Cold brew coffee

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Cold brew coffee

#101 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 15th, 2013, 8:46 am

Would cold-brewed coffee have less caffeine than brewed, since the heat doesn't extract it, or would it be more as it simply dissolves into the liquid?
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member

Cold brew coffee

#102 Post by Eric LeVine » September 15th, 2013, 9:31 am

Caffeine is water soluble. Heat is less of an issue. My understanding is that cold brew, especially if not cut/diluted with water, is quite a bit HIGHER in caffeine due to the extended contact time. (Espresso by comparison is fairly low in caffeine since the contact is only about 20 seconds. Lots of flavor. Not so much caffeine.)
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Cold brew coffee

#103 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 15th, 2013, 10:03 am

Eric LeVine wrote:Caffeine is water soluble. Heat is less of an issue. My understanding is that cold brew, especially if not cut/diluted with water, is quite a bit HIGHER in caffeine due to the extended contact time. (Espresso by comparison is fairly low in caffeine since the contact is only about 20 seconds. Lots of flavor. Not so much caffeine.)
And how ironic that the industry makes it seem the opposite when it comes to espresso shots
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Dennis Atick

Cold-Brewed Coffee

#104 Post by Dennis Atick » September 15th, 2013, 6:21 pm

Jorge Henriquez wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Dennis Atick wrote:I've been doing this for several years now.
Living in the south, I literally don't do hot coffee from May-Sep.
This is helpful: http://toddycafe.com/

I often do it Vietnamese-style mixed with sweetened evaporated milk.
Dennis - how do you get the sweetened condensed/evaporated milk to mix in? It's like sludge when added to cold coffee...

Been gone and didn't see this to answer, but Jorge nailed it.
Cocktail shaker.
@decaturwinedude

Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member

Cold brew coffee

#105 Post by Eric LeVine » September 15th, 2013, 6:22 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Eric LeVine wrote:Caffeine is water soluble. Heat is less of an issue. My understanding is that cold brew, especially if not cut/diluted with water, is quite a bit HIGHER in caffeine due to the extended contact time. (Espresso by comparison is fairly low in caffeine since the contact is only about 20 seconds. Lots of flavor. Not so much caffeine.)
And how ironic that the industry makes it seem the opposite when it comes to espresso shots
What industry? Intense flavor does not equal intense caffeine.
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

Cold brew coffee

#106 Post by Linda Baehr » September 15th, 2013, 6:51 pm

Eric LeVine wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
I think the impression a lot of people have is that espresso is very strong, so the caffeine must be higher in correlation to the strong flavor. And since it is done in shots, it also kind of implies that is will zip you up- kind of like the intense experience of doing a shot of alcohol.
ITB..................................but you guys knew that already, right?
Check out my Artwork Album on my Facebook page!
Buy a painting from a starving artist!

PauLeenda2020

Mel Hill

Cold brew coffee

#107 Post by Mel Hill » September 15th, 2013, 6:56 pm

Wait, there is no booze in shots of expresso? [swearing.gif]

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Cold brew coffee

#108 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 15th, 2013, 7:00 pm

Eric LeVine wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
The coffee industry, who sells 'shots of espresso' as huge caffeine injections, when they have less caffeine than coffee

Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member

Cold brew coffee

#109 Post by Eric LeVine » September 15th, 2013, 7:35 pm

That's not how it's sold here, but then again we have more espresso shops per capita than any other city in the US.
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

Nolan E

Cold brew coffee

#110 Post by Nolan E » September 19th, 2013, 6:04 pm

Has anyone taken cold-brew coffee, filtered it, then rebrewed with fresh grounds?

I'm hoping I can achieve a WA100+ coffee.
ITB
Nolan Ellis

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Cold brew coffee

#111 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 19th, 2013, 8:10 pm

Nolan E wrote:Has anyone taken cold-brew coffee, filtered it, then rebrewed with fresh grounds?

I'm hoping I can achieve a WA100+ coffee.
without the Suckling 100 point mug, it can't happen.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Cold brew coffee

#112 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 27th, 2013, 10:05 am

Trader Joe's has a Cold Brewed Coffee concentrate that I bought yesterday to try out. Not bad, but don't make the mistake of forgetting to dilute it with water/milk. It's a bit more bitter than my home brew stuff, but lately I've been inconsistent with my home brewing, also, so it's hard to tell. $7 or $8 for a container that makes 12 8oz cups.

brianmcbrearty
GCC Member
GCC Member

Cold brew coffee

#113 Post by brianmcbrearty » October 2nd, 2013, 1:08 pm

Is it always about making concentrate? What happens if I just make my usual 12 cup french press and cold brew it for 12 hours with the usual proportions?

Will I not get something I can just press out and microwave up?

Larry P
GCC Member
GCC Member

Cold brew coffee

#114 Post by Larry P » October 2nd, 2013, 4:04 pm

brianmcbrearty wrote:Is it always about making concentrate? What happens if I just make my usual 12 cup french press and cold brew it for 12 hours with the usual proportions?

Will I not get something I can just press out and microwave up?
I think that should work just fine, but I'm passing mine through a paper filter out of the French Press, to remove that last bit of sludge, and that's the most time consuming part of the whole process. Adding more water would just make it take longer. If you took it right out of the press though, I think that would be ok.
P ! g g ! n s

"You keep me searching for a heart of gold" - Neil Young
"Metal heart, you're not worth a thing" - Cat Power

brianmcbrearty
GCC Member
GCC Member

Cold brew coffee

#115 Post by brianmcbrearty » October 3rd, 2013, 7:12 am

It's certainly nice to just nuke up the first cup in the morning. I've actually done this many times but asked the question because what I had NOT done was follow a recipe and made concentrate. So I wondered what I was missing and thought maybe one of you would say, "no no no that won't be the result we're talking about."
This 15 hour result is fine, not super strong, but enough. The lack of bitterness and acid though is almost boring.

Paul L i n

Cold brew coffee

#116 Post by Paul L i n » October 4th, 2013, 11:47 am

Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but here's a Kickerstarter project for a cold-brew system. Looks promising.

Scott G r u n e r

Cold brew coffee

#117 Post by Scott G r u n e r » October 4th, 2013, 2:33 pm

Is nuke the primary way you get this hot? does the nuke destroys flavors? I assume sauce pan is the primary other option?
//Cynic

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

Cold brew coffee

#118 Post by Kris Patten » October 8th, 2013, 11:05 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:Trader Joe's has a Cold Brewed Coffee concentrate that I bought yesterday to try out. Not bad, but don't make the mistake of forgetting to dilute it with water/milk. It's a bit more bitter than my home brew stuff, but lately I've been inconsistent with my home brewing, also, so it's hard to tell. $7 or $8 for a container that makes 12 8oz cups.
Yea, yea, mentioned that on previous page.....little almond milk fixes it up.. [cheers.gif]
ITB

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Cold brew coffee

#119 Post by Todd F r e n c h » October 9th, 2013, 9:02 am

Kris Patten wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:Trader Joe's has a Cold Brewed Coffee concentrate that I bought yesterday to try out. Not bad, but don't make the mistake of forgetting to dilute it with water/milk. It's a bit more bitter than my home brew stuff, but lately I've been inconsistent with my home brewing, also, so it's hard to tell. $7 or $8 for a container that makes 12 8oz cups.
Yea, yea, mentioned that on previous page.....little almond milk fixes it up.. [cheers.gif]
I was using almond milk.

Today's concoction, however, was a frappuccino - used the Ninja blender's single serving attachment, ice, milk, honey, and the concentrate.

YacobovE

Home Coffee Cold Brew Recommendations

#120 Post by YacobovE » June 23rd, 2014, 9:08 pm

I know there are some serious coffee fanatics on here, so just wanted to see if there are any recommendations on a good cold brew unit for home/apartment use? Thanks!
E+d*a-n Y+a-c*o~b^o+v*s-k~y - not a lawyer, but I played one in a community theater rendition of My Cousin Vinny

Marc Yamawaki

#121 Post by Marc Yamawaki » June 24th, 2014, 12:20 am

Do you mean something like this:
http://www.bluebottlecoffee.com/prepara ... leans-iced
Although I don't add the chicory

Larry P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#122 Post by Larry P » June 24th, 2014, 12:26 am

An extensive thread here with lots of info:
http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... =6&t=26336
P ! g g ! n s

Ron Kramer

Cold brew coffee

#123 Post by Ron Kramer » June 24th, 2014, 8:03 am

Trader Joe is advertising they have a cold brew extract which I will try to buy today.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

Cold brew coffee

#124 Post by Jay Miller » June 24th, 2014, 8:17 am

My new favorite local coffee shop carries the Stumptown Cold Brew stubbies. I've fallen in love flirtysmile
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

YacobovE

#125 Post by YacobovE » June 24th, 2014, 8:47 am

Larry P wrote:An extensive thread here with lots of info:
Thank you!
E+d*a-n Y+a-c*o~b^o+v*s-k~y - not a lawyer, but I played one in a community theater rendition of My Cousin Vinny

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Cold brew coffee

#126 Post by Todd F r e n c h » June 24th, 2014, 10:12 am

merging threads

Larry P
GCC Member
GCC Member

Cold brew coffee

#127 Post by Larry P » June 24th, 2014, 12:02 pm

Interesting taste test here of 4 methods of brewing iced coffee:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/what ... offee.html

Summary: Pour-over (so-called Japanese Style) won the taste test for straight/black coffee. When adding things like sugar or creme, cold brew and "diner coffee" left in the fridge were preferred. It is, however, impossible to control all variables, right down to bean type; they used Ethiopian beans for this test. Clearly personal preference is king here, but I find it ironic that the reason given for Japanese-style being superior (cold water doesn't extract all the aromatic compounds in coffee) is the same reason given for cold brew's superiority.

I've been drinking my cold brew with a pinch of salt + a pinch of sugar + skim milk. I'll try the pour-over method this summer, if for no other reason than it looks like a lot less work.
P ! g g ! n s

mike pobega

Cold brew coffee

#128 Post by mike pobega » June 25th, 2014, 10:23 am

I pour-over and love it. It really brings the best qualities out of the bean.

mike pobega

Cold brew coffee

#129 Post by mike pobega » June 25th, 2014, 10:25 am

Ron Kramer wrote:Trader Joe is advertising they have a cold brew extract which I will try to buy today.
Ron, I have tried the TJ cold brew and liked it alot. Then I came across the pour-over process and never looked back.
I think for iced coffee the TJ option works wonderfully. Love the near non-existent acidity.

By the way, I am a fan of Starbucks no matter what the hay here is. they just reintroduced the Kati Kati Blend for this year and I could not be happier.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Cold brew coffee

#130 Post by Todd F r e n c h » June 25th, 2014, 10:48 am

Pour over iced method is using hot brewed coffee poured through a filter again, onto ice??

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

Cold brew coffee

#131 Post by Jorge Henriquez » June 25th, 2014, 11:05 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:Pour over iced method is using hot brewed coffee poured through a filter again, onto ice??
Looks like it is.

[youtube][/youtube]
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

Larry P
GCC Member
GCC Member

Cold brew coffee

#132 Post by Larry P » June 25th, 2014, 2:53 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:Pour over iced method is using hot brewed coffee poured through a filter again, onto ice??
No - hot water poured through grounds/filter to drip directly onto ice. The serious eats method brews the coffee ultra-strong i.e. use however many grounds you would for 16oz of coffee, then pour 8oz hot water onto 8oz ice, so the coffee isn't diluted, and it seems a good way to keep from over-extracting the beans.

It would be relatively easy to put together a rig to do this, but also pour-over brewers from Melitta and Hario are pretty cheap as well.
P ! g g ! n s

Nolan E

Cold brew coffee

#133 Post by Nolan E » June 25th, 2014, 3:31 pm

mike pobega wrote:I pour-over and love it. It really brings the best qualities out of the bean.
How are you doing a pour over as cold brew?
ITB
Nolan Ellis

mike pobega

Cold brew coffee

#134 Post by mike pobega » June 26th, 2014, 11:57 am

I'm not. I switched to pour-over.

Mel Hill

Cold brew coffee

#135 Post by Mel Hill » June 26th, 2014, 12:16 pm

Did the pour over ice yesterday for my daugher and her friends and they really liked it. I used 75g of coffee to 12 oz water & 12oz ice

our normal drip coffee is 75g to 40oz water (based on 30g per 16oz ratio that was recommend)

M Kelly

Cold brew coffee

#136 Post by M Kelly » June 29th, 2014, 7:50 am

Paul L i n wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but here's a Kickerstarter project for a cold-brew system. Looks promising.

We bought one of these - it's great, though the volume is small. I'd love a big ole Kyoto style drip thing, but too big and too pricey.
Mike

Michael Sopher
GCC Member
GCC Member

Cold brew coffee

#137 Post by Michael Sopher » June 29th, 2014, 9:53 am

I have long done a 24 hour soak then strain in a french press followed by 12+ hours to settle out the remaining sludge after which I decant into a mason jar. Make about 32 oz per batch.

I have started an over strength aero press straight onto ice... loving that too

Nolan E

Cold brew coffee

#138 Post by Nolan E » June 29th, 2014, 10:36 am

M Kelly wrote:
Paul L i n wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but here's a Kickerstarter project for a cold-brew system. Looks promising.

We bought one of these - it's great, though the volume is small. I'd love a big ole Kyoto style drip thing, but too big and too pricey.
I like how one of the incentives to donate is double walled mugs. Definitely need the double walled mugs to protect you from the room temperature coffee.
ITB
Nolan Ellis

M Kelly

Cold brew coffee

#139 Post by M Kelly » June 30th, 2014, 9:44 am

Nolan E wrote:
M Kelly wrote:

I like how one of the incentives to donate is double walled mugs. Definitely need the double walled mugs to protect you from the room temperature coffee.
Don't want to heat it up to body temp!!!!
Mike

David Fleming

Cold brew coffee

#140 Post by David Fleming » July 18th, 2014, 4:17 pm

M Kelly wrote:

The coffee bar across the street from my house is selling these now. I asked one of the baristas how well they work. He said they get an extraction comparable to their full size Kyoto rigs. But as you mentioned, the output from the Bruer is pretty small.

Hario makes a 'home sized' kyoto rig, but it's quite a bit more expensive than the Bruer.

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

What's the deal with cold-brewed coffee?

#141 Post by John Morris » October 13th, 2016, 10:45 am

I'd never heard of it until I was sitting in a funky cafe at the foot of Russian Hill a while back and asked about the bizarre glass device and tubing they had.

Now I've seen shops tauting it in New York.

I thought the water for coffee had to be at a fairly high temperature (or steam) to extract the best aromas.

What am I missing?
"I pencilled in half an hour to suffer fools tomorrow, but now I’m thinking I might bump it out until Monday." -- @duchessgoldblat

“Only he who has walked through the deepest valley knows how other valleys of lesser depth are relatively more walk-throughable, valley-wise.” – @TheTweetOfGod

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#142 Post by Todd F r e n c h » October 13th, 2016, 10:52 am

Here's a 3-page thread on it...I'll merge them, since the search function appears to most to be unusable [pwn.gif]

ybarselah

#143 Post by ybarselah » October 13th, 2016, 10:52 am

been huge for maybe 10 years?

sounds like you saw a kyoto style setup.

it's great. easy to do at home.
Yaacov (ITB)

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

Cold brew coffee

#144 Post by John Morris » October 13th, 2016, 11:09 am

Ha! Thanks for merging my post/thread, Todd.

I'm laughing, because the OP for this thread from Eric -- SIX YEARS AGO -- was "I think I am late to the party. Anyone ever have cold brew coffee before?"

Talk about late to the party! That's me. I was going to blame it on being on the East Coast, since every food trend comes here last, but Yaacov has deprived me of that excuse.

(I did search for threads, but since you can't search for "cold brew" and I didn't go back two years, I didn't see this thread.)
"I pencilled in half an hour to suffer fools tomorrow, but now I’m thinking I might bump it out until Monday." -- @duchessgoldblat

“Only he who has walked through the deepest valley knows how other valleys of lesser depth are relatively more walk-throughable, valley-wise.” – @TheTweetOfGod

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Cold brew coffee

#145 Post by Todd F r e n c h » October 13th, 2016, 11:17 am

John Morris wrote:Ha! Thanks for merging my post/thread, Todd.

I'm laughing, because the OP for this thread from Eric -- SIX YEARS AGO -- was "I think I am late to the party. Anyone ever have cold brew coffee before?"

Talk about late to the party! That's me. I was going to blame it on being on the East Coast, since every food trend comes here last, but Yaacov has deprived me of that excuse.

(I did search for threads, but since you can't search for "cold brew" and I didn't go back two years, I didn't see this thread.)
I make it frequently, during the summer, and just use coffee I don't necessarily like, put it in a French Press, leave it 24 hours or more, strain/filter it out, add honey (I like my coffee with a little sweetness) and keep it in the fridge, adding water, ice, and/or milk all as needed.

gene keenan
GCC Member
GCC Member

Cold brew coffee

#146 Post by gene keenan » October 14th, 2016, 11:38 am

The thread that keeps on giving.

We pretty much only drink cold brew at the house these day. I make three quarts at a time in a 1 gallon Lexan put in the fridge. The vietnamese love chicory coffee it seems and you can buy French Market brand coffee for practically nothing. 1 part of that mixed with 5 parts coffee and you get that a nice chicory flavor plus the placebo effect of the resulting brew being darker.

Since this thread started the cold brew thing has gone nuts. The Whole Foods by our house now has a large refrigeration unit stuffed with cold brew from different purveyors. Costco sells Blue Bottle cold brew too.
Jerry loved well aged BV Private Reserve Georges De Latour

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

Cold brew coffee

#147 Post by Jay Miller » October 16th, 2016, 9:01 am

There seems to be a huge range of quality in cold brew coffee though. I fell in love with it when I picked up a bottle from a local roaster - Modcup. Since then I've tried about a half dozen different brands sold in high end grocers and none of them come close to the complexity of flavor I get from the Modcup cold brew.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

Cold brew coffee

#148 Post by c fu » October 17th, 2016, 10:06 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
John Morris wrote:Ha! Thanks for merging my post/thread, Todd.

I make it frequently, during the summer, and just use coffee I don't necessarily like, put it in a French Press, leave it 24 hours or more, strain/filter it out, add honey (I like my coffee with a little sweetness) and keep it in the fridge, adding water, ice, and/or milk all as needed.
I add a little sweetened soy milk into cold brew. Dericious.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

gene keenan
GCC Member
GCC Member

Cold brew coffee

#149 Post by gene keenan » October 17th, 2016, 2:04 pm

Jay Miller wrote:There seems to be a huge range of quality in cold brew coffee though. I fell in love with it when I picked up a bottle from a local roaster - Modcup. Since then I've tried about a half dozen different brands sold in high end grocers and none of them come close to the complexity of flavor I get from the Modcup cold brew.

Thats because you can generally get away with using a much lower grade coffee. The glaring warts in a hot brew are not so apparent in a cold one. There is huge range in quality with roasters too...
Jerry loved well aged BV Private Reserve Georges De Latour

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”