Bringing truffles back from France

Should I expect any problems with customs when bringing a very small amount of truffles back from France? I’m bringing less than an ounce, if that matters.

Also: when not taking a direct flight, where do you and your bags clear customs? At your first airport in the States, or your final destination?

I have no idea whether this will be allowed in, but you clear customs when you first touch down in the USA.

How are you bringing the truffles in?

We brought 1 back from Italy a few years ago and just put it (well wrapped) in the suitcase.

The only problem is that truffles have to be real fresh, so plan on buying it just before you get on the plane, and then use it within a couple of days of your arrival.

they are in a small jar and appear to be wet with oil – obviously they’re not super fresh, otherwise they wouldn’t be “preserved” in such a manner.

unfortunately, our first landing in the states is in Atlanta - I seem to recall Bowden saying that the customs folks there gave him some diffiulties with a measly two bottles of wine [swearing.gif]

If they’re in a jar, it shouldn’t be a problem. Just wrap the jar in your dirty underwear and don’t declare it.

So many openings for a joke here, I don’t even know where to begin.

I’m pretty sure canned or jarred product wouldn’t present a problem - a fresh truffle, OTOH, would be considered agricultural and subject to confiscation.

Thanks for the info., ya’ll. [cheers.gif]

FYI: we had no trouble bringing these back. The jar contained just under an ounce of truffles. The jar was never-opened. We declared it. We cleared customs in Atlanta.

It probably never dawned on those cretin custom agents that the things were once covered in dirt. They want to know whether you’ve so much as set foot on a farm, yet they let you bring something back that was dug out of the ground!

We told ‘em we had been walking in vineyards, and they didn’t seem to care — their response was to ask us if we had been around animals. We said “no,” they let us on our way.

The customs agents were probably not surprised to find only one.