¡Padrón!

I wasn’t planning to cook tonight-- we have tons of leftovers in the fridge from the 4th, and it was 87° at 4:00. But then I spotted padrons at the store, and I couldn’t resist. There’s usually one spicy one in the batch, but they were pretty much all hot tonight! That was a first for me.

This was my dinner, accompanied by nothing but a glass of Ameztoi Rubentis.

mmmm…

love me some padróns I’ll be on the look-out at my next farmer’s market

They’re here??? Awesome! Will be looking for them.

We planted one for the first time…there are a few beauties but I think we are better off buying them! [rofl.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

I gave up on peppers. We’ve planted chiles a few times, and then we just look at them and say “what in the hell are we going to do with all of these chiles?” So we’d stash them in the freezer and use them slowly until it was time to just toss the rest in the trash.

Now tomatoes… you just can’t have too many tomatoes.

These have made summer more enjoyable. Must find soon…

Okay, I now own some of these.
Never cooked them before.
Hot pan, olive oil, stir and fry until blistered, sprinkle with sea salt - is that the drill?
TIA.

Yep.

Yum! We went through 2 pounds over the long 4th weekend.

Nolita loves them. When I am in Spain they are just about a daily staple. I just heat up my deep fryer (which has EVOO in it). Throw them in, give em a shake or two, then sprinkle them with sea salt.

Too expensive here unless they’ve dropped in price.

The price isn’t bad here in CA in season. Amazing little treats. Odd to say that about a green pepper.

Did you like them? How was the heat? I’d never had consistently hot ones before this batch.

I loved them - but I knew I would; this was my first time cooking padrons, but not my first time eating them. Something less than 10% were hot, but those very hot. And that’s coming from someone with a high tolerance for spicy heat.

I’ve had padrons many times, but I’ve never had one as hot as the batch I picked up this week. They were like serranos! I love spicy food, but when your nose drips into your dinner, well, that’s not good. [cheers.gif]

The rule of thumb is the earlier they are in the season the sweeter the batch. Late summer padrones are generally hotter. We have a variety now though that is almost always sweet. I used to have to taste each one of the ones I gave to Nolita. Now I don’t if I buy that variety. I love spicy, but the rest of the family is not crazy about it. I don’t think I could have done the ones you had Carrie.