• Texas
  • Memphis
  • Carolinas
  • Kansas City
  • Other

0 voters

What is the best regional BBQ style?

[popcorn.gif]

I love that vinegary Carolina BBQ… but is that north or south carolina or even east vs. west? I seem to remember there are differences.

I also think Cornell chicken, which is a unique NY state BBQ actually invented by a Cornell prof, is delicious. White BBQ sauce, plenty of vinegar, etc.

Flawed poll (but you knew that, of course).

Carolinas?

North Carolina has two predominant styles: Eastern (whole hog, vinegar sauce with no tomato) and Piedmont/Lexington/Western (shoulder, vinegar and ketchup sauce).

South Carolina has three: two are similar to NC; the third uses hams and shoulders and a mustard-based sauce.

Famous Dave [smileyvault-ban.gif]

Picking fights on a Friday afternoon . . .

Doesn’t this belong in the Politics Forum? [snort.gif]

Bruce

Bob, don’t get technical with us. I could have said:

Texas
All other

There is simply no wrong answer here. All of the styles are glorious!

Correctamente Eric!!!

The next question is what WINE (ignoring beer for the moment) goes best with all styles.

A: Zinfandel!!!

Beer, beer, beer…

I generally agree. But on a cold late Fall or Winter evening, a great Zin can be a shockingly fine pairing.

Since Bob’s gone technical on us, I must get more specific about Texas BBQ.

There are three major subcategories:

1. East Texas (basically Southern BBQ … boring)
  2. West Texas (cooked directly over coals, includes beef, goat, mutton, snake, lizard;
  3. Central Texas (utilizes beef as well as pork, popularized in the Hill Country by German and Czech immigrants)

By “Texas” BBQ, I’m referring to 3) The “Sultan of Smoke”

Podnah’s!

I believe that Podnah’s is “Texas Style”?

OK so it’s eastern North Carolina that I love.

Also, ever had a Baltimore pit beef? Spice rub on the beef, that is then quickly (not slow cooked) grilled so it’s still rare inside. Thinly sliced and served with a mayo-horseradish based sauce. Another of my favorites.

I’m just as not as into tomato based BBQ sauces, though they can be great.

Don’t forget Santa Maria style.

+1

Agreed…but Memphis is the best.

I love California tri-tip off the grill.