Flap meat. Found some. Now what?

Saw an episode of America’s Test Kitchen and they discussed this as a good hamburger blend enhancer.

Fine. But anything else I can do with it?

Carne asada?

Leave it out in the sun to attract buzzards, which you can then shoot, pluck and turn into a lovely stew?

Carnegie asada. Marinate with oil, lime, worstershire, salt, Mexican oregano.

Carnegie asada, eh?

From a review of the Stand in Seaside, OR:

Best burrito I’ve ever had. > The Carnegie asada at the stand is the greatest thing I’ve ever had rapped in a tortilla. I like things simple and that’s the way fix up my burrito. The steak is chard just right, with a nice crust on the outside and still juice on the inside. Then they add fresh guacamole, fresh jalapeño, and sour cream. It doesn’t get any better than that. Thank you Stand for doing it the right way.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/243/1144877/restaurant/Oregon/Stand-Seaside

Rapped and chard! Good right up tho! :wink:

Fajitas
stir-fry

Wait, what?

prbly iPhone spell check. Curry is still new to it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

you must practice a lot to make that dish…

AKA Vacio. It’s interchangeable with skirt steak, so fajitas, etc would be fine as well. Marinade & grill, cut against the grain and serve.

good one Mel!

I’ve made things like chili and goulash with it, but I’ve been deciding that chuck probably is better for those uses.

The 2 are side by side in the Costco meat case and I bought chuck by mistake and thought it was better.

I hate apple auto-correct. Just as annoying on the iPad as it is on the iPhone.

Turn it off?

Very important.

Absolutely for carne asada!!

Marinate the meat a 1/2 hour before putting on the grill with:

• juice of an orange
  • juice from a few limes

Just before putting on a grill (ideally, using mesquite charcoal), season with coarse salt.

Fire should be hot so the meat gets a nice char.

Chris, did you prepare it yet? There were untried by me recipes in the SF Gate article in post 2.

We need to hear about your experience!

The Mexican butchers around here cut it into very thin pieces, which resemble skirt steak, and sell it as “ranchera meat” which is quickly seared on both sides on a grill, then sliced into strips for carne asada. There is a technique to cutting it the right way, it takes a while to get the knack of it.
But you can also cook the whole piece, the way you would a tri tip. It is a very flavorful piece of beef.

Here is what ranchera meat looks like - they essentially butterfly it off the piece of flap
A minute or a minute and a half a side is about all it takes - it stays juicy inside, and gets a char on the outside.
It makes the best carne asada

Arrachera/ Flap Meat