It's been too long! Pizza!

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Mel Hill

Re: It's been too long! Pizza!

#1651 Post by Mel Hill »

I’m a no on a $49 under 3 pound pizza pan. I don’t think this is something you pre-heat and even if you did, the thermal mass is rather small. I’m sticking with the 22 pound baking steel that lives in the oven and has a tremendous amount of thermal mass to transfer heat to the pizza crust and only cost 2x the price of the made in product.

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1652 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y »

I would totally take Kawehi's Pizza Masterclass.

Cheers,
/<evin

"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

TimF
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1653 Post by TimF »

Mel Hill wrote: April 27th, 2021, 8:50 am I’m a no on a $49 under 3 pound pizza pan. I don’t think this is something you pre-heat and even if you did, the thermal mass is rather small. I’m sticking with the 22 pound baking steel that lives in the oven and has a tremendous amount of thermal mass to transfer heat to the pizza crust and only cost 2x the price of the made in product.
Please let us know which steel you use. I want to switch from stone for my Ooni. Any issues with sticking?
Tim F@itsch

Mel Hill

#1654 Post by Mel Hill »

TimF wrote: April 27th, 2021, 6:14 pm
Please let us know which steel you use. I want to switch from stone for my Ooni. Any issues with sticking?
https://bakingsteel.com/products/modern ... al-edition

have not had any issues, not sure if it fits an Ooni, I'm in oven or on a gas grill (but not for pizza)

TimF
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1655 Post by TimF »

Mel Hill wrote: April 27th, 2021, 7:34 pm
TimF wrote: April 27th, 2021, 6:14 pm
https://bakingsteel.com/products/modern ... al-edition

have not had any issues, not sure if it fits an Ooni, I'm in oven or on a gas grill (but not for pizza)
My Ooni is 16x16 so I'd be giving up a couple of inches. But it's not like I ever use the entire area.
Tim F@itsch

TimF
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1656 Post by TimF »

I just ordered this from eBay which is similar to the one Jordan recommended in the Ooni thread.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324374692250
Tim F@itsch

Joe Chanley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1657 Post by Joe Chanley »

I have one similar to that which was recommended in this thread years ago, Tim. It's 3/8 inch thick, maintains heat well and lives in my oven. Works very well.

TimF
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1658 Post by TimF »

I took delivery of the steel today. The thing weighs 30 pounds! Was a total PITA to clean. Very awkward to move around and lift. I’ve got it in the Ooni for seasoning right now. It came up to 500F in just a couple minutes.
Tim F@itsch

Paul Miller
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1659 Post by Paul Miller »

Used ramp pesto, fresh oyster mushrooms, and gouda cheese, on a whole wheat crust
AF6337CB-1054-45F5-A667-11724D63F08B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TimF
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1660 Post by TimF »

TimF wrote: May 1st, 2021, 1:14 pm I took delivery of the steel today. The thing weighs 30 pounds! Was a total PITA to clean. Very awkward to move around and lift. I’ve got it in the Ooni for seasoning right now. It came up to 500F in just a couple minutes.
Well it’s definitely possible to overheat the steel. 30 minutes preheat in the Ooni is definitely too much time. The second and third pizzas were much less charred.
Tim F@itsch

JDavisRoby
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1661 Post by JDavisRoby »

TimF wrote: May 4th, 2021, 6:59 pm
TimF wrote: May 1st, 2021, 1:14 pm I took delivery of the steel today. The thing weighs 30 pounds! Was a total PITA to clean. Very awkward to move around and lift. I’ve got it in the Ooni for seasoning right now. It came up to 500F in just a couple minutes.
Well it’s definitely possible to overheat the steel. 30 minutes preheat in the Ooni is definitely too much time. The second and third pizzas were much less charred.
I have a baking steel. My first couples pizzas with it were magic. Then I started using it to sear steaks and other meats. Last few cooks I can’t get a pizza to bake without charring the bottom in about 20 seconds and the top doesn’t get cooked at all. Not sure if needs to be re-seasoned but part of it I know is the dough I am using isn’t designed for the high heat.
Joshu@

TimF
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1662 Post by TimF »

Coincidentally tonight was the first time I used store bought dough. So that might have had something to do with it.
Tim F@itsch

stevetimko

#1663 Post by stevetimko »

I'm posting this because of the discussion at the end about how parchment paper is better for pizza than a pan. in an oven. But I wonder if the discussion about seasoning pans also applies to pizza steels.
Illegitimati non carborundum

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1664 Post by mike pobega »

The sum of all my hard work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joe Chanley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1665 Post by Joe Chanley »

looks awesome as usual

Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1666 Post by Kenny H »

Man that looks scrumptious. What is your cheese selection?
H0eve!kamp

Brian Tuite
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1667 Post by Brian Tuite »

Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1668 Post by mike pobega »

Kenny H wrote: May 7th, 2021, 8:03 am Man that looks scrumptious. What is your cheese selection?
Thanks. That is bufala mozzarella and fresh grated parmigiana-reggiano.

stevetimko

#1669 Post by stevetimko »

Please pardon the intrusion again. This is for French onion soup pizza.
Illegitimati non carborundum

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1670 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y »

They should be offended: it looks like a NY-style pizza. [snort.gif]
Cheers,
/<evin

"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

TimF
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1671 Post by TimF »

Last night’s winner was olive oil, truffle slices packed in oil, fresh shaved garlic and mozzarella.

I’m curious if others have tried fresh truffle slices on their pizza and if you put them on before or after the cook.
Tim F@itsch

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1672 Post by mike pobega »

I use oil on.my mushroom pie sometimes. I add post cook. Probably would truffle as well.

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1673 Post by Jim Stewart »

Yes, it has been too long . . .
I recently starting making pizza again after a long time away from doing it almost weekly for many years. I have a new dough recipe and tonight I used it to make a first try at Detroit pizza.
detroit1.jpg
detroit2.jpg
detroit3.jpg
detroit4.jpg
detroit5.jpg
ain’t got the do re mi
-Woody Guthrie

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1674 Post by Jim Stewart »

Those of you who haven’ yet blocked my posts might want to think about it . . .

Postulate #1: The dough is the key player in the pizza. You can have bad pizza with a good dough but you cannot have good pizza with a bad dough.
303087B8-ACB0-48C4-AC2E-4FCD92F827B0.jpeg
[attachment=0]CBED8660-CB75-464D-8017-37DCC556FA2D.jpeg[/attachment
ain’t got the do re mi
-Woody Guthrie

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1675 Post by Jim Stewart »

Excuse the mono-mania but you’ve been warned and you might know me from previous threads. . .

I am continuing my resuscitated weekly pizza making and sticking with the Detroit Pizza style. It is a pan, deep dish style, but the trademark feature is that the cheese is put on the pizza first and then the toppings on top of the cheese. I experimented a bit this week and switched the dough from a 50/50 ratio of all purpose flour / ‘00’ flour to 100% ‘00’ flour. This produced a denser and chewier crust IMO. I also added some chopped fresh rosemary to the dough. Both changes rang the bell! The crust reminds us both of focaccia which ain’t a bad thing. Cooking the pizza in a pan coated with olive oil also adds a nice crispness to the bottom of the crust.
1047EF9F-5595-4DC9-910F-1E56C763CA1C.jpeg
2E14E85B-1AFF-4DC4-88EA-E0A9CC3D8DDD.jpeg
ain’t got the do re mi
-Woody Guthrie

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1676 Post by Bdklein »

^^Nice . Not made by me but a local pizza place. I feel like I'm eating healthier . It's a my go-to.

Whole wheat, grilled chicken, veggies , and cheese . This was the last slice so a bit bummed (couldn't pick my slice)since it was a bit light on the veggies and bit heavy on the cheese
B r u c € K 1 e 1 n

TimF
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1677 Post by TimF »

Anyone ever try a ratatouille pizza? I’m thinking a really cooked down and silky ratatouille as the sauce and then some feta on top. 🤔
Tim F@itsch

Victor Hong

#1678 Post by Victor Hong »

stevetimko wrote: May 6th, 2021, 2:38 pm I'm posting this because of the discussion at the end about how parchment paper is better for pizza than a pan. in an oven. But I wonder if the discussion about seasoning pans also applies to pizza steels.
viewtopic.php?p=2935605#p2935605

Parchment paper is key.
WineHunter.

Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1679 Post by Kenny H »

TimF wrote: June 26th, 2021, 2:31 pm Anyone ever try a ratatouille pizza? I’m thinking a really cooked down and silky ratatouille as the sauce and then some feta on top. 🤔
Great idea. Have not but I have used caponata. Just watch the salt with feta.
H0eve!kamp

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1680 Post by mike pobega »

Yesterday's pizza.
Fresh mozzarella, sautéed sweet onion, hot soppressata and a few yellow dattarino tomatoes dropped in for good measure.

TimF
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1681 Post by TimF »

No matter what I do I cannot get round pies like yours. I think I need to actually go and work with an expert in person. My wife is even worse than me. They usually look like Ohio.
Tim F@itsch

Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1682 Post by Kenny H »

TimF wrote: June 29th, 2021, 7:04 am No matter what I do I cannot get round pies like yours. I think I need to actually go and work with an expert in person. My wife is even worse than me. They usually look like Ohio.
What is your process for kneading bulking proofing and resting?

Inability to shape is purely a gluten chain problem, there isn't any trick to shaping aside from mechanical choices of hand pressing, tossing, gravity stretching, or some combination thereof. Any dough should be able to be rested for 30min-1hr and be able to shape easily. How slack it is becomes a function of bulk fermentation level, moisture content, temperature, and time since last shape.
H0eve!kamp

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1683 Post by Jim Stewart »

mike pobega wrote: June 29th, 2021, 2:40 am Yesterday's pizza.
Fresh mozzarella, sautéed sweet onion, hot soppressata and a few yellow dattarino tomatoes dropped in for good measure.
That’s a beautiful crust , Mike !
ain’t got the do re mi
-Woody Guthrie

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1684 Post by mike pobega »

Thanks Jim.

Pat Esposito

#1685 Post by Pat Esposito »

Still working on the heat of my Ooni but starting to like the results coming out. Three different cheeses plus fresh oregano from the garden

Billy Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1686 Post by Billy Evans »

This will be tldr for many, but...

I've been making NY style pizza for a year or so now. Using the recipe from the Dough Doctor (Tom Lehmman) on the Pizzamaking forum, and cook it on a thick (1" thick) cordite (sp??) stone that I heat in my oven for 1.5+ hours at 525 convection bake. A pie will cook in about 4 minutes on this stone/temp without using the broiler, and I typically turn the pie once at the 2:15 mark.

The recipe, to get that slightly chewy NY thin crust, uses All Trumps flour (bromated preferably), which is very popular among the NY pizza and bagel shops. I think you can only get it in 25lb bags unless you buy from a place that repackages in smaller bags. I use Caputo's blue tipo 00 flour when cooking high temp on the Ooni, but for the oven and NY style pizza use All Trumps.

I created a pizza calculator in Excel for this, but using baker's math this is the recipe. All measured by weight. The percentages listed are in relation to flour. So, if you start with 214 grams of flour, then you add 126 grams of water (59%), 3.8 grams of salt (1.75%), etc.

100% - All Trumps flour
59% - water (from cold water tap, not cold or warm, if your tap water is very cold in winter, then you might want to let it get to room temp)
1.75% - salt
2% - sugar
.375% - Instant Dry Yeast (I use SAF IDY)
2% - olive oil

I put the stand mixer bowl on a scale and first add water, salt and sugar to the stand mixer bowl. Then add flour and yeast, and put the bowl on the stand mixer and mix. Once all the dry flour is gone/incorporated, but BEFORE it forms a cohesive ball, add the olive oil (the oil helps the crust pick up flavors from the toppings and baking process and the sugar aids browning in lower temp home ovens). Lehmann claims the timing of adding the oil in this way gives the best results, but I can't remember why.

A couple keys to that NY thin, slightly chewy crust is using cold/room temperature water and a long proof in the fridge and using All Trumps flour (if not available, something like King Arthur bread flour -- something in similar protein range to All Trumps). Mixing about 8-10 minutes in stand mixer, don't bother with anything like a window test, since the gluten development happens in the fridge via chemical, rather than mechanical, means. You want it to proof in the fridge for minimum 24 hours, up to 72 hours. I find around 48 hours to be the sweet spot. Take the dough out about 4 hours before you are ready to make the pie and let it warm up and do the final proof at room temp.

Don't roll it, hand stretch it (great youtube videos showing many techniques).

I usually make enough dough for pies I'm going to make (usually for the weekend) and then enough to freeze. For the frozen ones, I make the dough balls, put them on parchment/wax paper on a sheet pan and slightly flatten them and then put some olive oil on them to prevent them drying out and then put in the freezer for 3-4 hours. Then, take them out and put them in freezer ziplocks, or if you have a food saver, that's preferable. I store them in the freezer, and then taken them out 48-72 hours before I'm going to use them and let them defrost and then start proofing in the fridge.

For the dough going straight in the fridge (not freezing), make into individual dough balls, put a little olive or vegetable oil on them to keep from drying out, and then for first 90-120 minutes, keep the container lid partially cracked, so as they cool down the water vapor will escape and not condensate in the container, and then cover the container with the dough balls.

To get NY style thin crust, you need to use a formula to figure out dough ball size.

Most recommend a thickness factor between .07-.09 for NY crust, and I use .08. Thickness factor is essentially the amount of dough in ounces per square inch, I believe. The formula is (Diameter in inches x .5)squared x PI x thickness factor. Or, for a 14" pie, the excel formula would be: =(10*0.5)^2*3.14*0.08 which equals 6.28 oz or 178 grams.

If interested in shooting for that NY pizza thin crust, but you don't want to mess with the formula, here are some common sizes and doughball in grams rounded up or down to a nearest 5 grams. Once you know how many pizzas you want to make at a given size, you can do the math using the bakers match recipe. As a short cut for baker's math, if using the recipe above, if you know how many total grams you need, like say 350 grams for a single 14" pizza, then you can multiple 350 grams by .615, and that will give you the amount of flour you need to start with (214 grams in this case), because in bakers math you always start with the amount of flour and adjust all other ingredients from there.

10" 180
12" 260
14" 350
15" 405
16" 460

Pat Esposito

#1687 Post by Pat Esposito »

Billy Evans wrote: July 14th, 2021, 2:37 pm This will be tldr for many, but...

I've been making NY style pizza for a year or so now. Using the recipe from the Dough Doctor (Tom Lehmman) on the Pizzamaking forum, and cook it on a thick (1" thick) cordite (sp??) stone that I heat in my oven for 1.5+ hours at 525 convection bake. A pie will cook in about 4 minutes on this stone/temp without using the broiler, and I typically turn the pie once at the 2:15 mark.

The recipe, to get that slightly chewy NY thin crust, uses All Trumps flour (bromated preferably), which is very popular among the NY pizza and bagel shops. I think you can only get it in 25lb bags unless you buy from a place that repackages in smaller bags. I use Caputo's blue tipo 00 flour when cooking high temp on the Ooni, but for the oven and NY style pizza use All Trumps.

I created a pizza calculator in Excel for this, but using baker's math this is the recipe. All measured by weight. The percentages listed are in relation to flour. So, if you start with 214 grams of flour, then you add 126 grams of water (59%), 3.8 grams of salt (1.75%), etc.

100% - All Trumps flour
59% - water (from cold water tap, not cold or warm, if your tap water is very cold in winter, then you might want to let it get to room temp)
1.75% - salt
2% - sugar
.375% - Instant Dry Yeast (I use SAF IDY)
2% - olive oil

I put the stand mixer bowl on a scale and first add water, salt and sugar to the stand mixer bowl. Then add flour and yeast, and put the bowl on the stand mixer and mix. Once all the dry flour is gone/incorporated, but BEFORE it forms a cohesive ball, add the olive oil (the oil helps the crust pick up flavors from the toppings and baking process and the sugar aids browning in lower temp home ovens). Lehmann claims the timing of adding the oil in this way gives the best results, but I can't remember why.

A couple keys to that NY thin, slightly chewy crust is using cold/room temperature water and a long proof in the fridge and using All Trumps flour (if not available, something like King Arthur bread flour -- something in similar protein range to All Trumps). Mixing about 8-10 minutes in stand mixer, don't bother with anything like a window test, since the gluten development happens in the fridge via chemical, rather than mechanical, means. You want it to proof in the fridge for minimum 24 hours, up to 72 hours. I find around 48 hours to be the sweet spot. Take the dough out about 4 hours before you are ready to make the pie and let it warm up and do the final proof at room temp.

Don't roll it, hand stretch it (great youtube videos showing many techniques).

I usually make enough dough for pies I'm going to make (usually for the weekend) and then enough to freeze. For the frozen ones, I make the dough balls, put them on parchment/wax paper on a sheet pan and slightly flatten them and then put some olive oil on them to prevent them drying out and then put in the freezer for 3-4 hours. Then, take them out and put them in freezer ziplocks, or if you have a food saver, that's preferable. I store them in the freezer, and then taken them out 48-72 hours before I'm going to use them and let them defrost and then start proofing in the fridge.

For the dough going straight in the fridge (not freezing), make into individual dough balls, put a little olive or vegetable oil on them to keep from drying out, and then for first 90-120 minutes, keep the container lid partially cracked, so as they cool down the water vapor will escape and not condensate in the container, and then cover the container with the dough balls.

To get NY style thin crust, you need to use a formula to figure out dough ball size.

Most recommend a thickness factor between .07-.09 for NY crust, and I use .08. Thickness factor is essentially the amount of dough in ounces per square inch, I believe. The formula is (Diameter in inches x .5)squared x PI x thickness factor. Or, for a 14" pie, the excel formula would be: =(10*0.5)^2*3.14*0.08 which equals 6.28 oz or 178 grams.

If interested in shooting for that NY pizza thin crust, but you don't want to mess with the formula, here are some common sizes and doughball in grams rounded up or down to a nearest 5 grams. Once you know how many pizzas you want to make at a given size, you can do the math using the bakers match recipe. As a short cut for baker's math, if using the recipe above, if you know how many total grams you need, like say 350 grams for a single 14" pizza, then you can multiple 350 grams by .615, and that will give you the amount of flour you need to start with (214 grams in this case), because in bakers math you always start with the amount of flour and adjust all other ingredients from there.

10" 180
12" 260
14" 350
15" 405
16" 460
Great read, I'm curious now about the sauce and cheese that you use? If you have recipe for the sauce to share that would be great, and also brand/blend of cheese. TIA

Billy Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1688 Post by Billy Evans »

Pat Esposito wrote: July 15th, 2021, 11:40 am
Great read, I'm curious now about the sauce and cheese that you use? If you have recipe for the sauce to share that would be great, and also brand/blend of cheese. TIA
It was so long, I didn't want to get into sauce.

On cheese, unfortunately, I have an allergy to milk protein, so I'm relegated to vegan or goat cheeses.

For my wife and family, I've been using either whole milk, low moisture (what most NY pizzerias use) or part skim. Due to the lower oven temps used, both at home and pizzerias using electric ovens or others that only go up to 600* or so, the low moisture is what's recommended. So, that's what I've been doing.

When I make a pizza in my ooni, I sometimes use regular mozzarella (for my wife) or chevre for me or expand further with variety than when I'm making NY style.

For the sauce, is crazy as this sounds and I wasn't doing at first, I've moved to a very simple sauce, which from what I've read on https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum (great source for all things Pizza), most NY area pizza shops are pretty minimalistic with their sauces. Based on all I've read, this is the sauce I've moved to:

28 oz of ground tomatoes
4 TBS of olive oil
1.5 TBS of oregano ( also give a sprinkle of oregano when making the pie)

Put in a vitamix and pulse until well combined, but still with a little chunk left. Needs to sit in the fridge for at least 24 hours. I've read you have to include the oil, because if you add spices (oregano or other) with only tomatoes, then you will pick up nearly none of the flavor, as the flavors in the spices are oils and need oils (olive oil) to carry it.

The theory is that the sauce on it's own is bland, but when combined with the other flavors, just fits. I was skeptical, but I had been using a similar sauce for Sicilian (no oregano, and a little less olive oil, and then add garlic and basil), which is amazing on the pizza, even if a little plain on its own. Since the Sicilian was so good, I tried the "simple" NY style sauce and made pies for family and friends and they thought the sauce tasted great. Very counter intuitive.

Billy Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1689 Post by Billy Evans »

Not the best pictures, but I don't have many pictures (I'm always making them, so not taking pictures).

These first two are 14" pies. I don't cook on that pizza pan, I just use it to cut the slices. I think I threw some fresh basil on that second one, which is the green that shows up. Normally I just put sauce, oregano and cheese.

This one is more like a 10" and I really tried to preserve the air in the crust to get more puff than I normally do for my larger pies.

Billy Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1690 Post by Billy Evans »

Pat Esposito wrote: July 12th, 2021, 7:32 am Still working on the heat of my Ooni but starting to like the results coming out. Three different cheeses plus fresh oregano from the garden
Not sure what kind of flour you are using, but the Caputos tipo 00 in the blue bag makes a world of difference. The red bag is formulated for home over temps (~500* or so), where the blue bag is formulated for high heat, Neapolitan pizzarias. As such, I think it only comes in either 25 or 50 pound bags, unless you buy from someone that repackages. If you get on Amazon, I think anything under 50lbs will be a repack. Where the full 50lb bag I think goes for $40 or so.

Where many regular flours can flare up or over char in the Ooni, the Caputo blue won't. You will get a char, but it's more the speckled variety.

The other thing I've found is turn early and often. I put it in, wait about 20 seconds or so for the crust to set up, and then turn it 180 degrees, then after 15 seconds, turn it 90 degrees, and then after 15 seconds, another 180 degrees, so that at that point, all sides have had their time against the back burner (I have the smaller ooni koda with only a gas burner on the back. At that point I play it by ear, but it's usually done at 60-70 seconds or so.

I've tried a couple different turn methods, and for a while was trying to use a small round turning peel, but in reality, the best/safest method (for quick turn) is to pull it out with the peel, spin it with your hands or something like a Cuisinart pizza spinners, and then dump it back in.

Here are the pizza spinners. I love these. When cooking my NY pies in the oven, at the 2:00 minute mark I open, and spin them 180 with one of these. In the ooni, I pull the pie partially out with a peel and then use this to turn it without burning my fingers.

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1691 Post by Jim Stewart »

Getting back in pizza-making ‘shape’. Moving away from the Detroit style tonight with two twelve inch thin crusts. One with roasted garlic chopped fresh rosemary and sea salt topped with Tilamook shredded Italian cheese and the other tomato sauced with roasted sweet peppers and just a touch of cheese. The dough was 50/50 all-purpose flour and Caputo ‘00’ red.

691483C5-21F8-47EF-AD3C-42C87AB92F5E.jpeg
EB32DFF9-DDA7-47D6-AF66-84DF1E7525DC.jpeg
ain’t got the do re mi
-Woody Guthrie

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1692 Post by mike pobega »

Looks awesome, Jim.

My latest and most consistent 'tomato sauce' and closest what I have had in Naples Italy is this below. Just a bit of salt, a splash of water (4 minute cook time, more if longer) and tiny amount of dried oregano (optional) and I am in business. Keep in mind if my favorite Da Michele does not follow strict Associazione Vera Pizza Napoletana regulations, neither will I. I keep no less than 20 of these on hand. They are not too big.

Billy Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1693 Post by Billy Evans »

mike pobega wrote: July 18th, 2021, 8:13 am Looks awesome, Jim.

My latest and most consistent 'tomato sauce' and closest what I have had in Naples Italy is this below. Just a bit of salt, a splash of water (4 minute cook time, more if longer) and tiny amount of dried oregano (optional) and I am in business. Keep in mind if my favorite Da Michele does not follow strict Associazione Vera Pizza Napoletana regulations, neither will I. I keep no less than 20 of these on hand. They are not too big.
That looks good. I've only done one evening of Neapolitan in my Ooni in the last few months, have been doing NY thin style and a few Sicilian over the last few months. Seeing these pics, I think I'll break the Ooni out next weekend.

Since I can't do cow dairy, I typically use Chevre on mine as I have no source of fresh goat Mozzarella. I'm guessing you used some dollops of fresh mozzarella.

Out of curiosity, what flour and oven are you using? Is that a big brick oven or a smaller gas/fire unit? Your pics show some of the best crust I've seen posted on various forums in terms of uniform brown with just a bit of char. You clearly have it down.

Where do you source those tomatoes?

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1694 Post by mike pobega »

Thanks, Billy.
I am using fresh locally sourced mozzarella with great pull apart qualities, not so Calabrian milk-like. Maybe semi-wet.
I use my gas oven on highest tack with a stone and broiler pre-heat. I get to 675 on stone with patience.
I use entirely (now) Caputo Americana with a 10% Caputo Criscito dried mother yeast blended in. It works for me.
Those tomatoes are from Supermarket Italy.com
$4.99 a jar. I buy a dozen at a time. LOVE them

I just made these pies moments ago.
One (72 hour old dough) has just sautéed mushrooms and the other (6 day old) has sweet sausage, broccoli-rabe and slices of just pulled from vine habanero peppers. 4.5 minutes and raw sausage was cooked perfectly.

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1695 Post by Jim Stewart »

Good stuff, Mike and Billy!
ain’t got the do re mi
-Woody Guthrie

Bryce K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1696 Post by Bryce K »

Last night's creations:
IMG_2615.jpg
IMG_2616.jpg
IMG_2617.jpg
Senor Kaufman

Billy Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1697 Post by Billy Evans »

My father tried a calzone at a local, Neapolitan pizza place and wasn't impressed, so trying my hand at making calzones tonight for my wife and I and if I think it's good, will make him a calzone next week.

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1698 Post by Jim Stewart »

Mike, how long do you cold ferment the dough for your pizza? I am usually doing about one day now, but experimented last week with two days. With the longer ferment I think the crust was crisper on the outside and the flavor at least as good maybe better than the one day ferment.
ain’t got the do re mi
-Woody Guthrie

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1699 Post by mike pobega »

Jim Stewart wrote: July 29th, 2021, 12:56 pm
Mike, how long do you cold ferment the dough for your pizza? I am usually doing about one day now, but experimented last week with two days. With the longer ferment I think the crust was crisper on the outside and the flavor at least as good maybe better than the one day ferment.
The latest dough is 1 to 5 days optimum.

Pat Esposito

#1700 Post by Pat Esposito »

Billy Evans wrote: July 15th, 2021, 1:26 pm
Pat Esposito wrote: July 15th, 2021, 11:40 am
It was so long, I didn't want to get into sauce.

On cheese, unfortunately, I have an allergy to milk protein, so I'm relegated to vegan or goat cheeses.

For my wife and family, I've been using either whole milk, low moisture (what most NY pizzerias use) or part skim. Due to the lower oven temps used, both at home and pizzerias using electric ovens or others that only go up to 600* or so, the low moisture is what's recommended. So, that's what I've been doing.

When I make a pizza in my ooni, I sometimes use regular mozzarella (for my wife) or chevre for me or expand further with variety than when I'm making NY style.

For the sauce, is crazy as this sounds and I wasn't doing at first, I've moved to a very simple sauce, which from what I've read on https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum (great source for all things Pizza), most NY area pizza shops are pretty minimalistic with their sauces. Based on all I've read, this is the sauce I've moved to:

28 oz of ground tomatoes
4 TBS of olive oil
1.5 TBS of oregano ( also give a sprinkle of oregano when making the pie)

Put in a vitamix and pulse until well combined, but still with a little chunk left. Needs to sit in the fridge for at least 24 hours. I've read you have to include the oil, because if you add spices (oregano or other) with only tomatoes, then you will pick up nearly none of the flavor, as the flavors in the spices are oils and need oils (olive oil) to carry it.

The theory is that the sauce on it's own is bland, but when combined with the other flavors, just fits. I was skeptical, but I had been using a similar sauce for Sicilian (no oregano, and a little less olive oil, and then add garlic and basil), which is amazing on the pizza, even if a little plain on its own. Since the Sicilian was so good, I tried the "simple" NY style sauce and made pies for family and friends and they thought the sauce tasted great. Very counter intuitive.
Billy, going to make some pies this weekend. On your sauce recipe above, I'm assuming the 1.5 TBS of oregano is dried and not fresh? TIA

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”