Austin, TX: any can't miss restaurants?

where’s a great place to eat in Austin? BYO?
alan

Alan,

My current favorite restaurants in Austin are as follows:

Congress (non-byo)
Paggi House (non-byo)
Wink (byo)
Olivia (byo)
Barley Swine (byo)
Aquarelle (byo)
Trio (non-byo)

Other good restaurants in the “fine dining” type of vein:

Uchi/Uchiko (byo)
Asti (byo)
Fino (non-byo)
La Traviata (non-byo)
Jeffrey’s (non-byo)
Driskill Grill (?)
Hudson’s on the Bend (non-byo)
Parkside (non-byo)
Mirabelle (byo)
Fabi & Rosi (byo)

Tex-Mex:

Matt’s El Rancho
Maudie’s
Angie’s

Barbeque:

Franklin’s (the hype is justified, but recognize that you need to get there around 10:00 a.m. and wait in line a couple hours – in 100+ temps – to get anything)
Smitty’s (in Lockhart)
Kreuz (in Lockhart)

Just don’t let anyone talk you into going to The Salt Lick.

agreed.

Greg: thanks for the exhaustive list. What about Chez Nous?
alan

Greg’s list is a good one. Chez Nous is a good BYO place with bad glasses and solid good food. If you are staying downtown and need a place to walk to it is a good option. Barley Swine is our current favorite. http://barleyswine.com/. FWIW - the chef recently was one of the Top 10 best new chefs in the US from Food and Wine mag. Its limitations are that it is really small with potential communal seating and a long wait. I’ve dreamed about their foie gras dish. [cheers.gif]

Ill second Olivia. Had a great dinner there on Saturday (quail was very good). Limit of 2 bottles per table for BYO, but we got a bottle off the list and they cut us a break on corkage. Plus they do local ingredients and have Joseph Swan zin, so the place has to be good.

And if you’re going to hit up BarleySwine, make sure to stop by their original spot on S Lamar. It’s a little food trailer that cranks out some high end plates called Odd Duck. It’s BYOB in the cool little lot it’s on. But you may want to wait for the Texas heat to simmer down a bit. And don’t forget dessert next door at Gordough’s.

Why not? Its been a good 10 years since I’ve been there, but recall liking the food quite a bit.

Uchi - Had a great dinner there. Food is solid & could stand up to sushi restaurants here and in the Bay. We brought a bottle and went by the box from their sake list.
Gourdough’s - I don’t eat doughnuts regularly. I ate there 3 times in 5 days.
Second Bar & Kitchen, which is affiliated with Congress, had nice small plates, with good flavors. I wouldn’t hesitate trying the main room.
Fino - Good meal. Went BTG. The cocktail list looked interesting.
Franklin’s - For me, the appeal was textural, especially the fatty brisket and pork ribs. I didn’t go crazy over the flavors, but the attention to detail is admired. I would try it again.
Frank - Hot dogs were good. Beer and cocktails very appreciated. They also serve Intelligentsia.

Austin was a great trip. A visit to Spec’s has me dreaming of some DRC to go with our next meal in town.

Bumping this because we’ll spend a few days in Austin in the early Spring.

Anything new that anyone can add to the thread? (And BYO is not a concern for me.)

Also, good places for cocktails, please!

While I’m here - we’re also going to San Antonio for a family reunion. I am not sure that I will have any influence on the dining plans, but in case I might, any suggestions?

Because it sucks. Imagine someone from out of town raving about the quality of the clam chowder at TGI Friday’s on Newberry (if it still exists).

Justine’s
Uchiko
Perla’s - Lobster Roll
La Condessa

here in austin for a week right now!!!

Plus:

Pizza:

House Pizzeria (neapolitan style)
Little Deli Pizzeria (ny style)
Coal Vines (sadly, I must admit that this Dallas import is making some pretty tasty pizza)

Cocktails:

Haddington’s (also good food here)
Bar Congress (also, good food here – can order from the Second Congress and Congress menus)

General Dining (i.e. good but not purporting to attempt “fine” dining):

Second Congress
Haddington’s
24 Diner
Max’s Wine Dive
Ranch 616
and others

Wow, so definitive. Well, I guess I’ll just go f*&k myself…

D’oh!

I forgot Chez Nous – excellent french bistro and byo

What’s the difference between Uchi/Uchiko? Is one better than the other? More casual/formal? Need reservations at both? And, BYO at both?

Thanks!

Chris

Uchi is the original and a little more formal (for Austin). Uchiko has a casual bar seating. Reservations are recommended for both. They have similar food but not exactly the same menu.

Andrew

Salt Lick doesn’t suck. I have had some excellent meals there and their byo policy has ensured I drank well too. It is not the overall best, but they make damn good ribs and solid brisket & sausage. The crowds can be insane on a weekend.