How fresh are YOUR scallops?

Oh man. What a treat. Our buddy went diving out at the Channel Islands yesterday, and brought some of these beauties home, to enjoy with a few bottles of bubbly last night.

Yes, I know it looks like a rock. Work with me here.

Look at this creamy goodness:

We did a couple just sliced into bite sized pieces, raw, and picked them right out of the shell and dipped into a soy wasabi mixture. To taste it any fresher, you’d have to eat it underwater!
A couple we seared in clarified butter. Both were outrageous but I preferred the raw. It just tasted of the sea, in the same way that really fresh oysters do.

Yum.

Okay you win!!! Having sea food flown in three times a week does not compare. I HATE YOU!!!

This gives me an idea! Next trip I take to Catalina, when we go snorkeling, I’m gonna go searching for some Scallops! I hope they have some out there.

The scallop shell you have pictured above looks so much like a rock, I’m doubtful I would have brought it up. Why is the shell so misshapen?

Nice, very nice.

I’ve no idea, Todd. Is this one any better?
My friend says these are “rock scallops” - their rock like appearance is the way they camouflage themselves. He says that in the water, the way they find them is by this oddly, red colored lip they have that is only visible when the shell is open.

Now, that’s fresh.

[thank_you.gif] [dance2.gif]