Caviar

Alright, so I know nothing here…

My wife wants some caviar to eat over the general mirth period coming at us. Again, I know nothing really at all…

I see us buying and eating the stuff only very rarely moving forward, so don’t want to bother with cheap and or crappy options, but don’t also feel the need to jump straight to the insanely priced options either. Can anyone point me in the direction of where or what I should be looking for? Should I even bother looking local (ie Portland) or simply suck it up and go online and deal with shipping?

I realize this is an incredibly open ended question, but any help or thoughts would really be appreciated.

Go look at Zabars

Since you live in Portland OR, I’d suggest ordering from Catalina Offshore Products in San Diego. Their address and phone numbers are: 5202 Lovelock St. San Diego, CA 92110
Phone: (619) 297-9797 - Fax: (619) 297-9799.

This place rocks

Catalina is a great place (I use them) and would use them for salmon, tobiko and other goodies but if you are looking for sturgeon i would suggest this place:

or one of the many places that sell their product. It’s sustainably farmed. There are other American Caviars you could check out too.

I’d stay away from Caspian caviar because of the impending doom facing the species there.

Happy hunting.

Beluga is illegal in the U.S now so any of that you see is either black market of questionable origin. I would looked for farmed Osetra from Israel or somewhere else in the mideast. To me they are the best due to their size and firmness of the egg. I hate mushy caviar. There are many sources and you will probably pay around $100/oz. In Israel there is some sustainable caviar production. There are some good domestic sources also for less money but I am less familiar with those so hesitate to recommend one. I am sure others will chime in.

I think how you serve the roe is also key. I like mine very, very plain usually just the caviar maybe a blini a little egg yolk but tend to stay away from the cremes and onions anything with a very strong flavor. Do not use a metal spoon.

George

I had mushy caviar at La Folie a few weeks ago. Awful but then again at $110/oz in a restaurant i was not expecting to be great. Although I did expect it to be better than it was.

“Make someone’s holiday briny and bright!” Sterling White Sturgeon Caviar. Part of #thefrenchlaundry exclusive limited-edition Schramsberg Sparkling and Caviar Experience available December 1st at Finesse Magazine | Thomas Keller Restaurant Group The French Laundry on Instagram: ""Make someone's holiday briny and bright!" Sterling White Sturgeon Caviar. Part of #thefrenchlaundry exclusive limited-edition Schramsberg Sparkling and Caviar Experience available December 1st at finessemagazine.com/gifts"

But appears Keller is using it!!

I have never had Sterlings Product.

And free shipping if you order 60 grams or more!

Or you can walk on the edge and get snail eggs (“escargot caviar”)

Browne trading Co. Supplies Daniel Boulud and many of the best east coast restaurants with super promo fish. They do very nice caviar.

I’ve ordered from caviarstar.com with no problems. For a party, I like to do three and compare; Osetra, good domestic paddlefish/sturgeon, and some salmon roe. Good variety of flavors, great looking color contrast.

You can make blini if you are feeling ambitious.

Ordered from them maybe 1/2 dozen times…no problems ever.

The American stuff can be surprisingly good. And Paddlefish etc., also better than one would expect.

I love caviar but have not thought about it for a long time. Now I want some…

How is the stuff from Russ and Daughters?

The problem is that you need a lot. Guy Savoy does a sublime dish with an enormous sized portion of the good stuff.

My wife has been expressing a curiosity about trying caviar so I’ve bookmarked most of the links in this thread.

What about serviing suggestions/recipes?

Outside-the-box wine pairings?

I was looking at one of the websites the other day and it seemed that going with Paddlefish might strike a balance between price and quality - something that isn’t just tiny quantities on a special occasion. While probably clearly not as good as the real thing, how is the Paddlefish in your opinion? Enjoyable and close enough to the real thing that it is worth the trade-off for being afforable?

Best served by itself on a blini if you ask me. Some folks like a little creme fraiche or sour cream, and some try to cover up the taste even more by adding bermuda onion or hard boiled egg.

Another good simple service is to roast some halved baby Yukon or other baby potatoes and use them in place of the blini. It adds a bit of sweet that I like sometimes.

Toast points are also popular and much cheaper than buying blini. Here is a blini recipe if you are feeling semi-ambitious…
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/buckwheat-blinis/

Sometimes good, sometimes muddy flavors, especially if served too warm. I prefer sturgeon, but everything is personal opinion. Some folks like good salmon roe better than beluga or osetra Again, my advice is to buy an ounce of three different ones and see which you like best. Then go to another source and do the same.

Agree with Chris, paddlefish can be good – I haven’t noticed a muddy flavor tho.

Salmon roe always strikes me as not in the same category at all as sturgeon caviar.

Best caviar I ever had was Iranian. Probably quite impossible to obtain these days.