Seattle

We have decided to make a short trip to Seattle for Spring break, leaving tomorrow. What are the must dine restaurants right now? My kids are young but well trained in dining, and we always go for the first seating anyways. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Our mutual friend The Storyteller has recommended Harvest Vine to me more than once, but Steve and I haven’t made it there yet. It’s certainly not new, but I loved Wild Ginger. We also enjoyed Tilth on Bob Scherb’s (from Liner and Elsen) recommendation, but we went for brunch, not dinner. Seattle’s got some authentic neapolitan pizza now at Tutta Bella (which we really liked) and Via Tribunali (which was closed on our last visit).

Anyone else? Father Saxon?

We had a great meal at Harvest Vine a few years back, ordered an extra charcuterie plate just for my three year old. Also, some good meals at Wild Ginger. Will check out Tilth, thanks!

The board expert on Seattle restaurants is Phil Franks. I think he’s having dinner at one right now so I would pm him.

BTW, my favorites are Cafe Campagne, Cafe Juanita, Wild Ginger, Tilth and Le Pichet.

All of these are good suggestions if you’re looking for higher end dining, except I’m not a fan of Tilth. I also second the suggestions for Harvest Vine and Via Tribunali, though I’d try to go at off hours unless you don’t mind a bit of a wait. In addition, check out UNION and Matt’s in the Market. I’ve heard good things about La Spinasse and How To Cook A Wolf, but haven’t been to either.

Spinasse is very good and now in your neighborhood Dan. Check it out. This would also be a good place for Todd to take the family.

How To Cook A Wolf is awesome but you have to get there when it opens or wait a few hours for a table. Not really a family friendly place.

I’ve always been a fan on Tilth.

A big thank you to all who threw some reco’s our way. We really had a fun time. Sunday afternoon we arrived and checked in at the Warwick, which has a pool and is located nicely on 4th and Lenora (the strong points). Then we walked down to Pike’s market and ate steamed pork buns (actually, I ate steamed pork buns everyday because I had to).

Although we weren’t planning on it we ate at Il Bistro right down there in the market. It was quite good; rigatoni, mushroom ravioli, seafood risotto, a new york, lasagna and gnocchi. All good and went well with the 04 Voerzio Priavina. For dessert I had a glass (which they brimmed) of Clear Creek Muscat, which made the cold walk toasty.

Breakfast the next day at Six Seven at the Edgewater Hotel was awesome, fantastic and a killer Bloody Mary too boot. Then back to the market for steamed buns and Piroshky’s. Wandered around the Space Needle and EMP, rode the monorail and window shopped around Belltown. My daughter saw Typhoon on the map, so we ate there where I had wonderful shrimp and scallop dumplings in a green curry sauce, so good. Half off wines so the Hugel Gentil was $14, nice with the curry, satay, pho and ginger chicken. I know Typhoon is everywhere, but it always tastes good.

Breakfast at Lola’s was devine; house cured gravlax- simply gorgeous. And my maple pork sausage and poached eggs were spot on. Really good. The down to the market for some steamed buns and a walk to the underground tour, which was fun. The raunchy humor is right up my sophomoric alley. And then we were stupid. Salumi is right in the area and we missed out. After the long walk the kids swam for an hour and were beat tired for dinner. Across the street (almost) were Dahlia and Brasa, Dahlia or Brasa? We went to Brasa; Humus, Muscovy Duck, Salmon, and Octopus. I just had the waiter pick out a red and a white that would go with dinner; he brought a Bordeaux and an Albarino. Both nice, don’t know who made them.

The next day, or last day, we swam, then organized, and went to Steelhead Diner for Lunch. Had we eaten here first we would have gone back again this trip. Chicken licken strips, crab cakes, meatloaf, gumbo, catfish and pecan pie. So good, so effing good. I really want my wine on this list, all the lists really, but especially this one. Fantastic! Had the Elisio Syrah which was nice too.

We walked everywhere and Spinasse was closed Tuesday, so that was a miss. But, we love Seattle and with P & S starting with our brand next month, hopefully I can get up there quarterly. We walked everywhere, and what’s up with Third street? Seemed like drug addict heaven met the chemically imbalanced. Ok people watching, but sometimes hard to explain to my Fourth and Second graders.

Thanks again.

Typhoon is one of my favorite places, even if it is ubiquitous. Glad to hear you had a fun trip!