Steak Porn

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Message
Author
AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 21501
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 4:05 pm
Location: Mwaukee, 'sconsin

Re: Steak Porn

#1951 Post by AlexS » August 23rd, 2019, 7:12 pm

So lava seems to suck for cooking a steak???

...

That said, lava is soooooooo effing awesome.
s t e w @ r t

Sean Devaney
Posts: 3305
Joined: June 25th, 2009, 5:11 pm

Re: Steak Porn

#1952 Post by Sean Devaney » August 24th, 2019, 8:52 am

Two observations.
How did they heat the lava? Gas? Coal? "harvest" it?
Who ever wrote the commentary on the video doesn't know a rib-eye from a porterhouse.

User avatar
Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 30360
Joined: October 17th, 2013, 11:25 am
Location: Chico, CA

Re: Steak Porn

#1953 Post by Anton D » August 24th, 2019, 2:46 pm

Sean Devaney wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 8:52 am
Two observations.
How did they heat the lava? Gas? Coal? "harvest" it?
After it's been plugged in for 45 minutes, they break the top off the lamp.

Lava production facility....

Image
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

User avatar
ERPark
Posts: 3050
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 6:48 am

Re: Steak Porn

#1954 Post by ERPark » August 24th, 2019, 10:13 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
August 22nd, 2019, 2:34 pm
K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
August 22nd, 2019, 1:46 pm
According to the LA Times, Costco will no longer sell ribeye cap steaks:

https://www.latimes.com/food/story/2019 ... -caps-meat
Well don’t go telling him about Flannery. Those are hard enough to get.
Two Costcos I went to today didn’t get the memo. I’m guessing that this is an edict for Costco locations whose clienteles don’t buy this cut frequently enough to prevent stock from sitting around and hitting its Sell By date........

7FB2CFA0-6F1D-4D49-94F9-2308C7707DC5.jpeg
GEN3

User avatar
Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4797
Joined: November 22nd, 2015, 9:03 am
Location: Sunny South Florida

Re: Steak Porn

#1955 Post by Ken Strauss » August 26th, 2019, 8:31 am

Costco long bone prime ribeye.
Attachments
3A049A29-0A1D-47DC-B2C8-01E056F4FE0C.jpeg
"Explaining is not supporting."

"Independence is a state of mind"

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4383
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: Steak Porn

#1956 Post by Andrew Kotowski » August 30th, 2019, 8:14 pm

2” Flannery dry-aged rib-eye. As you can tell, I got a little impatient with the reverse-sear, but we enjoy it rare in the center, so it works :)
Attachments
1C92F9AA-E2C7-4C0D-8AC7-674C7E051CEF.jpeg
509109CF-914A-451C-B293-1EEBF7A88EE6.jpeg
15B7AD07-0F7F-4985-8FA3-8D04A079A1F6.jpeg
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

Alex N
Posts: 150
Joined: December 3rd, 2018, 1:57 pm

Re: Steak Porn

#1957 Post by Alex N » August 30th, 2019, 9:30 pm

Fess Parker wagyu NY strip, salted a few hours before and 1 good size chunk of fruit wood on the coals gave it a light sweet smoky flavor. On the Weber @ 250 indirect heat until it was 125 and then seared off. Really loving quality strips and ribeyes with only salt. No herbs, pepper, no butter and garlic basting. Salt and a little smoke with a good crust is my current favorite.
nystrip.jpg
@13x N1ch•!z

P Turk
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 103
Joined: May 28th, 2016, 5:47 pm
Location: Chicagoland

Re: Steak Porn

#1958 Post by P Turk » September 2nd, 2019, 5:31 pm

Another awesome Flannery ribeye on the Weber, and the Peirson Meyer “Right Bank” blend was fantastic, too.
Attachments
9A3932A7-82CC-43A9-8671-B34F30D6FB1B.jpeg
Phil

Milton Hudson
Posts: 1204
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 1:44 pm
Location: Mobile, AL US of A

Re: Steak Porn

#1959 Post by Milton Hudson » September 3rd, 2019, 5:52 am

ERPark wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 10:13 pm
Brian Tuite wrote:
August 22nd, 2019, 2:34 pm
K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
August 22nd, 2019, 1:46 pm
According to the LA Times, Costco will no longer sell ribeye cap steaks:

https://www.latimes.com/food/story/2019 ... -caps-meat
Well don’t go telling him about Flannery. Those are hard enough to get.
Two Costcos I went to today didn’t get the memo. I’m guessing that this is an edict for Costco locations whose clienteles don’t buy this cut frequently enough to prevent stock from sitting around and hitting its Sell By date........


7FB2CFA0-6F1D-4D49-94F9-2308C7707DC5.jpeg
Hopefully the memo never makes it here. I am friends with the Costco cutter, so he will probably make these for me anyway. I buy several packages and vacuum bag. Also this allows me to cull through the "eye" portions for the most marbled.

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4383
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: Steak Porn

#1960 Post by Andrew Kotowski » September 8th, 2019, 8:26 pm

Flannery hangers with chimichurri. Recipe (and notes/pics) in my sig line.
Attachments
50DA2652-47AA-4914-BCA2-27EF83310D9B.jpeg
75DA6EDA-D231-4732-9F3D-FCEB3D1362B6.jpeg
35F05747-D982-4F97-BC27-296A0E3FBDB8.jpeg
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1236
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: Steak Porn

#1961 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » September 10th, 2019, 6:40 am

Milton Hudson wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 5:52 am
ERPark wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 10:13 pm
Brian Tuite wrote:
August 22nd, 2019, 2:34 pm


Well don’t go telling him about Flannery. Those are hard enough to get.
Two Costcos I went to today didn’t get the memo. I’m guessing that this is an edict for Costco locations whose clienteles don’t buy this cut frequently enough to prevent stock from sitting around and hitting its Sell By date........


7FB2CFA0-6F1D-4D49-94F9-2308C7707DC5.jpeg
Hopefully the memo never makes it here. I am friends with the Costco cutter, so he will probably make these for me anyway. I buy several packages and vacuum bag. Also this allows me to cull through the "eye" portions for the most marbled.
No sign of them here anymore.
Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

User avatar
stevetimko
Posts: 1465
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:42 am
Location: Nevada

Re: Steak Porn

#1962 Post by stevetimko » September 11th, 2019, 9:54 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
September 11th, 2018, 8:37 pm
K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
September 11th, 2018, 5:25 pm
Interesting video comparing the taste of steaks from 28 month, 8 year and 15 year old animals:

https://www.eater.com/2018/9/11/1784274 ... rhook-farm
Thanks for posting. I'm a huge believer in this after plowing through quite a bit of Galician beef after watching Steak (r)Evolution on Netflix. Just amazing stuff and worth the extra tariff.
I just saw this and came to the board to post about it. Is the consensus that older cows are more tender or better beef? Because that's not true with game like deer or elk. These are usually cows, too. Probably after they're through giving milk. No reason to keep steers around that long.
Those guys also made bolgona out of dry-age steak.
Illegitimati non carborundum

User avatar
CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 23998
Joined: December 3rd, 2011, 6:33 am
Location: Ovilla\Midlothian Texas

Re: Steak Porn

#1963 Post by CJ Beazley » September 13th, 2019, 6:50 am

Going all the way back to post #1319-I listened to the Grape Radio podcast with Brian Flannery, wow it’s excellent. Highly reco’d
It's C(raig)

User avatar
CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 23998
Joined: December 3rd, 2011, 6:33 am
Location: Ovilla\Midlothian Texas

Re: Steak Porn

#1964 Post by CJ Beazley » September 13th, 2019, 6:56 am

stevetimko wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 9:54 pm
Andrew Kotowski wrote:
September 11th, 2018, 8:37 pm
K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
September 11th, 2018, 5:25 pm
Interesting video comparing the taste of steaks from 28 month, 8 year and 15 year old animals:

https://www.eater.com/2018/9/11/1784274 ... rhook-farm
Thanks for posting. I'm a huge believer in this after plowing through quite a bit of Galician beef after watching Steak (r)Evolution on Netflix. Just amazing stuff and worth the extra tariff.
I just saw this and came to the board to post about it. Is the consensus that older cows are more tender or better beef? Because that's not true with game like deer or elk. These are usually cows, too. Probably after they're through giving milk. No reason to keep steers around that long.
Those guys also made bolgona out of dry-age steak.
Steve, as an old country boy my take is 1) cows continue to accumulate fat throughout their lives, so marbling increases with age. 2) in my opinion based on when we killed steers (young) or occasionally older cows that were no longer of breeding age (during hard times) they had a marked increase in ‘beef/y flavor’. 3) with regards to tenderness, the tender cuts (loin) were of the same tenderness. Some of the lesser cuts might have been a little tougher I suppose but since those require long slow cooking times anyway I could never tell a difference.
Also, and this ties into the Flannery podcast, the fat on our cows was dark beige to yellow and squishy/liquidy, nothing we ever killed had pure white hard fat.
It's C(raig)

User avatar
stevetimko
Posts: 1465
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:42 am
Location: Nevada

Re: Steak Porn

#1965 Post by stevetimko » September 13th, 2019, 5:59 pm

Thanks, all. I'll have to check out the Grape Radio podcast.
I called the two best butcher shops in this area and neither carries beef from older cows. It may be the only way to get it here is to buy a quarter or half beef direct from a rancher.
Illegitimati non carborundum

saul_cooperstein
Posts: 96
Joined: February 9th, 2017, 12:05 pm

Re: Steak Porn

#1966 Post by saul_cooperstein » September 14th, 2019, 2:45 am

A5 wagyu, 176 days dry age
Delicious. Age really nice with big porcini mushroom profile. No off flavors.
Attachments
CFED0B4B-399E-430B-8D21-5D229FF710A9.jpeg

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19162
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA

Re: Steak Porn

#1967 Post by Brian Tuite » September 14th, 2019, 6:11 am

Snak River Farms Rib Eyes. I cut the cap off one and made a medallion since my Wife won’t finish even the trimmed steak. 4 alternating minutes over direct fire, 4 minutes indirect, 5 minutes rest.

Image
Image
Image
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

User avatar
Mike Davila
Posts: 430
Joined: August 22nd, 2010, 1:47 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Steak Porn

#1968 Post by Mike Davila » September 14th, 2019, 9:58 am

F1BC7404-881A-436F-A79B-8E29A769BC20.jpeg
F1BC7404-881A-436F-A79B-8E29A769BC20.jpeg (19.19 KiB) Viewed 2019 times
664AF03B-0B8E-4A67-A6E3-67701BC9C1C0.jpeg
664AF03B-0B8E-4A67-A6E3-67701BC9C1C0.jpeg (19.6 KiB) Viewed 2019 times
B34D4828-7708-4AE1-9E39-2721C0F9BECB.jpeg
B34D4828-7708-4AE1-9E39-2721C0F9BECB.jpeg (27.51 KiB) Viewed 2019 times
2B9ED57B-1F5B-4AD1-8C41-2119420BD5D8.jpeg
2B9ED57B-1F5B-4AD1-8C41-2119420BD5D8.jpeg (22.97 KiB) Viewed 2019 times
Local longtime steakhouse opened a retail store, picked up a 45 day dry aged 22 oz bone-in ribeye, really flavorful. Direct sear over oak in the wood fired oven then finished over low heat on the gas grill.

User avatar
Mark.Ricca
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3218
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:43 pm
Location: Central NJ got central heating and I'm alright...

Re: Steak Porn

#1969 Post by Mark.Ricca » September 14th, 2019, 12:50 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 8:26 pm
Flannery hangers with chimichurri. Recipe (and notes/pics) in my sig line.
Just got me a few of those.
Guess I know what dinner is tomorrow night.
ITB
"Bacon would improve the flavor of an angel"
"Outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
"We're a lot like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but the people who like licorice, really like licorice."

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4383
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: Steak Porn

#1970 Post by Andrew Kotowski » October 1st, 2019, 10:56 pm

Crushed three hanger packs with my former team (leads from PT, UK, ES, NL, MX)
Attachments
C386316E-AC05-4CA2-8824-E59820D5E8B5.jpeg
8B2B5BB8-A409-42F9-AD26-2DB7FDC0CBF2.jpeg
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

User avatar
Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8804
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 2:55 am
Location: in between coastal SC and south FL

Re: Steak Porn

#1971 Post by Scott Brunson » October 5th, 2019, 9:49 am

Image
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 21501
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 4:05 pm
Location: Mwaukee, 'sconsin

Re: Steak Porn

#1972 Post by AlexS » October 6th, 2019, 8:04 am

I think you might have seared it too much.
s t e w @ r t

P Turk
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 103
Joined: May 28th, 2016, 5:47 pm
Location: Chicagoland

Re: Steak Porn

#1973 Post by P Turk » October 6th, 2019, 5:27 pm

Flannery ribeye is absolutely my favorite on the Weber ... accompanied by a good cab, too.
Attachments
580C9DCF-2C57-4532-A60A-FD7E16BF3633.jpeg
Phil

User avatar
Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 5808
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 7:00 pm
Location: Naperville, IL

Re: Steak Porn

#1974 Post by Chris Freemott » October 6th, 2019, 8:32 pm

And a sexy decanter.

:)

P Turk
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 103
Joined: May 28th, 2016, 5:47 pm
Location: Chicagoland

Re: Steak Porn

#1975 Post by P Turk » October 7th, 2019, 4:59 pm

Chris Freemott wrote:
October 6th, 2019, 8:32 pm
And a sexy decanter.

:)
Yes, the Grassl decanter is great, too.
Phil

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4383
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: Steak Porn

#1976 Post by Andrew Kotowski » October 7th, 2019, 7:31 pm

Steak.
Attachments
93D59963-367D-4743-8309-8E1E7A9C975E.jpeg
1ED2437D-6533-4D97-AE16-488E881A6B88.jpeg
D21AB814-72C2-437E-945B-B41002B84CBD.jpeg
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4118
Joined: March 6th, 2010, 1:47 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Steak Porn

#1977 Post by Michae1 P0wers » October 11th, 2019, 7:51 am

Anyone have experience with Mishima Reserve American Wagyu? I have a 20 oz. Ribeye, and curious about cooking temp. I like my steak quite rare but have no experience with cooking Wagyu. Thinking I'll reverse sear.

User avatar
jordan whitehead
Posts: 4426
Joined: February 12th, 2009, 4:59 pm
Location: Northbrook, IL

Re: Steak Porn

#1978 Post by jordan whitehead » October 11th, 2019, 8:08 pm

Michae1 P0wers wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 7:51 am
Anyone have experience with Mishima Reserve American Wagyu? I have a 20 oz. Ribeye, and curious about cooking temp. I like my steak quite rare but have no experience with cooking Wagyu. Thinking I'll reverse sear.
closer to medium so most of the fat melts
www.annaswish.org

P Turk
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 103
Joined: May 28th, 2016, 5:47 pm
Location: Chicagoland

Re: Steak Porn

#1979 Post by P Turk » October 20th, 2019, 5:14 pm

Perfect fall day in Chicagoland... bike ride and Scorched Earth beers, awesome Flannery ribeye on the Weber, and a Once and Future PS in the Grassl.
Attachments
42755E43-6589-4089-B334-8D94AF7C827B.jpeg
Phil

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4383
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: Steak Porn

#1980 Post by Andrew Kotowski » October 20th, 2019, 5:26 pm

That sear looks great!
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

User avatar
Joe B
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 9062
Joined: October 28th, 2012, 2:40 pm
Location: North Burbs Chicago Illinois

Re: Steak Porn

#1981 Post by Joe B » October 20th, 2019, 5:43 pm

A5 wagyu at Morimotos in Oahu.
2ECF8F58-B4C9-435A-AE9C-73AF583DD3AD.jpeg
J W@ll @ce

User avatar
ERPark
Posts: 3050
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 6:48 am

Re: Steak Porn

#1982 Post by ERPark » October 20th, 2019, 7:35 pm

So a couple of Costcos in the area have what I consider to be the great bargain in the meat world - - - vacuum sealed Prime grade boneless short ribs for $7.59/lb. Will smoke at 135 degrees for 90 mins to 2 hours depending on thickness, then flash sear on a cast iron to finish = beefy greatness......



A997466A-9CE0-4E1D-B32A-7979B67D2CC2.jpeg
GEN3

User avatar
Cameron Hughes
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 484
Joined: January 8th, 2010, 12:51 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: Steak Porn

#1983 Post by Cameron Hughes » October 22nd, 2019, 9:55 am

Michae1 P0wers wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 7:51 am
Anyone have experience with Mishima Reserve American Wagyu? I have a 20 oz. Ribeye, and curious about cooking temp. I like my steak quite rare but have no experience with cooking Wagyu. Thinking I'll reverse sear.
Hi Michael - late response here but reverse sear should work great. The Mishima Reserve product is fantastic...I recently had their flatiron steak whilst up at Starks in Santa Rosa. Bliss.An 8oz steak on the grill is about as easy as it gets too...best, Cameron

User avatar
Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1985
Joined: June 8th, 2014, 7:45 am
Location: London

Re: Steak Porn

#1984 Post by Jason T » October 23rd, 2019, 7:20 am

P Turk wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 5:14 pm
Perfect fall day in Chicagoland... bike ride and Scorched Earth beers, awesome Flannery ribeye on the Weber, and a Once and Future PS in the Grassl.
As a former a Chicagoan and current O&F customer, that sounds like a FANTASTIC day. And the cap on that steak is HUGE!!!
J@son Tr@ughber

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 761
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 1:13 pm

Re: Steak Porn

#1985 Post by Joe Chanley » October 24th, 2019, 12:48 pm

0E7EDB04-728C-47BF-ABAF-4903CA64EA46.jpeg
Nice little deal at shoprite

User avatar
jordan whitehead
Posts: 4426
Joined: February 12th, 2009, 4:59 pm
Location: Northbrook, IL

Re: Steak Porn

#1986 Post by jordan whitehead » October 24th, 2019, 2:03 pm

ERPark wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 7:35 pm
So a couple of Costcos in the area have what I consider to be the great bargain in the meat world - - - vacuum sealed Prime grade boneless short ribs for $7.59/lb. Will smoke at 135 degrees for 90 mins to 2 hours depending on thickness, then flash sear on a cast iron to finish = beefy greatness......




A997466A-9CE0-4E1D-B32A-7979B67D2CC2.jpeg
have gotten prime niman ranch at whole foods a couple of times at 5.99. I don't think they differentiate between the prime ones and choice as the last one I bought on sale were choice. Starting to prefer choice beef ribs as the prime is too rich for me and I can only eat a few bites
www.annaswish.org

User avatar
Rob_S
Posts: 937
Joined: November 16th, 2015, 5:05 pm

Re: Steak Porn

#1987 Post by Rob_S » October 24th, 2019, 3:59 pm

utherland

User avatar
Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4540
Joined: February 1st, 2009, 6:25 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Steak Porn

#1988 Post by Kris Patten » October 25th, 2019, 2:43 pm

ERPark wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 7:35 pm
So a couple of Costcos in the area have what I consider to be the great bargain in the meat world - - - vacuum sealed Prime grade boneless short ribs for $7.59/lb. Will smoke at 135 degrees for 90 mins to 2 hours depending on thickness, then flash sear on a cast iron to finish = beefy greatness......




A997466A-9CE0-4E1D-B32A-7979B67D2CC2.jpeg
Please post pics.
ITB

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4383
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: Steak Porn

#1989 Post by Andrew Kotowski » November 4th, 2019, 7:35 pm

Had some fun grilling some skirt steaks last night. Red-hot fire, enjoyed the pics below.
Attachments
A4C1900B-34F9-43C8-93D5-B954C16F2EE5.jpeg
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

J0seph S c h e n c k
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 232
Joined: August 9th, 2011, 12:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Steak Porn

#1990 Post by J0seph S c h e n c k » November 4th, 2019, 10:27 pm

ERPark wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 7:35 pm
So a couple of Costcos in the area have what I consider to be the great bargain in the meat world - - - vacuum sealed Prime grade boneless short ribs for $7.59/lb. Will smoke at 135 degrees for 90 mins to 2 hours depending on thickness, then flash sear on a cast iron to finish = beefy greatness......




A997466A-9CE0-4E1D-B32A-7979B67D2CC2.jpeg


Do you mean smoke TO 135 degrees internal temp? What wood do you like?

Am gonna do this this weekend. Thanks

User avatar
ERPark
Posts: 3050
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 6:48 am

Re: Steak Porn

#1991 Post by ERPark » November 4th, 2019, 10:45 pm

J0seph S c h e n c k wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 10:27 pm
ERPark wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 7:35 pm
So a couple of Costcos in the area have what I consider to be the great bargain in the meat world - - - vacuum sealed Prime grade boneless short ribs for $7.59/lb. Will smoke at 135 degrees for 90 mins to 2 hours depending on thickness, then flash sear on a cast iron to finish = beefy greatness......




A997466A-9CE0-4E1D-B32A-7979B67D2CC2.jpeg


Do you mean smoke TO 135 degrees internal temp? What wood do you like?

Am gonna do this this weekend. Thanks
I have a Traeger., and use their pellet mix from Costco. Leave it on there for 90 to 120 mins (depending on thickness) on the Smoke setting. Finish on a piping hot cast iron pan.

I’m not much of an internal temp checking kind of cook, unless it’s a larger piece like a packer brisket. With boneless short ribs, it’s pretty difficult to overcook if you do the low and slow method with them.

I’m planning to prepare and serve them this weekend, and will post pics.
GEN3

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19162
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA

Re: Steak Porn

#1992 Post by Brian Tuite » November 5th, 2019, 6:19 am

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 7:35 pm
Had some fun grilling some skirt steaks last night. Red-hot fire, enjoyed the pics below.
You know, if you leave the grill off and just lay those huys directly onnthe hot coals (assuming it’s hardwood) it gives you a great crusty sear while leaving the middle nice and med-rare. Try it sometime. 2-3 min per side is all it takes.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

J. Rock
Posts: 303
Joined: March 11th, 2019, 4:53 pm

Re: Steak Porn

#1993 Post by J. Rock » November 5th, 2019, 12:28 pm

I'm very fortunate to have a Argentinian man recently move in next to me. I was at a bbq at his place this weekend and he was making Entraña steak, which he said was the best cut (I later found out it's outside skirt steak [which I do love]). I tasted the steak and was honestly blown away. It was incredibly savory, juicy, and saucy. I asked what he marinated it in, and when he told me that he just put some kosher salt on it, I couldn't believe it. I found out that he cooked it with the entire membrane on, which I think traps all of the juices in.

I'm going to try to make it like he did, but not sure if I'll nail it right away.
J o r d a n

User avatar
stevetimko
Posts: 1465
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:42 am
Location: Nevada

Re: Steak Porn

#1994 Post by stevetimko » November 6th, 2019, 3:07 pm

J. Rock wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 12:28 pm
I'm very fortunate to have a Argentinian man recently move in next to me. I was at a bbq at his place this weekend and he was making Entraña steak, which he said was the best cut (I later found out it's outside skirt steak [which I do love]). I tasted the steak and was honestly blown away. It was incredibly savory, juicy, and saucy. I asked what he marinated it in, and when he told me that he just put some kosher salt on it, I couldn't believe it. I found out that he cooked it with the entire membrane on, which I think traps all of the juices in.

I'm going to try to make it like he did, but not sure if I'll nail it right away.
A lot of the Argentinian cooking I've seen is with indirect heat. Did he use indirect heat? Like the meat was off to the side instead of over the flames?
Illegitimati non carborundum

J. Rock
Posts: 303
Joined: March 11th, 2019, 4:53 pm

Re: Steak Porn

#1995 Post by J. Rock » November 6th, 2019, 4:15 pm

stevetimko wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 3:07 pm
J. Rock wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 12:28 pm
I'm very fortunate to have a Argentinian man recently move in next to me. I was at a bbq at his place this weekend and he was making Entraña steak, which he said was the best cut (I later found out it's outside skirt steak [which I do love]). I tasted the steak and was honestly blown away. It was incredibly savory, juicy, and saucy. I asked what he marinated it in, and when he told me that he just put some kosher salt on it, I couldn't believe it. I found out that he cooked it with the entire membrane on, which I think traps all of the juices in.

I'm going to try to make it like he did, but not sure if I'll nail it right away.
A lot of the Argentinian cooking I've seen is with indirect heat. Did he use indirect heat? Like the meat was off to the side instead of over the flames?
No, but the coals (which were pretty much all white [he waited quite awhile]) were farther down below the meat than what I'm used to (and the grill was not covered from what I saw). He also cooked the steak for longer than what I normally would (i.e., didn't merely sear it) and, from what I recall, the steak looked about medium or medium+ or so (although, it was dark, so I could be wrong). Soon, he's going to have a more traditional Argentinean grill with a rack that he can raise and lower, but he doesn't have that yet since he moved in just a few months ago.

Anyway, he doesn't speak completely fluent English, so it's a little hard for me to understand exactly what he does and why he does it, but I'll try to learn.
J o r d a n

Alex N
Posts: 150
Joined: December 3rd, 2018, 1:57 pm

Re: Steak Porn

#1996 Post by Alex N » November 6th, 2019, 4:32 pm

I made outside skirt this weekend and for the first time in a long time didn't do steak on the Weber. Wet soy brine, let it dry, then seared it in cast iron, and finished under the broiler. The flavor of that cut is amazing and it's becoming one of my favorite cuts along with hanger steal. Thin cuts like that I like to do directly over the flame, ribeyes, ny strips, etc I dry brine with just salt and like to reverse sear.
Lately I've been getting wagyu beef from these guys: https://www.fessparkerranch.com/s/shop
@13x N1ch•!z

J. Rock
Posts: 303
Joined: March 11th, 2019, 4:53 pm

Re: Steak Porn

#1997 Post by J. Rock » November 6th, 2019, 4:47 pm

Alex N wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 4:32 pm
I made outside skirt this weekend and for the first time in a long time didn't do steak on the Weber. Wet soy brine, let it dry, then seared it in cast iron, and finished under the broiler. The flavor of that cut is amazing and it's becoming one of my favorite cuts along with hanger steal. Thin cuts like that I like to do directly over the flame, ribeyes, ny strips, etc I dry brine with just salt and like to reverse sear.
Lately I've been getting wagyu beef from these guys: https://www.fessparkerranch.com/s/shop
Oh, wow, those steaks look fantastic, and I can pick them up in a couple weeks when I go to Los Olivos to pick up my Dragonette wines.

Thanks!
J o r d a n

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4383
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: Steak Porn

#1998 Post by Andrew Kotowski » November 6th, 2019, 7:01 pm

>> Soon, he's going to have a more traditional Argentinean grill with a rack that he can raise and lower

Santa Maria grill, god’s gift to tri-tip. Trying to decide if I want to try to build one in the backyard :)
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

User avatar
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6240
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Steak Porn

#1999 Post by Mark Golodetz » November 8th, 2019, 2:55 pm

Waygu rib cap medallions from Flannery.
Attachments
A6813F84-E297-4181-8645-EA523445229E.jpeg
ITB

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 21501
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 4:05 pm
Location: Mwaukee, 'sconsin

Re: Steak Porn

#2000 Post by AlexS » November 8th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Do you actually eat that or just stare at it and drool??
s t e w @ r t

Post Reply

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”