Any Tea Aficionados Out There?

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Troy Stark

Re: Any Tea Aficionados Out There?

#151 Post by Troy Stark » February 26th, 2019, 4:09 pm

Mike Grammer wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 12:13 pm
It does seem that we have some Da Hong Pao (Red Robe) mafia in this thread ;)
Indeed! Its almost like the people who post here enjoy "the best" life has to offer. :D
Insta: @lofiwineguy

Troy Stark

#152 Post by Troy Stark » February 26th, 2019, 5:52 pm

Speaking of red robe, has anyone ever had "The Red Robe," i.e. tea from the mother plants? I think all tea labeled red robe is supposed to be from bushes grown in the province that were propagated from the mother plants, but who knows if that ends up being true...

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#153 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » February 27th, 2019, 6:43 pm

Jay Miller wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 11:22 am
Troy Stark wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 9:22 am
Herbal drinks = not tea
Flavored teas = gross

Aside from that, I enjoy most teas and what I drink will depend on my mood. I lean toward high-quality loose leaf teas. Love walking into asian tea shops and tasting gongfu style.

Particular favorites include oolong (esp: red robe), aged pu'er (we have a 20 year that is divine), jasmine pearls, and any spring tea I can get my hands on.
Flavored coffee is gross but I'll admit to loving a good Earl Greay.
The chemical taste of flavored coffee is awful. A local shop “specializes” in flavored coffees. I bought some filters from there in a moment of desperation, I threw them out after the first use.

Alan Huang

#154 Post by Alan Huang » February 27th, 2019, 10:20 pm

Troy Stark wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 5:52 pm
Speaking of red robe, has anyone ever had "The Red Robe," i.e. tea from the mother plants? I think all tea labeled red robe is supposed to be from bushes grown in the province that were propagated from the mother plants, but who knows if that ends up being true...
My understanding is that there are only single digit bushes of the original "mother plants" left and they are so rare that the tea produced from those mother plants is given to government official or someone extremely important. You can't even buy it with money.

However, there are a lot of different varietal of the Da Hong Pao (over 100), including RouGui, ShuiXian, QinChai (direct translation from Chinese words), with quite a different flavor profile.

If it's labeled Da Hong Pao, very likely no one really knows what varietal is (i.e. could be mixed). However, if it has a label of a specific varietal, very likely it's more pure and come from a plot of land with single varietal of Da Hong Pao planted. The caveat is that there are a lot of fake tea and labeling in China... Some merchants even pass off FengHuangDanCong (direct translation; literally means single bush of phoenix) as Da Hong Pao. You can tell by the intensity, flavor and smokiness of the tea.

The thing with Da Hong Pao is that there is no labeling of specific plot of land, except producer. Similar to Burgundy wine, you just have to know and get it from a trusted source.

My favourite varietal is the RouGui (literally mean cinnamon) with explosive fragrance and aroma of cinnamon, cream, dried herbs and fruits, and silky oak, followed by extremely long length of floral note and hint of sweetness. It's very addictive and you can drink it anytime of the day/night.

Troy Stark

#155 Post by Troy Stark » February 28th, 2019, 5:12 am

Alan, great post. Thanks for all the excellent info you've offered in this thread.

One last question. Since we all don't have relatives in the tea trade ;) do you have any suggestions for places the rest of us can source authentic Da Hong Pao, etc?

Jim Friedman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#156 Post by Jim Friedman » February 28th, 2019, 6:43 am

https://www.mariagefreres.com/UK/2-robe ... T2310.html

I have been ordering tea from here since last year. Their selection is incredible so I thought I would test them. Is this it?

Alan Huang

#157 Post by Alan Huang » March 4th, 2019, 8:36 am

Troy Stark wrote:
February 28th, 2019, 5:12 am
Alan, great post. Thanks for all the excellent info you've offered in this thread.

One last question. Since we all don't have relatives in the tea trade ;) do you have any suggestions for places the rest of us can source authentic Da Hong Pao, etc?
I have to admit... I usually don't walk into a tea shop and when I do, I typically go to the ones in Vancouver where there is no online sale.

I would be more than happy to do a tea tasting with anyone who is interested in tea (in the West coast areas). Also would love to learn more about tea from India as well!

Mike Grammer

#158 Post by Mike Grammer » March 4th, 2019, 12:49 pm

I've *never* had a Da Hong Pao that smells or tastes like the RouGui you cite---that sounds uber-wow. I do have a trusted source here in Toronto that I convinced to source in some fairly decent-quality DHP. If I'm in NYC, I tend to try to visit Radiance and get some from them.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”