It's been too long! Pizza!

The pizza threads seemed to disappear around here lately. I must not let that happen.
Homemade dough
sliced mozzarella
homemade San Marzano sauce
grated parmigiano reggiano
fresh basil
W-S pizza stone, preheated for 45 mins
515 for 8.5 minutes

Mike,

Have you been playing with any different yeasts in your pies? Wild Yeast starters or Sour Dough!!

Dough Recipes Archives - PizzaGoon: Pizza Blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.culturesforhealth.com/ischia-sourdough-starter.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paul

1 Like

I’ve been using Chris Bianco’s recipe this winter, about 3 batches so far. It’s been a bit of an epiphany. Thin and light, with crust and chew. I’ve not tried Caputo 00 or Varasano’s recipe, but I’m not sure I really need to look much farther than this. Go to Martha Stewart’s website (That’s right, Martha Stewart!) and search for “Chris Bianco pizza”.

I just quickly looked at Bianco’s recipe - thanks for posting that - and unless I made a mistake in my calculation, it looks to be at least 70% hydration, which seems mighty high to me. I have found even the 65% in the vera pizza napoletano recipe has been too wet for me, and have gotten better results at about 60%. It probably depends on where one lives, as I am certain that Bianco has significantly less humidity in Phoenix than I have up here in the NW.

Anson Mill’s Pizza Maker’s Flour
85% hydration, instant yeast
San Marzanos
Fresh mozzarella
Spinach
Garlic
5:30 at 550F, Fibrament baking stone

A few people in the thread on Modern Cuisine mentioned using a steel plate placed just below the broiler ion order to make a quick pizza at home. Anyone tried this technique?

Jeff… I’m currently making ( having made ) a stainless steel plate 3/8" thick that will fit in the oven. 14 " x 18 ".

will report back in a few weeks, it will be here Monday 3/14 but… busy for a few weeks

Bumping the Pizza thread again!!

This I made last night in 30 mins, I used 1/2 cup of 110 degree water, Table spoon of Trader Joe honey, 1.5 teaspoon Red Star Quick rise yeast, pinch of salt, and add Red Mill Flour to it comes together, ( 1- cup ) ? Need for 5 mins… mean time get oven heating to 550, I also heated the cook top grate for a min, after kneading the dough, cover with olive oil, and placed on the warmed grill plate to rise 5 mins, I got out a 9 by 13 sheet pan, add a liberal amount of olive oil… this is to fry the dough first, after the 5 min rise, I spread the dough, docking and into the hot oven to pre-fry the crust . Remove and toppings. dress with Rao’s Sauce, meatballs, mushrooms, bacon , romano, and oregano, black pepper… reduce temp… bake at 400 fro 10-12 mins

I served this with a left over 07 Cliff Lede Cab… as the Cocks finished the Gators off [cheers.gif]

Paul, Nice job!
Especially for the time it took to produce such a good looking pie.

Summer is almost here (going to get up to 60 today, even with the rain, I think), so I am starting to try to figure out how to make pizza in the Weber. I bought an inexpensive stone for the grill, and tried it out using close to a 70% hydration, sort of like the Bianco recipe. I liked the feel of that dough quite a bit,much more so than in the past when I tried some higher hydrations. I didn’t get the grill nearly hot enough, so it took more than 15 minutes to get the top the way I like it, but the bottom was excellent, so they cooked at the same rate. Not a bad first effort. I would have taken pictures, but the vultures were on them as soon as I took them out. I need to use a lot more charcoal, I guess. I also need to let the stone heat up longer.

That’s what got me kind of excited!! I had just finished playing indoor soccer for an hr and wanted to get on to the baseball game…

So I had to think of some quick ideas, measured water, dough by feel, quick rise ( on the warm burner ), and your idea of making a Sicilian pizza ? ( the one you cooked in abundant olive oil )

Its not a preferred method… but worked!!

Cheers

Paul

Pear and Gorgonzola Pizza with Caramelized Fennel
by: Jerry James Stone

2010 North Coast Viognier from Cline Cellars.

Jeff…I have always wanted to build a stainless steal dome…with an open front…to put on my stone…to move the heat sourch closer to the pie…say 6-8 inches…to help get the top done at a faster rate

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Paul, this works for me. This year sans aluminum covering but the heat is concentrated around the pie nicely.

Here is one I did just last Friday with pretty good results. Wood burned, charred, browned, and crunchy/crispy.

Thanks MIke…

Sounds like something to play with!!

Nice looking pie Mike. My girlfriend has requested a grilled pizza this weekend. I am happy to oblige with a goat cheese vegetable variant.

Gorgonzola, Fig and Pancetta Pizza

Pairing Suggestion:
Beer Since this pizza has a lot going on—from creamy cheese to sweet figs—pair it with a refreshing lager, like Tasmania’s James Boag’s. A sparkling rosé, like the NV Jansz Premium Rosé, would also work.

Mike - can you give complete directions on method of making and handling the dough? I don’t want “fried” like Paul’s, just oven-baked.
I have not made pizza since my daughter was born - ummm, 17 years!

Of course, Merrill.
Mine is 500 g bread flour
325 g water
10 g salt (I use sea)
7 (package) g of dry yeast

I put everything together and do a quick mix, then into the KitcehAid it goes. Worm dough hook until it pulls away from the sides. Cut this in half and place into 2 oiled dough retarding pans ( http://www.bariequipment.com/details.php?prodId=915&category=9and ) into the fridge it goes. I get better result in about 4 days. I remove about 2 hours early and work dough once again and cover and let rest. I use as much bench dough as needed and I NEVER use a rolling pin. Let me know if you need additional help.

BTW, please look for the new Berserker/Pobega Pizza blog right here on this site sometime this week, It’s called ‘DIY Pie’.

Yeah, my head is swimming after reading this. I need help. I think it is called “LSEDI pie” - Let Someone Else Do it Pie.
I advertised (I think it was last week) for a man to cook every night - must live out - and all the takers I got was 1: Tex - saying sorry, he’s married. and 2) Bob Wood. Of course he wanted a plane ticket. Tra Vigne Pizzeria is looking better and better flirtysmile .