My new rib Roast method!!

Here is what I did…

I first did a wet age of 14 days… this is because I used half of the Primal for the Holidays and just left it in the cryo-vac bag, carefully watching and smelling it. I actually call this blood aging of the beef.

I then did a 14 day dry age…

The night before cooking, I cross hatch cut the top and salted the pc all over… 9# Boneless Majinola beef

Cooking:

I removed the roast @37 and rested it slightly , then into a 200F oven till it rose internally to 110.

I took it out baged it and into my sous vide bath… 136F for 6 hrs.

Then out of the bath, rest 10 mins as the oven went to 550 roast for 10 mins.

Couple things

The " Blood aging " creates a funky smell… so you have to really watch it. But gives the roast a nice bit of flavor.

The dry age process at 14 days, not sure it does much, but age the exterior fat, and concentrate the beef. I didnt get much flavor change on the interior.

I like the sosu vide finish, because its always a guessing game to get everything to com out at the right time exactly at the desired temp.

This does it!!

Paul

Interesting. What’s the reason for roasting at 200F before dropping it in the sous vide? I’d think the 550 would get you all the maillard reaction flavors?

But I’ve been meaning to give a sous vide rib roast a try so this gives me more of an incentive. Thanks!

Looks good to me.

Jay,

Part of the reasoning was by accident, I wanted to go low and slow, bake @200. So I put the roast in at 8 AM thinking a 9# roast may take 8 hrs to cook… Doh. By 11 I could see that was way off, so off I fetched my sous vide set up!!

I think it worked great… the extra roasting I think gives you just a bit of added concentration of flavor…

Let us know if you get sick. All that time aging in a home reefer and 9 hours below 140 just scares the crap out of me.

Paul, I did my first sous vide prime standing rib roast a couple of weeks ago. I got a prime 3 rib roast from Costco. I wrapped it in cheese cloth and kept in the fridge for 3 days. Then I seasoned it with Hitching Post Magic Dust and put under vacuum with my food saver and back in the fridge for another 48 hours. I prefer my meat rare so cooked it for 6+ hours at 117.5. Then seared it on all sides on my BBQ at high. Best cooked rib roast I’ve ever done and very creamy texture without being too fatty. I lucked out that this particular roast didn’t have large areas of fat as some prime standing rib roasts do.

Isn’t most dry aging actually done at the level of the primal and not the actual fashioned cut? The whole thing does sound like an experiment with bacteria. I am glad it tasted good, but I hope no one gets sick.

Eric, not Mr. Wood, but more technically dry aging is done on a SUB-Primal…strip loin, short loin (t-bone to porterhouse), standing rib roast and whole sirloin. I have done this many times and have not had a problem yet. A good trimming of the dried surface is all that is needed. This is where a lot of waste occurs, so if you did it with a portioned steak, the bulk of it would be trimmed and discarded leaving you with a small bite.

The chance of food poisoning is not as high as you think when dealing with whole muscle as the interior of the roast is essentially sterile. Yes surface bacteria may proliferate but searing the entire roast on all sides will kill virtually all the bacteria at the surface. BTW, keeping meat at 140 for 35 minutes results in a 7 log reduction in salmonella according to the USDA guide and meat is just as “safe” as cooking poultry to an internal temperature of 165. I did a sous vide turkey breast at 140 for 4 hours and was the best and juiciest turkey meat I’ve ever eaten. Take a look at this article for details How to Cook Sous Vide Chicken Breast | The Food Lab

Thanks Tex.

Yes, I’ve also done dry aging in the fridge many times (usually 3-7 days) and never had a problem.

What sort of freaked me out here was the combo of dry age, wet age, and cooking at MANY hours below 140 degrees.

Exactamundo.

Everett,
Thanks for linking this, I’m new to cooking sous vide and liked this explanation!

I thought I was pretty good in the safe zone!! Again this is large muscle, most if not all colonization is on the ouside.

I cooked the exterior @ 200 for 3 hrs

I cooked sous vide @136 for 6 hrs-- I think this achieves pasturization of some depth

I cooked the exterior again @550 for 10 mins

I think all the above… made a wonderful safe meal for everyone.

The company that did my daughters wedding, cooked the same cut, 135 in a wet roasting oven for 18hrs. Commercial oven

DP

I’m relatively a newbie too, only 6 months, but its becoming my method of choice for cooking meats, especially for parties. Even my non-scientific minded friends understand why poultry cooked sous vide to 140 is as safe as traditional oven or grill cooking to 165 now.

I had to show you a cross cut of Majinola beef!! From my roast!!

Looks awesome!

I really love Majinola but their products seem to be increasingly difficult to buy as an individual - seems perhaps they’ve really focused on Commercial sales now.

Yep!! Darn it …

I keep, bugging Mark to get me a side of Beef cheeks. flirtysmile