Flakey, light buttermilk biscuit recipe - Whose got one?

I’m going to look at my Gourmet and America’s Test Kichen cookbooks for ideas as well, but wondering if you have one that is tried and true.

One word: LARD

Indeed, that would make the best biscuit! But, rendering some piggy is not something I will be able to do on this occasion. Have to go with the butter option.

You seem to live in Los Angeles. Any good mexican grocery store should have a ready supply of lard.

Great idea, but at the markets near where I live the manteca is hydrogenated, yuck. If I have the time, I might drive across town to the better mercados.

Even here in the rural areas of MA the grocery stores sell lard. Check the dairy aisle next to the butter.

BTW: Lard is NOT Crisco ™. That is a poor substitute for the real thing.

Dan

That’s the packaged, hydrogenated stuff (Morrell’s and Armour) he’s trying to avoid. You can get that anywhere. However, Mexican groceries usually stock freshly-rendered lard or even leaf lard because of its use in making the masa for tamales - especially this time of year.

Not buttermilk but these look/sound amazing. Doing a test run this weekend and hopefully will work for Thanksgiving.

Colicchio & Sons' Parker House Rolls | Saveur" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Too bad the biscuit thread disappeared over at the other board. I do make the best biscuits (and cheese biscuits) in the world. The recipes for both are over there along with expert commentary from myself and Bob Fleming.

I’ll post the method later, but hopefully you can get Pioneer buttermilk biscuit mix and White Lily flour. If not readily available, then you’ll need to start looking…

A friend of mine just made one with duck fat. I’ll see if he has the recipe.

The most important part is to not over-work the dough, and a little lard helps too.

Kris

Milton,

Thanks, that would be great! I’m pretty sure the restaurant supply store that I go to has White Lily flour.

On another note, I ended up not making biscuits this weekend, but I did find two mercados nearby that sell real lard so that was good news!

[cheers.gif]

Brett

White Lily, to my knowledge and according to my friend who works for Smucker’s (the parent), isn’t distributed on the west coast. You may be able to buy it online.

White Lily biscuit recipe, with alternate recipe to use if White Lily self-rising flour is not available: http://pinchmysalt.com/2007/09/18/how-to-make-the-best-buttermilk-biscuits-from-scratch/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

White Lily distribution:

10-4, thanks!

Alton Brown’s recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/southern-biscuits-recipe/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

\

\

A suggestion made a while ago on the Squires board was to use a microplane for the butter. I’ve found it works very well.

Thanks for remembering Jay [cheers.gif] I purchased a microplane box grater to help in grating the frozen butter for large batches. The key is to put the butter in the freezer a couple of days before you want to use it. For some reason it seems to take a few days to get really hard enough to grate properly and not melt in your hand.

[wow.gif] [rofl.gif] [berserker.gif]

Couldn’t find a good thread other than this one, so I thought I’d bump this one. I went with Alton Brown’s Southern Style Buttermilk Biscuit recipe for these. With runny fried eggs, breakfast (for me) doesn’t get much better. I used some “real” buttermilk and could tell the difference.
20171231_094020.jpg
20171231_093956.jpg