Recommend me a hot sauce

I like Franks – that’s my day to day hot sauce but lately it isn’t hot enough for me. I don’t like how vinegary Tobasco is. So my options are to add cayenne to Franks or find a sauce like it but hotter.

How can you use just one hot sauce?

I use at list 6 depending on what it is going on.

French Fries, Eggs, Humus etc. Sriracha
Grits - Tobasco or Crystal
Gumbo - Tobasco
BBQ - Tobasco Chipotle
Oysters - Tobasco Green
Wings - Texas Pete or Franks
Pork Rinds - Crystal or Texas Pete
Black eyed peas - Crystal
Black Beans - Cholula
Greens - Pepper Sauce made from hot peppers and vinegar
Sambal Olek for all kinds of recipes etc. and Mae Ploy on things like broccoli

Cholula, if I was only allowed one. But also really like Tobasco Green and anxious to try their new Buffalo.

Yep, probably my two faves

Sent from mobile

My go to hot sauce is Tabasco Chipotle.

But if you want hot, get some Dave’s Ghost Pepper or Melinda’s Naga Jolokia.

I love Cholula with fried chicken. I like it better than Sriracha or Crystal which are both excellent too. I too like Texas Pete’s.
Fried chicken is the world’s best use of hot sauce to me.
For pork, I like the Sriracha which is mildly sweet. On the Momofuku pork buns it is absolutely the best
If it is eggs, I would rather have Crystal for that. For grits, I only use sawmill gravy or butter. No hotsauce.
Gotta try Tobasco Green it appears.

Maybe try not to recommend Tabasco products.

Cholula gets a lot of requests when I’m putting together hot stuff. It’s pretty popular.

This place gives you a big selection.

http://www.hotsauce.com/

* spelling point taken

It’s Tabasco, folks.

Tabasco.

Secret Aardvark Habanero Sauce. http://www.secretaardvark.com/products.html It’s hot but not insane like a lot of Habanero sauces (but definitely hotter than Franks) and has great flavor from roasted tomatoes. It’s a local Portland brand but it looks like you have to order 6 bottles if you buy it from them online, but you can find other retailers on their website.

I don’t find the Tabasco Chipotle vinegary at all, but that was why I threw out some alternate brand, ridiculously hot, hot sauces.

yeah…that is my favorite all purpose sauce, though…the green is good for pork…and the others fine, too. Isn’t this really a matter of trying them and figuring out one’s own tastes…sort of like wine…

I have them all at home…or most of them mentioned…i often put a couple or few out on the table at a meal. I’ve got some black bean cuban style going now…so…maybe I’ll have to see if Milton’s mix with Cholula suits me…Of course, I only have the one with chilli.

Funny how I’ve liked hot foods more and more as I’ve aged. I would have guess just the opposite when I was younger. Anyone else find this to be the case?

And, I don’t like any hot sauce with oysters…only lemon or lime…for me it kills the subtlety…

Bob…at first, I thought you were answering the question posed…not correcting the spelling. I thought it was a little authoritative…even for you.

We had a long discussion about all known hot sauces and whether to refrigerate or not last August. for reference and to add to the discussion at hand:

We usually have Tabasco, Cholula and Tapatio at any given time. I used to have red and green Pico Pica on hand since it is a tomato based sauce and a nice change from the vinegar sauces.

I use a wide variety, like the various Cholula sauces a lot, and Tabasco especially the “special” family recipe. Sriracha, Crystal, Frank’s, all have a place.

And while this is not technically a “sauce” I am getting addicted to this stuff. Just exactly hot enough for me and majorly delicious for marinating stuff for a stir fry. You need to go to an Asian market and get lucky to find it. Lan Chi chili garlic paste. The name means something like “Orchid Record.”?

Yes, I forgot to mention Sriracha. Local California product with an Asian influence!

Sriracha (spelling?)
Tapatio (def. less vineagary than Tabasco, but maybe not as hot as you’d like — that said, take a flyer - a bottle shouldn’t run you more than a buck).

i like Tapatio and Tabasco Chipotle for every day.

Saw this in the store recently - can’t imagine what would warrant its use however. Any ideas?

Wife got me this for XMAS…

Pretty hot.

I have one of the hotter Dave’s Insanity sauces, and I only use it for soups or stews- a VERY little goes a long way. I am nearing the end of a bottle I have had for probably close to 2 years. I guess in that respect it is a good QPR. lol

If you want chipotle, try Bufalo brand rather than Tabasco. Or just buy a can of chipotles en adobo and use up the liquid.

Yeah, I gotta agree (God help me) with Bob. Bufalo is highly recommended by hot-sauce geeks. So is El Yucateco Chipotle.

El Yucateco Chipotle Hot Sauce