Recommend me a hot sauce

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
EricG
GCC Member
GCC Member

Recommend me a hot sauce

#101 Post by EricG » January 9th, 2015, 12:22 pm

RS Beck wrote:Take a handful of jalapeño peppers, a handful of Serrano peppers (remove the end with stem), 4 or 5 good sized cloves of garlic, a green onion, a good pinch of cilantro, juice of one lime, two table spoons of apple cider vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, a pinch of black pepper, a small pinch of oregano - put it in a blender, purée, add more salt or sugar to suit your taste, put in a 12oz glass bottle, refrigerate, and use. See if you want to continue using store bought hot sauce or if you now have the confidence to make your own fresher, tastier hot sauce.

You can dial the heat down by removing the seeds and ribs from all of the Serrano peppers, half of both peppers, or all of the peppers.

I like it with full heat.

From there, you can expand to other peppers and blends, make your own hot sauces customized to your palate and enthusiasm for heat.
Rob, I've thought about doing this for a while. Thanks for the starter recipe. [cheers.gif]
G = G_e_r_b_e_r

Jon A-K

Recommend me a hot sauce

#102 Post by Jon A-K » January 16th, 2015, 12:32 am

I like to keep several around, but the two that I eat the most of are Jardine's Sontava (XX or XXX) (ingredients are habanero peppers, fresh carrots and onions, lime juice, vinegar, garlic, and salt) (product of Belize) - tasty stuff, with a fresh and non-vinegary flavor:

and, if you can call this a hot sauce, Lao Gan Ma Spicy Chili Crisp (ingredients are soybean oil, chili, onion, soybean, MSG, prickly ash powder, sugar, salt, sulfur dioxide, and sodium sulfite... yeah, I know) (product of China, Guizhou province) - straight up addictive, and not just due to the large amount of MSG in it... I think... :
Jѻn Adαm$-КαnƐ
CT: BƐƐrzebub

Jon A-K

Recommend me a hot sauce

#103 Post by Jon A-K » January 16th, 2015, 12:39 am

By the way, I enjoyed reading this thread and will seek out some of these recommendations... already looking forward to getting some Secret Aardvark the next time I'm in Portland!
Jѻn Adαm$-КαnƐ
CT: BƐƐrzebub

P. Willenberg

Recommend me a hot sauce

#104 Post by P. Willenberg » January 16th, 2015, 6:55 am

Jon A-K wrote:By the way, I enjoyed reading this thread and will seek out some of these recommendations... already looking forward to getting some Secret Aardvark the next time I'm in Portland!
They ship. don't miss their black bean sauce.
Paul (@pwillen1 on CT, Twitter, Instagram)
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

JIMCOH
GCC Member
GCC Member

Recommend me a hot sauce

#105 Post by JIMCOH » January 17th, 2015, 8:24 pm

Our stock currently includes the following. All are used, some daily.

Melinda's Scorpion Pepper Sauce - The hottest
Dave's Ghost Pepper Sauce - The next hottest
CA Johns "Z" Nothing Beyond - By far the best tasting - very fruity - very very hot
Marie Sharps "No Wimps Allowed" -- nothing special
Assorted Szechuan Chili Sauces
Dave's smoked Habanero powder
Dave's Chipotle powder - used almost daily

Most of these are not recommended for everyone. For the first two, a drop is more than most people would want in an entire bowl of chili.
We eat pickled jalapenos like sweet peppers and pickled Ghost peppers as a hot treat.

Choose wisely. [training.gif]
Jim Cohen

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

Recommend me a hot sauce

#106 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » February 19th, 2015, 10:14 pm

Patrick Friel wrote:Just did a trip to Jamaica and loved this stuff. This brand includes onions, scallions, garlic powder, and thyme. Very nice flavor along with the heat and you can still taste the food.
Walkerswood's wet jerk seasoning is by far the best wet jerk I've had.

... good lord, did that sound bad ... [wow.gif]
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Scott G r u n e r

Recommend me a hot sauce

#107 Post by Scott G r u n e r » February 20th, 2015, 10:45 am

JIMCOH wrote:Our stock currently includes the following. All are used, some daily.

Melinda's Scorpion Pepper Sauce - The hottest
Dave's Ghost Pepper Sauce - The next hottest
CA Johns "Z" Nothing Beyond - By far the best tasting - very fruity - very very hot
Marie Sharps "No Wimps Allowed" -- nothing special
Assorted Szechuan Chili Sauces
Dave's smoked Habanero powder
Dave's Chipotle powder - used almost daily

Most of these are not recommended for everyone. For the first two, a drop is more than most people would want in an entire bowl of chili.
We eat pickled jalapenos like sweet peppers and pickled Ghost peppers as a hot treat.

Choose wisely. [training.gif]

I do NOT envy your colon. I have the Dave's ghost and use it sparingly- It is easy to overdo it as you say, and I enjoy quite a bit of heat.
//Cynic

AaronE

Recommend me a hot sauce

#108 Post by AaronE » March 28th, 2015, 2:24 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
Patrick Friel wrote:Just did a trip to Jamaica and loved this stuff. This brand includes onions, scallions, garlic powder, and thyme. Very nice flavor along with the heat and you can still taste the food.
Walkerswood's wet jerk seasoning is by far the best wet jerk I've had.

... good lord, did that sound bad ... [wow.gif]
Their jerk sauce is fantastic. Amazing how good some plain chicken breast can taste when marinated with it.
E=Ehrlich

Scott Butler

Recommend me a hot sauce

#109 Post by Scott Butler » March 30th, 2015, 8:28 am

CWun wrote:I've become of a big fan of this "curry" hot sauce. It's relatively mild, which is fine as I think most hot sauces obliterate the taste of the food you're eating.

I just opened my first bottle of this, quite delicious!
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member

Recommend me a hot sauce

#110 Post by Kenny H » March 30th, 2015, 10:12 pm

Found this stuff in Grenada purely on accident. It is currently by a long shot the best hot sauce I've ever had.

Serious heat but tremendous flavor. Goes with anything. Addicted!

What I like in particular compared to other hot sauce is they incorporate mustard seed so it has some body compared to just vinegar/peppers. Scotch bonnets, vinegar, mustard. Good stuff.

We also keep the usual suspects of sriracha, sambal, and cholula in the house. My tolerance for heat is pretty high. One of my favorite salads will include one whole serrano and habanero chopped coarsely mixed with veggies, doused in apple cider vinegar and crushed red pepper. Delicious.
H0eve!kamp

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Recommend me a hot sauce

#111 Post by Robert M yers » December 10th, 2018, 8:38 pm

Anybody have any new discoveries in the hot sauce world? My current favorites are from https://adoboloco.com/hot-sauce/ stumbled across them on clearance at World Market, but can’t find them local any longer. They are pricey and HOT but incredible imo.

Rajesh P a r i k h

Re: Recommend me a hot sauce

#112 Post by Rajesh P a r i k h » December 11th, 2018, 4:16 am

rachel mcdonald wrote:
January 16th, 2012, 12:56 pm
Secret Aardvark Habanero Sauce. http://www.secretaardvark.com/products.html It's hot but not insane like a lot of Habanero sauces (but definitely hotter than Franks) and has great flavor from roasted tomatoes. It's a local Portland brand but it looks like you have to order 6 bottles if you buy it from them online, but you can find other retailers on their website.
This has become my go to. Very good and a good bit spicier than stuff like Cholula without being too spicy.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”