good restaurant in Wash DC

Does anyone know of a good restaurant that has a good wine list (burgundy preferred) near the Willard Hotel? i’m traveling so i won’t be packing any of my own. I hesitate to say this but the quality of the experience can take precedence over the size of the bill on this occasion. Thanks in advance!

Central has excellent food and a good list but there are lots of choices. http://www.centralmichelrichard.com/

Wes, I am not your burg expert but there are a ton of threads in the travel forum on this topic. You might want to look at Cityzen

Wes:

Sent you a PM on this.

How about Proof?..http://proofdc.com/index.php

+1 on Central. Close to your hotel, excellent food, decent, French-centered wine list.

Marcel’s

Proof
775 G St NW

For more substantial fare along with your pour, check out Proof, known for its numerous small plates and 50 wines by the glass, kept fresh in an Enomatic system. Proof’s selection is from all over the world.

I agree that Proof has a great burg list as well.

Haven’t a clue if you could get, in. Sparkling wine is the best option with the many small plates. And, sorry, but not sure it’s close to where you’re staying, but it’s not to be missed if you’re in the vicinity.

A little further afield (on Florida NW) is Nora’s (Restaurant Nora) with many organic foods and a decent Burgundy choice. I’ve dined there about eight times and have always had a good dinner and wine. I especially like the Amish duck breast but it is not always on the menu.

just so you know, minibnar is near per se level pricing and the local critics have not been kind recently

I was there a couple months ago (after it re-opened). Yes, it is pricey, but IMO it is worth it and Sietsema’s review is unfair. No, you can’t get it on short notice (unless you know someone there and they get a cancellation).

But anyway, I don’t think it’s what the OP is looking for. (Neither is Restaurant Nora, but for very different reasons.)

I was at Proof tonight. The best part is the knowledgeable sommeliers there. They have given us spot on recommendations for wine, and the charcuterie board is impressive for $30. (Cheese are separate, but worthwhile. Get the Tallegio and La Tur. Be sure to try the applesauce and honey.) We didn’t really dine there tonight, just wine and snacks, but the food has been very good when we last did a sit down meal 2 yrs ago.

For quality of experience CityZen is spectacular and steep. My partner didn’t like the wine pairings with his tasting menu dinner and we frequently switched glasses. The service was amazing and they are very conscientious there. The amuse bouche are very nice, but if you can, order whatever has the Parkerhouse Rolls. Those are considered the best treat but they aren’t always on the menu and sometimes only come out as amuse bouche. It is however, no where near the Willard and frankly as a local, I find that neighborhood to be extremely desolate at night. Take a cab directly there and directly back.

Though I have not eaten there, I have heard very good things about Corduroy. This is their winelist: Corduroy
It seems to have an excellent Burg selection and might fit your bill.

Italian with a well-curated wine list is Bibiana. I was just there in November and the sommelier was good, the black spaghetti with crab is their signature dish and delicious. I had the seasonal venison and it was the best I’ve had in my life and would go well with a Burgundy. (We happened to bring a odd wine from Pompeii that night.) Service was good. They don’t have a current wine list posted so I can’t tell you if they tilt towards Burgs. Probably not. And the current dinner menu doesn’t have the venison on it, but the posted menu is frequently out of sync with the actual menu.

I’m partial to Zaytinya (Jose Andres’ Greek/Turkish/Lebanese joint)

Loved Proof and Central when we were there a couple years ago. I think they fit what you seem to be looking for and can’t imagine being disappointed with either.

POTUS and FLOTUS liked Minibar for Valentine’s Day and I guess it’s gotten better since the lackluster reopening review:

They seat 12 now. Best to call them on Feb 28th for a reservation March 29, 30, 31.