One night in Charleston, SC, where to eat.

I have one night in Charleston SC this weekend. I saw the “best wine list” thread on ebob but want to focus on FOOD first, wine second and charm 3rd. Location a distant fourth but I’m thinking near the historic district.

I saw Charleston Grill and it looks pretty nice but am open to any/all suggestions.

I can BYO (prefer not to as this is a short trip) or can buy off the list, doesn’t matter to me.

Thanks.

All this on Squires. My list, we ate at 4 spots;

1. McGrady’s , great ambience, wonderful menu, great list, great wine director, great dessert. Somewhat elegant.

2. Magnolia, just had lunch, still made the #2 spot on the list. Loved the food, surprised and impressed by the list. Very nice room.

3. Fig, by a hair. Creative food, good service, serviceable list. Younger, smaller.

4. Rue de Jean: something for everyone and well done. Service had some issues, mostly because a twenty something doesn’t always “get” a fifty something, but I’m the one deciding on the tip. Just try and be nice. Fun atmosphere, probably due to the same ageist issues.

The walking is great. There are distinct neighborhoods, some new, some old, some real. I’m going back.