when in Italy....eat italian food! Or else.....

It started in Lucca this week, when the town council banned any new ethnic food outlets from opening within the walls of the medieval city. And it quickly spread to Milan: a ban on ethnic foods, meaning foods that are not Italian. The Northern League party wants to protect regional specialties from the encroaching popularity of ethnic cuisines, like egg rolls and kebabs.

The Italian Minister of Agriculture, Luca Zaia, applauded the restrictions, saying ethnic restaurants should “stop importing container loads of meat and fish from who knows where” and use only Italian ingredients. Asked if he had ever tried a kebab, Mr. Zaia said no: “I prefer the dishes of my native Veneto. I even refuse to eat pineapple.”

Isn’t “pasta” originally from China?

And tomatoes are originally from North America.

Well yea, and when you get right down to it, Venetians are from Kenya.

And wine is from France right? [whistle2.gif]

No Rob, good wine is from France. [d_sunny.gif]

No. Wine is from Iran.

Sounds like something the US should try. Seems to me not long ago I saw that the Chinese were importing some ferocious fish that killed everything in the rivers. They were bringing them in alive to the US and letting them go in some Chinese worship deal. These fish were wiping out the native fish in streams in CA, NY,NJ, the Chesapeake BAy area, etc. The pictures of the areas affected looked like the spread of the Black Plague.

The area would look much better with one less Mexican or Chinese “$1 a Scoop” restaurant on each block.

You will have to pry my Taco de Barbacoa out of my cold dead hands! Ditto some Korean BBQ…

but there they just call it food