New York in March, help with a nice restaurant.

We’re headed to NYC in March and I need a little advice. We try to do one really nice meal, everything else we try is street food, gastropubs, pizza, small stuff generally.

This trip I have a few spots I’m eyeing
Babbo
Alto
Peter Luger’s
Marea
11 Madison
Gramercy Tavern

The top two have most of my interest, the others are places we’ve wanted to go but just haven’t made yet. Is there a reason Babbo is better than Alto, or vice versa? I’m open to any off-the-cuff recommendations as well.

I wouldn’t overlook The Modern, unless you’ve already checked that off your list. We had a fantastic meal there in December.

Marea seems to be the buzz on this board recently. If you search, you’ll find the thread.

Luger’s is a New York experience. Cash only.

Gramercy Tavern won’t disappoint. Very pretty place. My wife likes it.

You’ve compiled a very nice list of restaurants - I haven’t been to Luger’s, but the others are some of my top choices.

Marea has had a shake up in their empire, so I’m hesitant to recommend it at this time. I’ve had 3 good meals - the last one in June - but the menu has some disappointments. I stick to the crudo and pastas for the best dishes.

Eleven Madison Park and Alto are both outstanding, and I would choose one of those over your other picks.

11 Mad in a heartbeat. Always an extraordinary experience.

Modern is great. Convivio is fabulous and a great value. Recipe UWS is also great.

When was the last time you were at Convivio? I had a terrible experience there in November, and when I told some people about it, they said they had moved it off their go-to list as well. Guess it used to be great, but not even average the night I was there, sadly.

I am a fan of Gramercy Tavern.

I vote for Babbo. Killer negroni’s in the bar, mature barolo by the glass and Italian comfort food. What’s not to like?

Alto and Convivio both have new chefs coming in. I would go with 11 mad or marea.

I’ve been there a number of times since the “shake up” including twice this past week. There is no need to be hesitant as the kitchen is unchanged and the front of the restaurant is smoother than ever.

I’m very happy to hear that.

You should rent a room there. How’s the menu fixed for mammals?

Considering I will be there again on Saturday and Tuesday, I think it might make some sense.

I have been told by many that the Fusilli w/ Octopus and Bone Marrow is incredible. I also hear the 50 day Sirloin is quite good too.

I’m going to try to get a table for Babbo for a Saturday night since it’s my first choice. Their wine list is very fairly priced, but also very young.

Totally agree. They’re as good as ever.

I’d pick Marea (NYT 3 star) or EMP (NYT 4 star) over the others.

At Marea, the pasta with octopus and marrow is my FAV!

+1

It’s an INSANELY good dish, in fact I ordered twice in a row during one dinner. I just wanted to dive into the bowl and swim with the octopus and smear the marrow all over. Sorry, but it’s true. It’s that good.

+2
i also had it twice in one day, but it was lunch and then dinner. it is indeed that good.

EMP or Marea. The former if you’re seeking “high end”, elaborate, creative French style cuisine, impeccable yet friendly service, and a grand setting; the latter if you’re looking for a cool place with buzz and the most fun one can have with truly delicious, seafood oriented Italian food in NYC these days. I would also strongly recommend Del Posto if you’re in the mood for Italian–highly creative cuisine in a more formal setting and with more formal service than Marea. All three of these choices are in my opinion superior to the others on your list, specifically including Babbo.

I have had nothing but great experiences at Alto and Babbo. Can’t recommend them highly enough. My first choice would be Alto, just don’t do the over the top tasting menu. Too long of a meal, and not as good as their regular price fixe menu.

If you love Sushi, NYC has some of the best Sushi restaurants in the USA.