Who likes congee (juk)?

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Victor Hong

Who likes congee (juk)?

#1 Post by Victor Hong » September 14th, 2011, 12:35 pm

How easy to make! I threw a block of frozen chicken stock, one cup of rice, and a handful of salt-cured duck gizzards
into a pot.

After three hours of simmering, a thick, creamy, and flavor-rich porridge resulted, with virtually no tending or mess.
To serve, I put olive oil, pickled ginger slivers, and a raw egg into a ceramic bowl, ladled over the hot congee, and
finally garnished with diced scallions and sriracha sauce. OMG.
WineHunter.

Peter Kleban
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Who likes congee (juk)?

#2 Post by Peter Kleban » September 14th, 2011, 12:42 pm

Had this in Taiwan for bfst some years ago. But the recipe was far less interesting, just rice and maybe some stock as far as I could tell. Tasted like "cream of rice". They said it was favorite dish when you were sick...

Victor Hong

#3 Post by Victor Hong » September 14th, 2011, 12:47 pm

Post-surgery, I could use the warmth and calories of this dish.
WineHunter.

Peter Kleban
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Peter Kleban » September 14th, 2011, 1:02 pm

Yes, I can understand. Hope you are feeling better.

Patrick Friel

#5 Post by Patrick Friel » September 14th, 2011, 1:29 pm

Congee and the Thai version, kao tom, are great canvasses for whatever you want to add. My favorites are garlic oil (oil and minced garlic warmed until the garlic loses its raw aroma), shredded ginger, ground pork, whatever tender veggies are around, and otherwise repulsive 1000-year-old eggs. Wonderful, comforting stuff.

Victor Hong

#6 Post by Victor Hong » September 14th, 2011, 1:49 pm

Patrick Friel wrote:Congee and the Thai version, kao tom, are great canvasses for whatever you want to add. My favorites are garlic oil (oil and minced garlic warmed until the garlic loses its raw aroma), shredded ginger, ground pork, whatever tender veggies are around, and otherwise repulsive 1000-year-old eggs. Wonderful, comforting stuff.
I understand that those preserved eggs can be repulsive to the non-initiated. However, they are great in congee.
WineHunter.

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by David K o l i n » September 14th, 2011, 2:06 pm

Victor Hong wrote:
Patrick Friel wrote:Congee and the Thai version, kao tom, are great canvasses for whatever you want to add. My favorites are garlic oil (oil and minced garlic warmed until the garlic loses its raw aroma), shredded ginger, ground pork, whatever tender veggies are around, and otherwise repulsive 1000-year-old eggs. Wonderful, comforting stuff.
I understand that those preserved eggs can be repulsive to the non-initiated. However, they are great in congee.
Agreed (and I like them outside of congee as well). Your recipe sounds terrific, Victor. Hope your road to recovery is all express lane.

Patrick Friel

#8 Post by Patrick Friel » September 14th, 2011, 3:14 pm

David K o l i n wrote:
Victor Hong wrote:
Agreed (and I like them outside of congee as well). Your recipe sounds terrific, Victor. Hope your road to recovery is all express lane.
Absolutely a nice salty, pungent kick for congee. How else do you eat them, David?

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#9 Post by c fu » September 14th, 2011, 3:29 pm

Peter Kleban wrote:Had this in Taiwan for bfst some years ago. But the recipe was far less interesting, just rice and maybe some stock as far as I could tell. Tasted like "cream of rice". They said it was favorite dish when you were sick...
Hey Peter,

In taiwan the idea of congee is very very different from that served in Hong Kong. Hong Kong "juk" is flavored with meats, seasoning, broths and is a meal in itself. Typically for Taiwanese, congee (not juk) is just like a bowl of rice, it's to add to the meal. So it tends to be very uninteresting.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Mark Y » September 14th, 2011, 3:58 pm

I LOVE congee...love any style.. flavored, non flavored, mmmm
Y.e.

Peter Kleban
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Peter Kleban » September 14th, 2011, 5:27 pm

Charlie Fu wrote:
Peter Kleban wrote:Had this in Taiwan for bfst some years ago. But the recipe was far less interesting, just rice and maybe some stock as far as I could tell. Tasted like "cream of rice". They said it was favorite dish when you were sick...
Hey Peter,

In taiwan the idea of congee is very very different from that served in Hong Kong. Hong Kong "juk" is flavored with meats, seasoning, broths and is a meal in itself. Typically for Taiwanese, congee (not juk) is just like a bowl of rice, it's to add to the meal. So it tends to be very uninteresting.

Thanks, Charlie, didn't know that newhere !

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Dan Hammer » September 14th, 2011, 6:13 pm

My first taste of congee was at the Conrad in Singapore (SIN). I figure if it was good at a hotel, it must taste even better in the real world. Voctor, when will you be preparing a homemade batch? And the big question, what type of wine goes with congee?
This space for rent.

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by David K o l i n » September 14th, 2011, 6:50 pm

Patrick Friel wrote:
David K o l i n wrote:
Victor Hong wrote: I understand that those preserved eggs can be repulsive to the non-initiated. However, they are great in congee.
Absolutely a nice salty, pungent kick for congee. How else do you eat them, David?
During my time in Beijing, it was not unusual to have the egggs cut into qurters or eighths and served as a side dish (particularly in baquests for westerners to test their mettle). I also remember a nice dish of firm tofu, century eggs, garlic, shredded ginger and scallions

Victor Hong

#14 Post by Victor Hong » September 14th, 2011, 7:22 pm

Dan Hammer wrote:My first taste of congee was at the Conrad in Singapore (SIN). I figure if it was good at a hotel, it must taste even better in the real world. Voctor, when will you be preparing a homemade batch? And the big question, what type of wine goes with congee?
I made some for the first time from scratch at home, today. Perfect results. No wine pairing.
WineHunter.

CWun
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by CWun » September 15th, 2011, 12:06 am

Cantonese juk >>> Taiwanese shi-fan...as I always point out to my Taiwanese wife.
C@r_y

WKChoy

#16 Post by WKChoy » September 15th, 2011, 1:23 am

I like the Cantonese, Fujianese and Thai versions. Not that keen on Japanese, and have not tried others.

One of my favourites is Cantonese style with roasted (crispy) pig intestines.

Ian Fitzsimmons

#17 Post by Ian Fitzsimmons » September 15th, 2011, 5:33 am

I was in the Peace Corps in Thailand a long time ago, where long-distance travel was invariably by overnight bus. On every trip, we would be woken at a pre-dawn stop to have a reviving breakfast of congee. It was great, nourishing, nutritious, tasty, and I've loved it ever since.

Christine Huang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Christine Huang » September 15th, 2011, 8:19 am

LOVE the stuff! It's what I crave when I'm under the weather. I grew up on the plain Taiwanese version, but we always sprinkled pork sung (Dried, flavored finely flaked pork) on it. Sometimes, my mom would also grill some sweet Taiwanese pork sausage and slice them up for us to eat with it.

I like the other versions of it too. Sometimes, I make it with stock and other bits for flavor, but then don't sprinkle on the pork sung. If I've been out late and anywhere near downtown, I'll swing by Great NY Noodletown and pick some up for the morning after... [drinkers.gif]

1000 year-old eggs: LOVE them too. Only buy the ones that come from Taiwan (Chinese versions can contain lead). Chilled, sliced and put on top of chilled soft tofu. Sprinkle on some chopped scallions if you like, drizzle with oyster sauce. Great Summer starter.

e chin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by e chin » September 15th, 2011, 9:07 am

My mom and thankfully my wife uses the turkey carcass from Thanksgiving to make the stock. After that you can add anything you please and it will taste fantastic. Just another reason I am thankful on Thanksgiving.
Ed

“if you're comfortable with your passions and opinions, you shouldn't feel the need to convince other people that they're wrong” Tim Fish

JKim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by JKim » September 15th, 2011, 9:17 am

Not a fan.
Joe

P. Moy

#21 Post by P. Moy » September 15th, 2011, 10:58 am

Oh, the memories of congee (zhou in Mandarin, literally, gruel or porridge)! When I lived in Shanghai, I walked every morning to the home of my future wife, where her grandmother prepared bowls of zhou for breakfast. Accompanying it were plates of peanuts, pickled vegetables, fermented bean curd, 100 year old eggs, and the leftovers from the previous night's dinner if anyone was still hungry. Nutritious and easy to digest, zhou was my staple every morning for the five years I lived in Shanghai.
Peter Moy

Ramon C

#22 Post by Ramon C » September 15th, 2011, 5:04 pm

Love congee ... one of my preferred comfort food.
I'm not sure I can attempt to make at home, but Victor's recipe, and the rest of the thread, will be kept if ever needed.
@brera

Berry Crawford

#23 Post by Berry Crawford » September 16th, 2011, 2:48 pm

Love it.

Victor Hong

#24 Post by Victor Hong » September 16th, 2011, 3:14 pm

Chinatown sells so many things to add to congee. For instance, during the simmering stage, one can
add dried oysters or scallops, cured duck gizzards, Chinese-styled bacon, salted fish, or roasted bones.
For serving, excellent garnishes might also include seaweed, sesame oil, roasted duck, braised
tripe, watercress, or pea shoots.

I am firing up another pot tonight, because the weather has cooled and my surgeon recommended
extra caloric intake to help healing.
WineHunter.

Victor Hong

#25 Post by Victor Hong » September 17th, 2011, 8:38 pm

In a massive, almost desperate, effort to absorb protein and calories for healing, here is what I ate today:

1 banana
2 bowls of congee, garnished liberally with olive oil and 3 eggs
2 chorizo and salsa soft tacos
5 chocolate biscotti
3 bowls of chicken and vegetable biryani

This pushed my weight from 142.5 pounds to 145. Let us hope that this sticks.
WineHunter.

Tom Blach

#26 Post by Tom Blach » September 18th, 2011, 4:20 pm

I love congee-the best cure for a hangover. I like it plain with some preserved vegetables, or with shredded chicken or beef, shredded 'scallion' and ginger, fried garlic, chilli oil etc. But most of all I like 'boat' congee where you line the bowl with thinly sliced fish with a little sesame. You pour on boiling juk which cooks the fish.

Victor Hong

#27 Post by Victor Hong » November 13th, 2011, 7:36 am

Not cold enough lately to savor juk at its soul-warming best. We need for winter to arrive.
Still, I make a pot every weekend now, as the basis for weekday lunches.
WineHunter.

Eric Ifune
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Eric Ifune » November 13th, 2011, 6:50 pm

The Japanese version is blander, also served to convalescents.

Patrick Friel

#29 Post by Patrick Friel » November 13th, 2011, 8:39 pm

Victor Hong wrote:Not cold enough lately to savor juk at its soul-warming best. We need for winter to arrive.
Singaporeans don't agree in spite of their proximity to the equator. We ate congee when we lived there but I always looked in wonder at Singaporeans dining alfresco, huddled around a hot pot. [shock.gif]

Victor Hong

#30 Post by Victor Hong » November 14th, 2011, 3:26 am

Patrick Friel wrote:
Victor Hong wrote:Not cold enough lately to savor juk at its soul-warming best. We need for winter to arrive.
Singaporeans don't agree in spite of their proximity to the equator. We ate congee when we lived there but I always looked in wonder at Singaporeans dining alfresco, huddled around a hot pot. [shock.gif]
Childhood caning inured them to sensation.
WineHunter.

Victor Hong

#31 Post by Victor Hong » December 4th, 2011, 6:41 am

At last, a colder morning here in Noo Yawk. So, at 7:30AM, I tossed a frozen block of
home-simmered chicken stock into a large pot, and added one cup of rice, five dried
oysters, a garlic bulb, four clove buds, and two sprigs of roof-garden rosemary.

This will bubble gently for the next few hours, turning into a great but easy and
inexpensive lunch.
WineHunter.

LMD Ermitaño

#32 Post by LMD Ermitaño » December 4th, 2011, 9:44 am

Love it. My favorite has long been with shredded pork and 1000 year old eggs.
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by dcornutt » December 4th, 2011, 11:29 am

Luis,

Do you eat Balut?
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Patrick Friel

#34 Post by Patrick Friel » December 4th, 2011, 12:31 pm

Victor Hong wrote:... and two sprigs of roof-garden rosemary.
Intriguing. You been using rosemary in congee for a while or is this an experiment, Victor?

Victor Hong

#35 Post by Victor Hong » December 4th, 2011, 6:09 pm

Patrick Friel wrote:
Victor Hong wrote:... and two sprigs of roof-garden rosemary.
Intriguing. You been using rosemary in congee for a while or is this an experiment, Victor?
A while. It is great yet subtle.
Congee is the perfect tool for culinary experimentation. If something does not work well, boil to death and eat it anyway. [wow.gif]
WineHunter.

LMD Ermitaño

#36 Post by LMD Ermitaño » December 4th, 2011, 6:40 pm

dcornutt wrote:Luis,

Do you eat Balut?
I used to in the past, especially in high school/college after long drinking sessions. I've had it only a handful of times in past decade though.
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

Victor Hong

#37 Post by Victor Hong » January 12th, 2012, 8:22 am

Ahhhh.....
Home-made congee for lunch, on a rainy workday.
WineHunter.

e chin
GCC Member
GCC Member

Who likes congee (juk)?

#38 Post by e chin » November 26th, 2013, 3:20 pm

Thanksgiving = juk. Huge pot made that sadly doesn't last for long. OK I'm thankful for more but... yummy.
Ed

“if you're comfortable with your passions and opinions, you shouldn't feel the need to convince other people that they're wrong” Tim Fish

Corey N.

Who likes congee (juk)?

#39 Post by Corey N. » November 26th, 2013, 4:03 pm

I think I need to ask my girlfriend to teach me how to make it. The thought of having congee on a cold chicago morning sounds fantastic.
WOTY: 2013 d’Yquem

Nøv¡¢k

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

Who likes congee (juk)?

#40 Post by c fu » November 26th, 2013, 4:13 pm

Corey N. wrote:I think I need to ask my girlfriend to teach me how to make it. The thought of having congee on a cold chicago morning sounds fantastic.
I got you. Water and rice. 5-6parts water to rice. cook on low after you get it to boil for as long as you'd like. The longer the thicker/stickier it gets. Add ingredients if you'd like. I like mine plain and I add toppers later. But our cantonese friends on this board will mix things in while cooking. Both are quite tasty.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Corey N.

Who likes congee (juk)?

#41 Post by Corey N. » November 26th, 2013, 4:16 pm

Thanks Charlie. Approximately how long does it take? I had this idea that I could stick the ingredients in a crockpot and wake up to fresh congee the next morning.

Nøv¡¢k

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

Who likes congee (juk)?

#42 Post by c fu » November 26th, 2013, 5:35 pm

Corey N. wrote:Thanks Charlie. Approximately how long does it take? I had this idea that I could stick the ingredients in a crockpot and wake up to fresh congee the next morning.
um. i'd say about a hour tops.

You can definitely slow cooker it. Probably 8 hours on low should do the trick. But I think slow cooker congee tends to be soupier.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Jeremy Holmes

Who likes congee (juk)?

#43 Post by Jeremy Holmes » November 26th, 2013, 7:40 pm

Love it, especially with century egg.
ITB

CWun
GCC Member
GCC Member

Who likes congee (juk)?

#44 Post by CWun » November 26th, 2013, 8:21 pm

My mom used to make turkey juk with turkey leftovers. yum.
If you have one of those Zojirushi rice cookers, there is also a porridge setting (same thing). I find that setting makes thick juk. One can adjust the water level with some experimentation to your desired thickness level. Zojirushi porridge plus the timer setting = easy-mode.

Also, it should be obvious, but the type of rice used makes a difference.

If you're feeling really crafty, you can use chicken stock as part or all of the cooking liquid. That makes my first example of turkey juk really killer.
C@r_y

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

Who likes congee (juk)?

#45 Post by Jay Miller » November 27th, 2013, 8:23 am

Arnold makes a really good Arroz Caldo (a Filipino version of congee) about once a month. Usually chicken or tripe. And ginger of course.
Last edited by Jay Miller on November 27th, 2013, 10:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Corey N.

Who likes congee (juk)?

#46 Post by Corey N. » November 27th, 2013, 8:24 am

I love the flavors of ginger and sesame oil in congee. Anything else is a bonus.

Nøv¡¢k

CWun
GCC Member
GCC Member

Who likes congee (juk)?

#47 Post by CWun » November 27th, 2013, 11:27 am

Corey N. wrote:I love the flavors of ginger and sesame oil in congee. Anything else is a bonus.

Then a version you might try is Cantonese fish jook.
Typically using a white fish (tilapia, perch, halibut, whatever is convenient for you) fillet, cut in an inch pieces. Ginger, white pepper standard ingredients. Can garnish/cook with anything really. Green onion, preserved duck eggs (pi dan, pei dan), salty eggs (shien dan, ham dan), just no freaking yams. ;)
C@r_y

Patrick Friel

Who likes congee (juk)?

#48 Post by Patrick Friel » November 27th, 2013, 11:39 am

One of my favorite garnishes is garlic oil. You just fry some minced garlic to infuse the oil with its flavor and spoon it over the congee.

Not sure this is a Chinese thing. I know the Thais use it with their take on congee (khao tom) which is more like a rice soup than a porridge... oh, and some sliced chilies in fish sauce. That will warm you up on a cold winter morning! [wink.gif]

CWun
GCC Member
GCC Member

Who likes congee (juk)?

#49 Post by CWun » November 27th, 2013, 11:56 am

Patrick Friel wrote:One of my favorite garnishes is garlic oil. You just fry some minced garlic to infuse the oil with its flavor and spoon it over the congee.

Not sure this is a Chinese thing. I know the Thais use it with their take on congee (khao tom) which is more like a rice soup than a porridge... oh, and some sliced chilies in fish sauce. That will warm you up on a cold winter morning! [wink.gif]
Ah good tip.

One could probably add a twist by adding thai chili peppers in the frying oil to get color and some heat. For a numbing effect, one could add sichuan peppercorns to the chilis too.

Gonna try this week.
C@r_y

Corey N.

Who likes congee (juk)?

#50 Post by Corey N. » November 30th, 2013, 9:44 am

Made my first batch of congee today and it turned out reasonably well. Didn't have any ginger in the house so it was seasoned with salt, pepper and sesame oil. The chicken I added fell apart in the congee...really good. May be making more tomorrow.

Nøv¡¢k

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”