Favorite local burger joints

Since the ‘best burger’ poll (meant for fast food joints) quickly turned into a free-for-all, I wanted to post a thread for folks to name their favorite local burger joints. Should be helpful for those who are traveling, too!

San Clemente - Riders Club

Unreal burgers. Great beer on tap, too, but only half a dozen at a time, changing frequently/weekly. Tiny eating area, horrible parking lot, but worth it no matter what. You name your meat choice, how you want it cooked, what cheese you want, what extras, and they put it on these fantastic buns I usually get the beef (of course), medium (everything here is juicy, so while I normally go medium rare, medium works best here), with blue cheese, grilled onions, and everything on it. Side of pickled beets (you have to ask for those, and we ALWAYS do). I judge a great burger by whether or not I have any chance of making it at home, and this one fits the bill every time. No way I can replicate it.

Fathers office has the best burger ever. Culver city and Santa monica

I’ve had both, and prefer Rider’s Club - have you been down this way and tried it?

Slater’s 50/50 is a fun burger, too, with half beef, half bacon (ground)

nu uh. next time i’m in the area I’ll definitely try it. I’m not a fan of Slaters. I went the week they opened in pasadena and the burger was not tasty. I"ll have to try it again since everyone says it’s pretty good.

In DFW:

Pappa’s Burgers
Dutch’s
Twisted Root Burger Company
Maple and Motor

Might be because they became a bit of a chain - not sure if the quality has carried along. I went a couple years ago with Franks and Jorge

Hubcap Grill in Houston. Superlative.

Tried Slaters many times … do to a close location and wanting a beer. LAME! I finally gave up a few years ago. Everything on the menu is gross.

Riders Club sounds fun. A bit of a trek for me but if I am down that way, I’ll jump in.

TK Burger is good. More of a burger joint and best in class as far as close by for me.

Not so much a burger joint but I had the best burger I have had in years at Hopscotch in Fullerton. That said, I went back for a second round and it was a big miss, along with all of the other food they serve.

Reality is I my burger is better than most of the “joints” so other than In N Out, I don’t buy them that regularly.

In Nashville I like Burger Up.

Jason

Huge fan of Crow Burger in Newport Beach. Although, the quality of Umami in Costa Mesa has really gone up in the past couple months. I was not a fan when they first opened.

I’m also not a huge fan of Slaters even though it’s basically across the street. I only go there in a pinch. Massive beer selection though.

Burger Up in Franklin is tasty indeed.

in Denver: Park Burger, TAG Burger Bar and The Cherry Cricket.

Slaters, Umami and the Counter are all just ok, price turns me off and Slaters is not just that tasty IMHO. I like Tiki a lot. When I was rotating thu the Long Beach VA years ago, there was a place across the street called 49’rs Tavern. They had great burgers. Total dive bar.

Oh and Billy’s Burger in Jackson, WY.

Note I said Slater’s is ‘fun’, not great - it’s fun to think of having a burger that’s half bacon, half beef - you can’t deny that!

In the ATL…

(1) Miss Ann’s Snack Bar, for the world-famous ‘Ghetto Burger’ (double bacon-chili-cheese burger):

(2) Holeman & Finch Public House. Double cheeseburger; everything house-made, including bun, pickles, mustard, and ketchup. Available starting at 10:00 pm until they sell out (usually in 30 minutes or less):

(3) The General Muir, for Todd Ginsberg’s famous burger stack (with a side of poutine, if you’re brave enough):

I’ll second FO,though I find the SM location better; maybe I’m just nostalgic.

A VERY close runner up is the standard burger at Rustic Canyon.

Okay, yeah that burger is sick! Loved ever bite of it even though I was already stuffed from dinner. That said, would you really call this a burger joint.

in the Atlanta area, where does Farm Burger rate with you? My burger was great on my one visit.

Jason

Anyone been to Pono Burger in Santa Monica? I haven’t made it yet but the buzz is relentless that this is a contender:

PONO BURGER ~ We Do Things The Right Way!!

Mpls is home to the ongoing Juicy Lucy burger battle. The 5-8 Club vs Matts Bar

At my old place of residence, Hitching Post’s Oak Grilled burger is hard to beat. Not even listed on the menu.

Kuma’s Corner is my favorite. Honorable mention: Epic Burger, Marc Burger, Au Cheval (not a burger joint per se, but the burger is prominently featured).