Potatoes on a Grill?

Has anyone ever cooked potatoes on a grill?
I was thinking of making oven roasted potatoes, but thought the grill should be fine. Just not in the mood to use the oven when it is hot out.
Maybe put them in a basket?

Or is this just a disaster?

I’ve never done this, so I don’t know if it will work – that said, I can’t think of why it wouldn’t work. If you’re using a gas grill you’ll end-up going through a lot of gas, though.

Brian,
I don’t think I would go through any more gas than grilling chicken.
I usually oven roast for 15 minutes at 425, and I can get the grill pretty hot.

I did it but I sliced them into 1/2" slices, brushed them with oil and salt and pepper and grilled them with a bunch of other veggies. They were good. You can do them whole, I just did not have the patience. I am with you, I am in no mood to have an oven going for an hour. My son is currently making cookies and we will pay with a hot house for the rest of the day!

you can foil wrap the slices if you wish…add garlic and rosemary /butter. you can bake wedges indirectly like an oven … too.

i think if you bake whole i’d wrap in foil with a t of water… s and p.

paul

i add sirracha occasionally

Kimberly,
Thanks for the making the clarification…
I meant cooking them as cubed…not whole.
I usually cut them up into 1/2-3/4 inch cubes and oven roast with garlic and shallots, olive oil, s&p, then dash of lemon.
Question should be whether I can do this on the grill.

Do you put them directly on the grate?

oohhhh…interesting…

Dan,

Smoke them. Put them on the grill or on foil (top open) and add chips. All you’re after is ~20 mins of smoke - it won’t be pronounced, but they’ll roast as they usually would and have a slight smoke flavor too. Then roll some hanger steak in bacon fat, smoke those, finish over direct heat. mmmmm

Dan,

If you ever chose to try the hot sauce, add it before you oil the tators… it penetrates better.

I do, and boy does that siracha suggestion sound good! [cheers.gif]

I boil mine for about 8 or 9 minutes, then finish them on the grill.

Pre-heat the pan, add the potatoes, put the pan on the grate and close the grill cover. It’s a simulated oven. No problem.

I’ve done it foil-wrapped with some oil and any seasonings.

I often grill potatoes. If wanting to do some directly on grill I typically use small new red and cut them in half, oil, season, etc.

For doing them in foil, anything works. I love potatoes, but then again I was born in the Midwest! [snort.gif]

Nice!!

Paul

I often grill new small red potatoes (whole) or sliced Yukon golds on the grill. The reds I marinate with olive oil, salt and crushed garlic.

+1 on the parboling method.

I did exactly this plus with a touch Srirachi and squeezed lemon.
Turned out great directly on the grill. I cut the potatoes into 1-2 inch pieces.
I actually had to turn the heat down as it was browning pretty quick.
Delicious! Took about 15-20 minutes.

I take whole baby reds, season them up to taste, add some olive oil or butter, and wrap them all up in a foil pouch.
I also have a perforated vegetable pan which sits on top of the grill - so if I want cut up spuds, I’ll do them that way - they get a nice crust with that method.

I do taters on the grill all the time. I think the best approach is to cut into wedges (or halve if they are small reds) and par-boil for a few minutes. Toss them in a bowl with some ovile oil, S&P, and whatever else you want to bring to the party, and then grill in a vegetable basket.

I’ve done them many times in a foil pouch on the grill, with onions and peppers, but in the end you are simply steaming them when you do this.