Flannery Chateaubriand

But of course we all know it is superb meat. So I asked how it should be cooked, the discussion determined that is wasn’t the classic chateaubriand but rather was the center of the top sirlion.

Bryan was kind enough to talk with me about it, customer service is top notch as we all know, and included a handwritten note in the box. About 17 minutes for medium rare. He suggested about 11 minutes on 1st side, another 7 on the other. Did this at 450F on a direct heat propane grill, cast iron grates. Perfect. Great for my guests as well.

My only small issue is that the web site says one will feed 6 people generously. Not my friends. After gorging ourselves on the appetizers, plus 2 lobster tails each (4 oz) also grilled, the 18 of us plowed through all 3 without skipping a beat, and I’m sure a 4th would have disappeared as the cheese tray went fast, very fast. And everyone wandered the kitchen looking for “just a bit more meat”.

Indeed this is a perfect cut for serving a large crowd without breaking the bank. I may try to plan further ahead and see if I can get it 60 day aged next time, or at least 45 as I think, think, these were 30.

So this party, when I mentioned Flannery steaks people were very happy to come over, eat, drink and be merry! “Best steaks I’ve ever had” was uttered by more than 1 person.

Oh the wines:
NV Roederer Brut Premier, some perfect bottles!!
2007 Marques de Caceres Rioja Blanc
2003 Margerum Syrah
1999 Guigal Cote Rotie from Magnum
1986 Penfold’s 707
1999 The Luddite Shiraz
2005 Turley Dogtown Zin
2004 Two Hands something (I missed this bottle)
2004 Ojai Santa Barbara Syrah
NV Ojai Red

I wanted to drink more champagne, had some magnums waiting, but people, even with the lobster, were dying for red wine. Love my friends
[highfive.gif]

So what prevented YOU from just drinking more Champers yourself??

[drinkers.gif]

Oh I did. Don’t worry. [d_sunny.gif]

But the bottles were polished off a bit earlier than I wanted, and opening a 1.5L for myself just seemed silly, so I also moved to reds. Easier that way and I was doing more than my basic running around (still never figured out how I always felt behind at this event as everything seemed to flow, but I never felt “caught up” so just kept running around opening bottles and burning meat [highfive.gif] )