s t e w @ r t

Bill Tex Landreth

Re: The Smoker Thread - recipes, techniques, ideas

#502 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » September 16th, 2018, 7:48 am

Here you go
Attachments
9C16383E-106F-444C-A701-7664709EA7CC.jpeg
08594D4F-BB83-4FFA-86D8-21415E98A92E.jpeg
It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#503 Post by MitchTallan » September 16th, 2018, 1:29 pm

What type/make of smoker do you use Tex?

Bill Tex Landreth

#504 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » September 16th, 2018, 3:15 pm

Weber Ranch Kettle
It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#505 Post by MitchTallan » September 16th, 2018, 5:31 pm

Bill Tex Landreth wrote:
September 16th, 2018, 3:15 pm
Weber Ranch Kettle
Wow. Very impressive. I am a big Weber fan. Did the launch of the Summit intrigue you at all or do you prefer the non-insulated large format of the Ranch?

Bill Tex Landreth

#506 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » September 16th, 2018, 6:04 pm

I like the flexibility the RK gives me as well as the serious real estate advantage.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#507 Post by Andrew Kotowski » September 16th, 2018, 7:45 pm

For what it’s worth - have been playing around with my Vision (Kamado) and trying different ways to set up dual temp zones. I had charcoal baskets with my Weber Kettle before, but haven’t gone aftermarket with the BGE knock-off. I’ve been using a split log on the center to separate the grill into halves, which gives me the added benefit of smoke while I go.
Attachments
E8A3FA85-992C-413E-B372-68DE5965B16B.jpeg

jordan whitehead

#508 Post by jordan whitehead » September 16th, 2018, 9:21 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
September 16th, 2018, 7:45 pm
For what it’s worth - have been playing around with my Vision (Kamado)
opinion on the "Vision" grills? Which one do you have?
www.annaswish.org

Chuck Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#509 Post by Chuck Miller » September 16th, 2018, 11:15 pm

MitchTallan wrote:
September 15th, 2018, 7:27 am
Yes, I have a bad habit of misspelling it Chuck, based on how most people pronounce it. Correcting my spelling is something of a jab, intimating that if I can't spell it I don't know what I am talking about. That's fine. I can take it. I've been cooking 20 briskets or so a year for 40 years. That's about 800 briskets unless you wish to correct my math. As to the cross-breeding, I can only repeat what my inside source tells me-he is an executive at a stockyard company (I believe-he is a bit secretive about it) and states that what he sells are purebred Wagyu unlike anyone else's. He explains that the problem with purebred Wagyu is that they grow slowly and don't have large breast meat. The market likes size. But to Tex's comment, that is the key-the grading is done at the prime rib. The grading is primarily based on marbling but there are many other aspects of the ribs that are examined having to do with the ossification and shape of the bones. The point being that the brisket quality will not always correlate with the appearance of the prime rib. Again, anyone who thinks that the USDA specifically examines and grades the briskets is mistaken. The producers themselves don't normally apply grades to their briskets. The distributors and and retailers do sometimes. Call the folks at Nebraska Beef who provide those briskets for Whole Foods/Amazon and ask them what grade that brisket they offer is and they will tell you the same thing I stated above.
Mitch, I did not mean to imply that you didn’t know what you are talking about. If some one misspells something once, it is often a typo. When it is repeated misspelled, I think it is worth a correction. Speaking of which, I did a little more research, and I was wrong in thinking that almost all domestic Wagyu cattle are crossbred. Apparently in the US there are around 30,000 cattle that are ‘wagyu influenced’ genetically, but fewer than 5,000 of them are purebred. But they do exist.
Chuck Miller
Seattle Wine Storage

Bill Tex Landreth

#510 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » September 17th, 2018, 3:07 am

We have two purebred Black Wagyu bulls birthed via artificial insemination. Not cheap.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#511 Post by Brian Tuite » September 17th, 2018, 5:48 am

34# of Pork Butt on my BGE. I’ve never done 4 butts at once and it was small challenge to get them to fit. The scarcity of hardwood charcol options around here is a drag. Other than Royal Oak and Lazarri Mesquite it’s a wasteland and only Lazarri comes on 40# bags. Used Lazarri with a pile of Applewood chunks on top. Had to restoke the firebox in the morning to finish it all off but in the end it was all good.

Anyone know of a source in the North Bay for some better hardwood charcoal?
BFD9FBBB-4915-41C4-9432-1B8CCDD18480.jpeg
BDF94237-EE3C-49D2-A2EE-8AF1D9AE6AAF.jpeg
5A75BBF5-C94C-4D02-B1C2-39EE0AA70A02.jpeg
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#512 Post by scamhi » September 17th, 2018, 5:49 am

Bill Tex Landreth wrote:
September 16th, 2018, 7:48 am
Here you go
thanks. Looks great.
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#513 Post by scamhi » September 17th, 2018, 5:50 am

Brian Tuite wrote:
September 17th, 2018, 5:48 am
34# of Pork Butt on my BGE. I’ve never done 4 butts at once and it was small challenge to get them to fit. The scarcity of hardwood charcol options around here is a drag. Other than Royal Oak and Lazarri Mesquite it’s a wasteland and only Lazarri comes on 40# bags. Used Lazarri with a pile of Applewood chunks on top. Had to restoke the firebox in the morning to finish it all off but in the end it was all good.

BFD9FBBB-4915-41C4-9432-1B8CCDD18480.jpeg

BDF94237-EE3C-49D2-A2EE-8AF1D9AE6AAF.jpeg

5A75BBF5-C94C-4D02-B1C2-39EE0AA70A02.jpeg
this looks great too. try here. Rockwood Charcoal is a very good product.
https://rockwoodcharcoal.com/where-to-b ... -charcoal/
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#514 Post by Andrew Kotowski » September 17th, 2018, 6:11 am

jordan whitehead wrote:
September 16th, 2018, 9:21 pm
Andrew Kotowski wrote:
September 16th, 2018, 7:45 pm
For what it’s worth - have been playing around with my Vision (Kamado)
opinion on the "Vision" grills? Which one do you have?
Uncertain which one I have; picked it up used off a buddy who had one for several years and upgraded. Pros - seal has been good, BGE accessories work well (diffuser, rib rack) and price was right. Biggest con, by far, is no detachable base to pull the ash out, so cleaning it is a pain. Also difficult to add new wood chunks with the set-up I have (grate had a flap, but it’s small), which requires me to left everything out if I want to use larger chunks.

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#515 Post by MitchTallan » September 17th, 2018, 7:27 am

Chuck Miller wrote:
September 16th, 2018, 11:15 pm
MitchTallan wrote:
September 15th, 2018, 7:27 am
Yes, I have a bad habit of misspelling it Chuck, based on how most people pronounce it. Correcting my spelling is something of a jab, intimating that if I can't spell it I don't know what I am talking about. That's fine. I can take it. I've been cooking 20 briskets or so a year for 40 years. That's about 800 briskets unless you wish to correct my math. As to the cross-breeding, I can only repeat what my inside source tells me-he is an executive at a stockyard company (I believe-he is a bit secretive about it) and states that what he sells are purebred Wagyu unlike anyone else's. He explains that the problem with purebred Wagyu is that they grow slowly and don't have large breast meat. The market likes size. But to Tex's comment, that is the key-the grading is done at the prime rib. The grading is primarily based on marbling but there are many other aspects of the ribs that are examined having to do with the ossification and shape of the bones. The point being that the brisket quality will not always correlate with the appearance of the prime rib. Again, anyone who thinks that the USDA specifically examines and grades the briskets is mistaken. The producers themselves don't normally apply grades to their briskets. The distributors and and retailers do sometimes. Call the folks at Nebraska Beef who provide those briskets for Whole Foods/Amazon and ask them what grade that brisket they offer is and they will tell you the same thing I stated above.
Mitch, I did not mean to imply that you didn’t know what you are talking about. If some one misspells something once, it is often a typo. When it is repeated misspelled, I think it is worth a correction. Speaking of which, I did a little more research, and I was wrong in thinking that almost all domestic Wagyu cattle are crossbred. Apparently in the US there are around 30,000 cattle that are ‘wagyu influenced’ genetically, but fewer than 5,000 of them are purebred. But they do exist.
No hurt feelings or anger on my end Chuck. For starters, the "Btw, it is correctly spelled ______" is a quiver in my sleeve that I have used on others. So I have no business being angry about having it shot my way. I don't know a fraction of what many others do about Q. The subject matter of Costco is one that I have strong feelings about. I think that Costco gets far more in the way of accolades for value than they deserve and that it ought to be named CostCoBB for "Cost Conscious Buyer Beware". This I think I know; there is no sure thing with brisket. Even Snake River Farms most expensive briskets vary a bit from one to the next. They don't label their briskets "prime" or "choice" per se. They use "Black" and "Gold" instead. Here is a transcript of my "chat" with their rep just now;
McKenzie
Hi Mitchell!
Thanks for reaching out. How can we help?

You
Is it true that briskets are not graded Prime vs. Choice etc. and that the grading is done by the USDA at the rib? If so, is this why you provide labels like Black and Gold to your best briskets?

McKenzie
Correct, grading by the USDA is done at the rib section, however that grade is given to the entire carcass.
Briskets can have different grades, such as choice or prime. Our Wagyu products are graded on the Japanese Marbling Scale (BMS) and grade out higher than USDA prime

You
I understand, but it is not like some USDA inspector takes a look at the brisket section. At least in theory, a brisket from a choice steer could be better marbled than one from a Prime.

McKenzie
It's typically very consistent throughout the entire carcass, but there can be some variance.

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#516 Post by Alan Rath » September 17th, 2018, 1:27 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
September 17th, 2018, 5:48 am
For a long time I just bought the BGE labeled bags at my local ACE hardware. A little expensive, but I don't go through a lot. And frankly, I really like it. I've read that Royal Oak is the same as BGE, just labeled differently (I assume BGE buys it, and uses their own bag and label). A year or so ago Costco was doing the Kamodo Joe roadshow, and selling 2-packs of their charcoal. So I bought a couple (4 bags). Finally got into the first this summer, and to be honest, I prefer the BGE/Royal Oak. The Kamodo is all large chunks, no little pieces, which makes it hard to pack things relatively tightly (which I find is critical for a good long low temp burn). I haven't noticed any difference in the aroma or flavor between the Kamodo and BGE charcoal. Honestly, I would just buy what is cheapest and easiest to find.

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#517 Post by MitchTallan » September 17th, 2018, 2:14 pm

Honestly, I would just buy what is cheapest and easiest to find.
Personally, I would not go that far. There are some that should be avoided and there are differences.
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm
You can't go wrong with Royal Oak and Lowes/Home Depot carry it. Look for the orange bags.
There are ACE hardware stores everywhere (or so I thought) and since they now carry BGE, they should have BGE lump at a decent price.
Before I found a small artisinal producer of lump in Central PA, I preferred Rockwood, which I bought from Firecraft at five bags for $110 with free shipping.
I just checked and it appears that Firecraft no longer sells nearly as much stuff including Rockwood lump coal-looks like they are selling pellet-poopers only.

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#518 Post by Alan Rath » September 17th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Mitch, good point, what I meant was don't sweat it too much, as long as it's one of the quality products we're talking about here.

rfelthoven

#519 Post by rfelthoven » September 25th, 2018, 1:06 pm

I did my first set of plate ribs about a month ago and I don't think it was any better than a really kick ass brisket point.
Ron

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#520 Post by dcornutt » October 21st, 2018, 5:17 am

Trying my hand with my new RecTec 700 Bull smoker. This is my first attempt. Brisket. Texas style. Salt and pepper. A little garlic. 235F hickory smoke for about 14 hrs. 11lb Costco Prime brisket. ($3.60/lb. Great price.) Wrapped in the Texas Crutch at 170 and taken to 203F. Very tender. I didn't put any liquid in with the wrap. Worried about the bark. Bark was perfect. Meat was tender but maybe a little dry on the end of the flat. (Next time I will put some fluid in with the wrap.) Point was glorious. I appreciate any thoughts. This was almost too fatty in some ways. Choice makes a better brisket? I will tell you this was really delicious. The burnt ends are going to make some great beans.
brisket.jpg
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

G. Bienstock
GCC Member
GCC Member

#521 Post by G. Bienstock » October 21st, 2018, 5:41 pm

I fear brisket. It is the only BBQ or grill dish I have not fully mastered in 2 tries. The last one was tasty but too dry.

I will give it another go eventually and will add liquid in the foil and all will be well.
Glenn

Positive Rastaman Vibration

ITB 1999-2005

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#522 Post by Andrew Kotowski » October 21st, 2018, 7:39 pm

@Brian - have been using Jealous Devil hardwood lump and I really like it. 35lb bag, with big pieces and no crap. When I say hardwood, I mean I used some to start a fire in our fire pit and the stuff wouldn’t break down an hour later.

I’m done experimenting with briquettes. I get the arguments for consistency and cost, but I can taste the difference. Also don’t like all of the filler that gets left behind in my grill. God bless Chris Lily, but I have to disagree here.

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#523 Post by MitchTallan » October 21st, 2018, 7:52 pm

No reason to fear brisket if you a) have a smoker that will hold a steady temp and b) get to really know how your smoker behaves. I cooked a wagyu brisket this Saturday. I started at 8:00 pm on my 270 smoker at 215. It was cold, rainy, and windy but my 270 doesn't mind or waiver. Salt, pepper, and a little BPS Cash Cow. After 12 hours at 8:00 it was at 165 using my trusty orange Thermapen. I have tried all kinds of wraps and at this point I'm settled on laying my brisket on a shallow rack in a large aluminum foil pan which I seal on top with a single large sheet of heavy duty foil. I hike the temp up slightly to 240 and go three hours. No liquid. I was then up to 200 and then I laid it back in naked for an hour at 220 just to dry up the bark a bit. Then it went into our oven covered in towels just to rest for two hours. Super tender, not pot roast. Sliced perfectly. Money.

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#524 Post by dcornutt » October 22nd, 2018, 2:35 am

Thanks for this idea Mitch.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

G. Bienstock
GCC Member
GCC Member

#525 Post by G. Bienstock » October 23rd, 2018, 9:07 am

Thanks from me too, I like the pan and rack idea better than just foil.
Glenn

Positive Rastaman Vibration

ITB 1999-2005

Mike Davila
GCC Member
GCC Member

#526 Post by Mike Davila » November 22nd, 2018, 7:56 pm

Smoked Turkey, memorable, really good!
The pink is from the smoke.
B46830E8-25BA-4730-B478-2BAD7A72C2CC.jpeg
F351CA17-4807-44C6-858D-38D503B6B492.jpeg

Mike Davila
GCC Member
GCC Member

#527 Post by Mike Davila » December 10th, 2018, 6:02 pm

Pulled pork for the company potluck.
9 lb shoulder took 12 hours at 225 and cooked to 194, wrapped in foil and kept in a ice chest for one hour.
Bone slid right out.
ABA2FD89-6B40-4710-B937-9FB6A8958B40.jpeg
1203D9E3-96EE-430D-94A6-C9DC71E8A151.jpeg
Not sure why these rotated

Christine Huang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#528 Post by Christine Huang » January 23rd, 2019, 6:00 am

Has anyone here smoked a whole duck? Any pointers before I dive in and put one on my BGE?

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#529 Post by MitchTallan » January 24th, 2019, 3:34 pm

Christine Huang wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 6:00 am
Has anyone here smoked a whole duck? Any pointers before I dive in and put one on my BGE?
I have. I don't think 'mercan smoking (i.e. redneck good-ol boy backyard Q) is good with duck. I don't know the Chinese Camphor smoking process and my efforts to smoke duck with fruit wood just results in an acrid fatty smoky duck. I love duck but I think high heat roasting is best. My best duck effort on the BGE was along these lines; I have a 3" thick slab of sandstone I use as a pizza brick-custom made for the BGE. I cut out the back bone and marinate two halves of the duck in pomegranate juice. I then reduced the marinade to a syrupy consistency with lots of fresh cracked pepper and layer the duck halves bone side down on the 600+ degree hot pizza stone and then flipped to get the skin crisp every three minutes and finished with the pomegranate syrup. Sorry to digress on you. If you find out the way to camphor smoke duck on a BGE or some other great method, please share Christine. There's always this; https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tea ... pe-2117630

Christine Huang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#530 Post by Christine Huang » January 26th, 2019, 10:39 am

MitchTallan wrote:
January 24th, 2019, 3:34 pm
Christine Huang wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 6:00 am
I have. I don't think 'mercan smoking (i.e. redneck good-ol boy backyard Q) is good with duck. I don't know the Chinese Camphor smoking process and my efforts to smoke duck with fruit wood just results in an acrid fatty smoky duck. I love duck but I think high heat roasting is best. My best duck effort on the BGE was along these lines; I have a 3" thick slab of sandstone I use as a pizza brick-custom made for the BGE. I cut out the back bone and marinate two halves of the duck in pomegranate juice. I then reduced the marinade to a syrupy consistency with lots of fresh cracked pepper and layer the duck halves bone side down on the 600+ degree hot pizza stone and then flipped to get the skin crisp every three minutes and finished with the pomegranate syrup. Sorry to digress on you. If you find out the way to camphor smoke duck on a BGE or some other great method, please share Christine. There's always this; https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tea ... pe-2117630
Thanks Mitch. I wondered about the fat. For Camphor Duck, I actually never make it but my aunts do. They roast the duck first and then theyline a wok with foil, put the smoking ingredients on the foil with some added sugar as it smokes well, put the lid on, heavy duty foil around the whole thing to seal it, and smoke it briefly that way. Ive tasted the results - it works well.

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#531 Post by JDavisRoby » February 2nd, 2019, 6:47 am

Smoking a pork shoulder this weekend for a small Super Bowl party we’re hosting. Plan on doing tacos. I have a Weber Kettle but will put this in my Traeger. It’s just too easy and less opportunity for disaster when hosting company.

I am looking for ideas on a rub. Any ideas?

Scott Fitzgerald
GCC Member
GCC Member

#532 Post by Scott Fitzgerald » February 2nd, 2019, 7:03 am

JDavisRoby wrote:
February 2nd, 2019, 6:47 am
Smoking a pork shoulder this weekend for a small Super Bowl party we’re hosting. Plan on doing tacos. I have a Weber Kettle but will put this in my Traeger. It’s just too easy and less opportunity for disaster when hosting company.

I am looking for ideas on a rub. Any ideas?
I use a lot of John Henry’s pecan rub. Easy to find at many BBQ retailer. Unless you were asking for something homemade...
CT: BigTex22

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#533 Post by JDavisRoby » February 2nd, 2019, 7:08 am

I have a homemade recipe that I use historically. Looking for something new just to get out of the rut. Will check out John Henry at the bbq store today. I’ve also used Hasty Bake’s original flavor rub and it’s pretty good.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”