Cary's Chongqing spicy Alaskan Cod fillets

I hope you don’t mind, Cary, but I thought this dish deserved a thread of its own. [basic-smile.gif]

I made this last night, and it was SO YUMMY! The only thing I didn’t have was the specific chili bean paste you used, so I did a mash-up of some aged bean curd in chili oil (I smooshed it up) and combined that with some more chilis. Not authentic, I know [wow.gif] , but it was good anyway. Really REALLY good. One question, though, is there a reason you boil the fish rather than pan sauteing it?

I just bought a CS wok…this i must break it in with…yes its seasoned …the best i could do w/o the neighbors call the firedept…cuz of the smoke

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Man. I need to make this again; I’ve been real lazy with cooking the past month.
Paul, for this recipe, a wok isn’t really necessary as the protein actually is poached in a different pot, but it doesn’t hurt! Let us know how it goes!

My guess is that it evenly cooks the fish gently and evenly so the meat can retain its delicate texture. I have made this recipe by taking some short cuts and cooking the fish in a sautee pan for several minutes before dumping in the “base flavorings” ingredients and can get pretty close to the original method. Also some firmer white meat fish may handle the shortcut method better than others.

For the chili bean paste, if you can’t find the Sichuanese stuff, the generic chinese/taiwanese stuff is fine also (ubiquitous Lee Kum Kee brand has one). If you go to a Ranch 99 or Marina there is significant self space devoted to chili bean paste. A sea of red!. Sriracha or chili sauces are different and shouldn’t be used.

Glad you liked the recipe. Credit goes to Dunlop’s Land of Plenty cookbook. One of my favorite, and most used in my core collection of cookbooks.

I’m moving to Napa, and I have a cousin in Concord, and there is a 99 Ranch Market in Concord, so I will have more access! Yay!
Plus, I will be going to SF every chance I get. [basic-smile.gif]