OK - Now this is serious

As some of you may know, the Governor of Texas has decided to share the burden of dealing with Asylum seekers but putting them on buses and dropping them off at the Port Authority building in New York. I have volunteered to provide meals for the next bus load or 2 or 5. The problem is that the meals have to be cold “grab and go” meals. My approach to cooking for charity has always been that I would never serve to a hungry person something that I would not be prepared to serve to my family for a regular meal. I’m not used to doing this cold. I always serve hot meals. In addition, the organizers prefer “culturally-appropriate” meals for Central and south Americans.

I need ideas for what I can prepare and serve in take-away plastic containers cold and I need them fast, because although the Friday bus arrivals are covered, I will probably be providing food for the Sunday arrivals. I may be able to arrange to set up steam tables and serve hot meals, but that will be for later buses.

PS - Ideas for kids meals would also be appreciated. PB&J is too easy and simple, but kids love it. I am going to go to someplace like Party City and put a little toy in each kid’s meal.

4 Likes

Well assuming you are doing sandwiches my .02 is

1. I think moisture is key to a cold sandwich. Three ways to have good moisture is roasted red peppers, fresh mozzarella, summer tomatoes, and mayonnaise

2. tuna fish. Can be a great cold sandwich but obviously spoilage , etc.

Bless you

I think the comment above is spot on about the roasted red peppers and moisture in general.
I also think a wrap is far easier to eat than a sandwich especially standing or moving.
So back to somewhat culturally familiar flavors and ease of assembly.
Costco sells the rotisserie chicken in bags ready to go for salads and sandwiches.
Squirt mayo for the glue, layer in the chicken, roasted peppers, shredded cheese (several come to mind, Monterey jack, queso Chihuahua style, mozzarella) some form of crunchy marinated vegetable, wrap then wrap in food film cut in half do a second food film wrap and you’re done. Probably has a refrigerated shelf life of a couple of days and can be assembly lined easier than a sandwich.

Great question…I have done this in the past for “camp lunches”. One of the favorites (healthy, easy to fix, and very filling) is chicken with an avocado spread. I used Baggets or Hogie rolls and pre cooked rotisserie chicken. The large portion of bread (Hogie rolls) are very filling. Just a thought…and thanks for what you are doing.

How about a jicama salad on the side?

Tamales wrapped in banana leaf?

A common lunch plate can have rice, beans, plantains, and some sort of protein. I think you could also assemble that same protein and beans into a sandwich with a side dish or fruit.

We are not doing sandwiches because, as I said above, my approach to cooking for charity has always been that I would never serve to a hungry person something that I would not be prepared to serve to my family for a regular meal.

We have a recipe for a cold chicken/rice/black beans salad and we will serve that with side accoutrements. Once we get the lay of the land at the first delivery, we may shift to hot meals if we can pull it off. Thanks for the expressions of support.

1 Like

Your family is too good for sandwiches? How Un-American!

Jay,
You are a good mensch ! champagne.gif

1 Like

I get your point about not wanting to serve something you wouldn’t want… but portability of a sandwich, no need for utensils, etc. Fill it with quality chicken, cheese, beans and so on and I think you’ll get your mitzvah…

The idea of feeding PB&J sandwiches to people who have just spent 2 days on a bus after being evicted from Texas is unacceptable. I am having enough trouble dealing with the fact that I cannot serve them a hot meal.

Easy for me is not my standard. I ask myself what would I want to get in their situation? Real food put together by someone who cared, with utensils and the ability to sit down and eat without scarfing down a sandwich while standing. We are definitely on for Sunday and I will scope out the logistics to see if we can do a better job next time.

Brah, who is talking about PB&J?

Lol the idea of wanting to help people that need it but “sandwiches aren’t up to my uppity standards” is hilarious.

God forbid someone suggest a burrito to Mr Michelin here.

Are you trying to help these people to actually help or or to pad your ego? Guarantee none of them is going to be critiquing your gastrique.

A few random thoughts. Jay that is a very nice of you, like welcome to NYC, all are welcome here. Andrew is that bacon I see? Yum. If a hot meal is a priority you could hire a good food truck and give vouchers to each person on the bus, although I know it’s not the same as preparing yourself.

Apropos of nothing really, but does anyone happen to know if there’s a Czech word that roughly translates to douche-nozzle?

1 Like

“Baryla”.

You’re welcome.

3 Likes

Chili and cornbread or rice. No spice.

Merits of sandwiches or proper sit down meals aside - is there an umbrella org you are working through to help? wouldn’t mind pitching in in some way.