to be on Foster, would it?

User avatar
debbie holm
Posts: 465
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 12:33 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Middle Eastern Feast

#49 Post by debbie holm » June 5th, 2014, 11:06 am

Thanks for the good wishes, Debbie. This place you refer to wouldn't happen to be on Foster, would it?[/quote]

Foster & Clark (across the street from Reza's) - I go in, ask for saffron and nod to the cash register. They store it under the change drawer. I'll get you some if you want. I need to make a trip anyway.

User avatar
Larry P
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6807
Joined: June 21st, 2010, 3:13 pm
Location: Livermore, CA

Middle Eastern Feast

#50 Post by Larry P » June 5th, 2014, 11:39 am

Bruce Leiser_owitz wrote:
Larry P wrote: On one hand, I received my jar of grilled eggplant from the 3rd party seller "Mr. Nutz" via Amazon. The idiots shipped a glass jar in a soft envelope, delivered shattered and and leaking.
My mailbox is a mess, but smells of what might have been some yummy grilled eggplant. [swearing.gif]
That sucks big time, but at least his nickname appears to have been accurate.

I have some good Middle Eastern grocery stores in my neighborhood; let me know if you want me to pick you up a few jars of the grilled eggplant and ship it to you in an actual, oh, I don't know, box......

Bruce
Thanks Bruce; that's very generous! I'll think about it. For now I've got another jar coming direct from Amazon this time, which was a couple dollars more but probably worth it assuming the actually package it properly.
P ! g g ! n s

"You keep me searching for a heart of gold" - Neil Young
"Metal heart, you're not worth a thing" - Cat Power

Post Reply

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”