Wolf Induction Problem

I installed two Wolf induction cooktops in my new house. I love them, EXCEPT when trying to sear or fry foods, they shut off for several minutes! I believe that there is a sensor that shuts them off when the surface reaches a preset temperature. Neither dealer or mfg. have been at all helpful. Please tell me that I am not stuck with this piece of shit that is only suitable for boiling.

No help from the dealer or manufacturer? That doesn’t sound good. I’m looking into a Wolf Duel Fuel range and I had heard many good things about customer support.

Keep us posted please.

I think the Wolf Induction ceremony is a bit goofy.

Well, this is how a Wolf Cub becomes a Bear Cub if I have it right.

Yes. That certainly looks problematic.

rolleyes

Bruce,

I did some research for you, and it looks like it might be a Wolf issue. Here is a small thread on the issue:

http://forums.consumerreports.org/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=cr-ranges&tid=212" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are the openings a standard size where you can replace the Wolf’s with another brand?

Ouch! He just . . . and I mean JUST . . . finished building this house after his old one burned down in the San Diego fires a couple of years ago.

Yes, I know. I have been visiting the site all during the construction. His house is absolutely beautiful. And, knowing Bruce like I do, I think he would be more interested in a practical solution at this point, rather than me giving advice on what to do with Wolf. Might be wrong, but that’s what I was going for.

Oh, and I would expect the retailer he bought them at to swap them out for full credit!

If that happens, I sure hope he’s got a gas line in that kitchen somewhere. I’m guessing it at least goes to the pizza oven - unless it’s wood-burning, that is. If not, since most houses in SoCal are built on slabs, he’s likely gonna be stuck with electric for the cooktops.

Update on this saga: I initially got in touch with the retailer from whom I bought the two Wolf units with my complaint. She forwarded it to the SoCal Wolf/SubZero distributor who forwarded it to the US technical staff for Wolf (cordially keeping me in the loop all along). And all along, expressing surprise that the unit would do this. Word back from the technical staff was that built in thermal protection for the glass top was the cause and that they would look into software programming changes. They seemed surprised that this was a problem and acted as if I was the first to complain of this (not the case). They actually suggested that I alternate the skillet between burners (already tried. . .very partial fix and it was VERY inconvenient). Most recently the regional service manager and the retailer have offered to replace the two burner induction unit with a two burner radiant cooktop at no charge to me, which should not have this problem. It fits the same opening as does the induction. I have asked to try out the radiant cooktop with my skillet and my meat in another setting before I give the go ahead. I am very happy with the induction in all other cooking tasks.

Steve, thanks for the links. . .I don’t feel so alone!

Bob, the pizza oven is wood burning (nothing personal) only. I would have liked to have gas in the island; however, SoCal code prohibits LP lines through the slab. I would have had to bring the LP line down from the ceiling, but chose not to for esthetic reasons. I did place an outward sloping channel in the slab from outside to under the island; so, that if at a later date I wanted to add LP from beneath, I could. The outward slope would prevent LP accumulation under the slab in the event of a leak.

Ah, yes. While I don’t understand why LP would be different from natural gas, I’d forgotten you’re not in a place where there’s likely to be a NG line.

While I don’t understand why LP would be different from natural gas

It’s heavier than NG and, like some of my best acquaintances, seeks low places. Their reasoning, if I can understand it correctly, it could potentially accumulate under the slab the blow your house up. Why they don’t believe that it could accumulate under a cabinet and do the same thing, I do not understand. Possibly a pipe in the slab, or going into the slab, is more subject to shear in an earthquake. I dunno. I’ll post a pic later today.

Not much different from what happened last time.