I’ve never done it and want to try.
Dan

Christine Huang
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: The Smoker Thread - recipes, techniques, ideas

#602 Post by Christine Huang » September 12th, 2019, 8:22 pm

Hi Dan,

Skin on or off Belly? Are you looking to make bacon?

dteng

#603 Post by dteng » September 15th, 2019, 5:08 pm

Christine Huang wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 8:22 pm
Hi Dan,

Skin on or off Belly? Are you looking to make bacon?
Skin off.
To eat but not as bacon.
Dan

GregP

#604 Post by GregP » September 15th, 2019, 7:08 pm

You're way better off smoking the belly with skin on. Can take it off afterwards, if need be and at any time. I smoke with skin on, and then use it as bacon, but mostly while roasting Brussels sprouts, or making pasta, soups, etc. Or simply sliced, as finger food, some good cheese, olives, wine and you have a nice and simple no cooking dinner. Main reason I do not buy skinless even though Costco has great quality chunks. You have plenty of great Asian markets in NorCal, buy bone-in, or not. With bone-in, need to smoke it a bit longer. And, unlike Costco, you can pick any piece you like, more meat or less. Strongly advise skin-on.
G r e g P i a t i g o r s k i
I T B - i s k a r a n u w i n e

ERPark

#605 Post by ERPark » September 16th, 2019, 9:32 am

Costco Business Centers will almost always have skin on pork belly available right next to the skinless version. No bone-in option, though.
GEN3

Christine Huang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#606 Post by Christine Huang » September 16th, 2019, 11:03 am

TimF wrote:
June 28th, 2018, 6:24 am
I smoked 11 pounds of pork belly yesterday. I got it at Costco and cut it in half for easy handling. I followed David Chang's instructions for the most part. I coated both sides with a 50/50 mix of kosher salt and cane sugar. I let that sit in the fridge overnight.

I cooked it at 300F for about 2 hours with a mix of oak and hickory. Then I cranked the smoker up as far as it would go, which turns out to only be about 380, until the internal temp got to 190 -- another hour or so.

I served slices of the pork on steamed pork buns coated with hoisin. It was very tasty. These things are *extremeley* rich. I could eat so many of them but I'm pretty sure I would hate myself aftward.

Overall I was pretty happy with the first time results. I think in the future I might just cook at 300 until it gets to 185 and then finish under the broiler to get a crispier skin.

belly.jpeg

Dan - I've done practically the same thing that Tim did in his post with a skin-off belly. For Skin On, I cure it and make bacon.

dteng

#607 Post by dteng » September 16th, 2019, 1:35 pm

Christine Huang wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 11:03 am
TimF wrote:
June 28th, 2018, 6:24 am
I smoked 11 pounds of pork belly yesterday. I got it at Costco and cut it in half for easy handling. I followed David Chang's instructions for the most part. I coated both sides with a 50/50 mix of kosher salt and cane sugar. I let that sit in the fridge overnight.

I cooked it at 300F for about 2 hours with a mix of oak and hickory. Then I cranked the smoker up as far as it would go, which turns out to only be about 380, until the internal temp got to 190 -- another hour or so.

I served slices of the pork on steamed pork buns coated with hoisin. It was very tasty. These things are *extremeley* rich. I could eat so many of them but I'm pretty sure I would hate myself aftward.

Overall I was pretty happy with the first time results. I think in the future I might just cook at 300 until it gets to 185 and then finish under the broiler to get a crispier skin.

belly.jpeg

Dan - I've done practically the same thing that Tim did in his post with a skin-off belly. For Skin On, I cure it and make bacon.
Ooo dang I missed that post!
Need to try that as I still have half.
Dan

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#608 Post by Andrew Kotowski » September 19th, 2019, 1:05 pm

Heavier focus on grilling and the science of cooking, but love Meathead Goldwyn. Also talks at length re: marinades and why he doesn't brine or use wet marinade.

http://www.scottrobertsweb.com/the-fire ... arbecuing/
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.instagram.com/akgrill

GregP

#609 Post by GregP » September 19th, 2019, 9:57 pm

ERPark wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 9:32 am
Costco Business Centers will almost always have skin on pork belly available right next to the skinless version. No bone-in option, though.
Not arguing, but none of the Costco stores in Vegas, including one Business Center, carry pork belly with skin on. Not sure why, but that's the reality I face. Great Asian markets, though, so I am not complaining :-) A 3-3.5 pounds piece works out nicely.

Thanks for the heads up, in Bay Area for the crush and will but some from Costco just for the size. I use pancetta dry cure recipe, 10-12 days in cure, then throw it into smoker, apple wood, comes out seriously good, and way better bacon than one can buy in a store at any price. If I find skin-on at Costco in CA I now want to make pancetta with larger piece of pork making it way easier to roll up.
G r e g P i a t i g o r s k i
I T B - i s k a r a n u w i n e

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”