Dinner at Tr. Nostrani with Dick and Carollee (june 2008)

Tonight’s theme is “Tomatoes”. The menu with our planned wines is:

1990 Krug ‘Clos de Mesnil’
Amusée (we won’t know what that is until we’re served it)
Warm Tomato Soup with Goat Cheese

2007 Chateau Bellevue la Foret (Fronton) Rosé
Eggplant and Spinach Roulade with Blue de Auvergne and Heirloom Tomatoes

1996 Michel Colin-Deleger Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Vergers
1999 Domaine Faiveley Corton-Charlemagne
Olive Oil Poached Halibut with Grilled Tomato and Shrimp Fumet

1983 Pierre Barge Cote Rotie
1985 Francois Gerard Cote Rotie
21-day Aged NY Strip Steak with Roasted Fingerling Potatoes, Scallions and Tomato Reduction

1983 Dow’s [375ml]
1976 Banyuls Domaine du Mas Blanc Grand Vin Colheita
Vanilla Crème Brulée with Raspberry Truffle Clusters

The 1990 Krug Clos de Mesnil is one of the top champanges I’ve EVER put into my mouth. A Krug 1985 late disgorged and a 1985 Cristal being the other 2. If you want an utterly champagne experience, the 90 CdM is something to seek out. THANKS DICK AND CAROLLEE!!

The 1996 Michel Colin-Deleger Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Vergers was ever so slightly oxidized. Being a C-M, it added some complexity to the already rich body. 1996 whites have some oxidation problems as we all know. If this had been a chablis, it could have been a disaster. As it was, we were ok.

However the 1999 Domaine Faiveley Corton-Charlemagne was simply beautiful. One of the best expressions of chardonnay is Corton Charlie for me. Dick first introduced me to this region and wow I’m glad he did. We were lucky enough that friends at the table next to us had a 1989 Corton-Charlemagne which was stunning. We did really well with the whites. The fish course was also yummy yummy yummy.

The Cote Rotie’s were good. The 1983 a bit cloudy if memory serves and should be drunk up. The 1985 more youthful (if you can say that about 23 year old wine) I think I would have preferred something a bit bolder but the 1985 was a great wine to drink.

The 76 banyuls was slightly corked. Didn’t notice it on first pour, but I wandered over to the other table to visit, and when I returned the TCA showed its ugly face. Too bad. 1 more bottle in my cellar which I’ll open sometime.

The 1983 Dow had some bacterial problem. Also disappointing. So I dug into my bag (always bring a backup, if not 2!) and pulled a 1928 Maury Solera. Very very very nice.

A great meal with Dick & Carollee as always.