Atlanta in August

Going to be in downtown Atlanta for a conference for a couple days in mid-august. Any restaurants that I need to hit for lunch or dinner while I am there. One that stuck out to me right away when I was looking was Empire State South. Any and all thoughts would be great. If you want to PM me with ideas that you dont want shared that works too!

Are you looking for places downtown, or is all of Atlanta fair game? Where are you staying?

Within a reasonable cab ride of downtown would be fine too. I am staying at the Hyatt Regency downtown.

The metered fare from the Hyatt Regency to Empire State South in Midtown should be around $8.50 for one passenger (+ $2/each additional passenger); to Aria in Buckhead, approx, $18.50. Reasonable?

More when time permits…

A nice ATL contingency here. The eat well and drink very well.

If you want to stay close by, White Oak Kitchen & Cocktails is very good - literally across the street.

http://whiteoakkitchen.com/

In addition to the two Bob mentions above, Aria in Buckhead is great. Adds a bit more cab time/fare but worth it in my opinion.

And please let me know if Empire State South is not up to par either. Just one that I saw that I had heard about previously.

Empire State South is incredible. You will eat and drink very well.

Previous threads full of good ideas:

+1 on Empire State South. Miller Union is another that I’ve been impressed with that has a somewhat similar style. If you go to Empire State South, make sure you get the pimento cheese with bacon marmalade. For lunch you can get it by itself usually; for dinner it is part of the “jars” appetizer. You won’t be disappointed.

For a lunch you might want to give Bocado a shot (well, its just fine for dinner too). It isn’t too far from downtown on Howell Mill Rd. Whether lunch or dinner, you have to get the burger stack. Best burger in Atlanta, IMO. (Yes, better than Holeman & Finch, though just barely. But you can get the burger at Bocado any time, rather than having to reserve a burger and wait for closing at H&F).

Many thanks for all the recommendations.

Going to King and Duke tonight in Buckhead.

Aria and KR Steakbar other good options in Buckhead

Rathbuns Steak and Barcalona are near downtown.

Neat little place and a great value is The Haven in Brookhaven.
Atlanta is just on fire right now with good place IMO but then again i live in Tampa King of the Chains…

Brian, just an FYI - you can get the “jars” as individual at dinner time. It’s not presented that way on the menu, but it is a possibility.

Bocado is a tasty burger, but you should give the one at The General Muir (http://www.thegeneralmuir.com/) a shot also (Todd Ginsberg, former chef at Bocado). Note - picture below is lunch burger (they serve a different one at dinner.)

Thanks for the recommendations! I am going to check out White Oak across the street tonight. Definitely going to try to make it to Empire State South tomorrow or Wednesday night. If any of the ATL locals want to grab a glass or a bite just let me know.

Does Empire State South have a bar (seating that just I could show up at) or is it tables only?

In town till Thursday afternoon so will try to make it a few places.

Yes, ESS has a bar (full service w/ food and drink).

White oak was delicious. The pimento and fried green tomatoes appetizer was very well done. Went to ESS last night and had the Jars app. Also very tasty. Wandered over to Decatur on the train for lunch and ate at Cakes and Ales bakery. Very fresh grain bowl!

Wish I’d known, I live right around the corner would have met you for lunch!
That grain bowl at Cakes and Ale is the work of David Sweeney, who runs the lunch program at C&A.
He used to own the now defunct Dynamish Dish, a great restaurant that developed a serious cult following a few years back.
He’s a special guy who has a way with vegetarian cooking.

Glad you enjoyed.

David is the best vegetarian/vegan chef in Atlanta. He does do some occasional non - vegetarian dishes on a whim. That grain bowl is fabulous. Glad you enjoyed it.

Many thanks for all the recommendations! Atlanta is truly a great food town and wish I had an unlimited expense account to eat at all the places I wanted to get to! And thanks to Anthony and the guys at PH on the recommendation on taking the train to Decatur! Would have never verntured over there but very glad I did as that is an awesome part of town!!

Although I didn’t hit up too many places I will say the fried green tomatoes and pimento at White Oak was a close favorite along with the grain bowl at Cakes and Ale.

Look forward to a return visit and checking out all the cool things going on down there.