So how do you make your onion rings?

Rich Sutton …posted he made onion rings flirtysmile

Last week we had a fish fry… Simple batter… seasoned flour-- egg – seasoned flour for the fish…( Blue gill -crappie–Bass )

But my buddy made home-made Vidalias onion rings too ( but with a store bought batter )!! Great with the fried fish. MY pairing was a 09 Sonoma Carlisle zin though

Their are a few fried treasures… and a good onion ring is one of the best. Thanks Rich for the idea, just curious if and how does everyone make theirs… if you do?

Cheers

Paul

Beer batter

Just beer and flour stirred together until it makes a thin-ish batter (thick enough that it clings). Salt after frying.

I buy mine. I’ve never been able to get the batter to stick.

I follow a Nancy Silverton method where the rings are dusted with flour, coated in sourdough starter diluted with sparkling water, then fried (I use peanut oil). Delicious!

Beer batter - s/p,garlic, ap flour, egg, fat tire
peanut oil @ 375

I use this for shallots. I’ll do a couple pounds of them at Thanksgiving and heap them over the green bean casserole.

I love me some rings.

Has anyone successfully made a Bloomin’ Onion at home?

Hopefully you will have one for Sunday…

Yes, and it’s not too difficult. Mine didn’t look quite as good as your photo, but the concept was there.

We use this tempura recipe:

The saoda water & baking soda is a neat trick.

Rich

I use the Nancy Silverton recipe with a sourdough batter. Tempura batter is more like a frilly negligee barely obscuring its luscious contents. For onion rings, I often prefer the much more substantial sourdough batter - more like flannel pajamas. Today I made these using sweet Vidalias with grilled cheese on Tartine olive oil pan de mie.

I love me some onion rings…ok, I’ll eat anything deep fried, but I really love onion rings. We’ve never tried making them at home, but this thread has motivated me. Plus, beer batter is flirtysmile

I use a recipe the chef de cuisine gave me from the old Craft Steak in NY. You soak the onions in buttermilk for a half hour or so, then in a wet/flour mixture of various spices and corn starch added with beer used as the wet ingredient (soda water as well if its still too thick). They are beautiful when they come out and very tasty. I think I once posted the recipe here and can do so again when I have time (expecting guests any minute).

WEll…

I started messing around with a few ideas… I first cut the onions in 1/2 inch slices , seperated them and tossed them in some flour

First batch of Vidalia Onion rings:

I used Buttermilk pancake mix with water, coated and fried. OK but the batter fell away from the ring, but was light and crispy maybe a bit thicker.

Second batch:

I added an egg to the first batter, this produced a puffy onion ring, where the batter actually expanded around the ring, good adhesion, but probably not my style.

Third Batch:

I used buttermilk pancake batter , mixed with club soda and added some Anston Mill Natural corn meal… I kept the mix fairly thick and allowed the onions to sit awhile in the batter…

You know these things were pretty good, the corn meal added a bit of nice texture, but again… the batter didn’t stick as well as i would like… I think i’m going to air dry my next batch a bit to see…

Cheers

The best I’ve ever made involve a dunk in a thick batter (milk, egg, flour, baking soda and powder) and then a roll in breadcrumbs and , like most things to be fried with batter/breading…15 minutes in the fridge to get a seal.

To me, these are the ideal. I am not a fan of onion rings that have a pancake batter on them; they get pretty steamed and the batter doesn’t remain on after the first bite. These do, and are crunch all the way.

Dredge rings in seasoned flour shake off excess.
Dip in batter made from 50% flour/50% Prosecco.

I just toss mine in seasoned flour and into the fat. No batter at all. They come out just barely coated at all but they do crisp. Suppose I could do the ad hoc chicken buttermilk treatment. Have it leftover from the chicken anyway. Will do this tomorrow.

By volume or by weight :wink:

[swoon.gif] [thumbs-up.gif]

I’m reminded that it’s that time of year. Burgerville’s Walla Walla onion rings have arrived. They’re an annual ritual in these parts.

bill that looks awesome.