New Orleans

I know New Orleans a food city – so I’ll try and keep this question as narrow as possible.

Looking for one excellent, classy meal to end a weekend trip there and celebrate my girlfriend’s birthday. I currently have a reservation at Restaurant August, but I’ve also heard great things about Commander’s Palace and Bayona. A tasting menu would be nice (and preferred), but it’s not crucial.

Any advice?

Thanks!

David; I loved the “Chef’s Tasting” at August. I thought it was a relative bargain and you can order it with or without the matching wines.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

August is great. For the classic New Orleans experience–with great food–I’d do Galatoire’s. I prefer it to Commander’s Palace and Bayona. I like Stella a lot as well.

Stella!

If “classic” is what your goal is…I’d go to Galatoire’s too…I prefer it to Commander’s, too.

August. Commander’s Palace was great recently but had horrendous service.

Going for work next week - any suggestions for a nice business dinner, or a quick lunch downtown?

Luke’s on St Charles.

Bayona is quite romantic, and a decent wine list to go with it.

+1 My wife and I went there and it was really really good. We even split the wine pairing as I had a 6:00 A.M flight out the following AM and there was plenty of wine. They are very, generous.

George

+2. Visited there earlier in the year, and four of us did the Chef’s Tasting. We brought our own vino, and it was the best dining there.

On the casual side, Luke’s is decent (but not great). We had a lot of fun at Cochon.

Bruce

Agree with August and Stella.

Also check out Herbsaint for lunch. One of the top spots around.

We had a wonderful meal at Bayona in February. If you are looking for quiet and romantic, try to book upstairs. If you prefer more bustle, a little crowding downstairs is the way to go.

We found Galatoire’s to be resting on its laurels, with a tired, traditional menu and unpleasant decor.

August is great. We ate there and I took my son to the restroom and on the way back stopped and showed him the entrance to the wine cellar. Chef John Besh walked by and took us on a tour of the wine cellar. Almost 11 months later, my wife and I are eating at Bouchon in Yountville and John Besh is seated at the table next to us. He strikes up a conversation with us. I mention that we ate at August and he remembered that my son has red hair and that he showed us the wine cellar. Have eaten there once since and it is one the top of their game.

A little off the beaten track is a place called Dante’s Kitchen (http://danteskitchen.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) . We went for brunch and I had a special of a mushroom and goat cheese omelette that blew my socks off. Our party had 8 people and to a person we said that was the best brunch that we could remember. Since you are doing a weekend and that is the only time they do brunch, I thought I would throw it in as well.

Monte

I’d second Cochon.

If I have one night I am going to Stella!. Still our all time favorite restaurant. Scott Boswell recently had a fund raiser for Bocuse d’OR USA foundation. Thomas Keller, Daniel Boulud and Jerome Bocuse came to cook with him.
http://mobile.nola.com/advnola/db_96614/contentdetail.htm;jsessionid=822BE1D930B5FE14A0C2B8B5F0F0F35C?contentguid=GgioOgg3&storycount=412&detailindex=4&pn=1&ps=10&full=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I have a 2nd night then August. Have eaten at the bar a bunch of times when traveling for work.

Herbsaint and Conchon are also not to be missed. Donald Link is doing some great things. NOLA is one of our favorites for lunch in the qtr( get the Shrimp and Grits). Used to be Mr B’s but they have not reached their pre Katrina level in our past visits.

Commanders, Galatoires and Antione’s are a must for classic Creole.

Coquette Wine and Bistro in the Garden District is one of the better new places. Chef/Owner is an August alum. Check out NOLA.Com. Local paper’s website. Terrific food section and dining guide. I happen to be listening to Kermit Ruffins while I type this…

We are way overdue to go back to our hometown.

My favorite restaurant of all time too. It quite simply does not get any better than this.

In 07 I had one of the very best dinners of my life there, including the excellent 05 Brogan Cellars My Father’s Vineyard and a lovely 02 Fevre 1er cru Chablis.

In 09 I had a so-so meal there including the pedestrian 04 Mouton. It seemed to me the wine program had changed radically.

The wine program has changed since Greg left a couple of years ago, and not for the better, but not for that much worse either. The food, however, is still just as good. The squash soup with an unpronounceable chocolate as garnish is the second best piece of food I have ever put in my mouth behind Dragos’ charbroiled oysters. I am surprised no one has mentioned Dragos for lunch yet.

Drago’s/BBQ oysters— best lunch I’ve ever had. My wife would agree. There. [berserker.gif]