Pain in the @$$ instant ramen

I’ve had some off the “high end” ones from the Asian Market that have several steps. They are definitely a step up from the .20 cent ones. Strictly for when you need a salt infusion though.

Amateurs.

Any that you like?
Not ramen, but I’ve liked the Taiwanese sesame and chili noodles.

Not to further disinterest Victor here and I know that they mostly come in hard-to-translate packages, but what/how much are the “high end” ones? I just want to check if the crap I bought before I completely stopped buying years ago were considered “high end”.
:slight_smile:

I enjoy the Nongshim Shin line (black) as well as the Prima Taste lineup (Laksa, Curry). Pretty easy to make, takes 10 mins and I can slice and dump in whatever I grilled/smoked for dinner the night before.

Maybe ~4 bucks as I remember.

I haven’t been to the Asian markets since Covid and I can’t honestly remember now which ones I preferred. Might be a fun experiment to try again.

I eat it 3 or 4 times a week. I use leftover protein and sometimes vegetables (grilled usually) then scallions, jalopeno broccoli squash, whatever quick cooking vege i have around. When I can get to the Viet market, I buy a bag of bean sprouts and baby bok choy to add. I may do the vegetables separately with a little soup base then combine them with the below.
I usualy buy the $1.29 Nissin variety (used to be below a buck before the latest round of inflation). It’s the “varietal” type, spicy chicken, spicy shrimp, spicy beef or the “blazing hot” flavor. Sometimes I get the Shin black, but the calorie count on that is higher. I sometimes do the pho bowls if i have access to thai basil etc. to zip it up. I kind of have a system down and mix in a larger bowl since I add quite a few vegetables.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried the Momofuku noodles? I saw an ad for them recently and was tempted.

The taiwanese ones run about $2-3 a pack. THe japanese bowled ones (like OP post) run around $4-5 a bowl. I think the taiwanese ones are pretty awesome and near restaurant level in flavor which is crazy but they are dry noodles opposed to soup.

1 Like

i like the traditional dan dan and the onion noodle

will find the other brand I eat too online (I just get them at the market)

One of the most famous ones and got into the US market first (you can find a crappier version of their mass market ones at Costco, but not as good)

THey also do really nice ones but they dont’ make it to the US - like a taiwanese beef noodle version

While we’re on the subject I like the frozen Sun Noodle Miso Ramen

For $5 a bowl, Victor needs them to be able to make themselves. [snort.gif]

Yes. They are very good. My 15 year old granddaughter loves them above all other brands at her house.
I had some for lunch today with leftover beef tenderloin and sauteed onions.

Nice, I haven’t seen that one. Frozen udon got me through the pandemic, lol.

They have the Momofuku at Target. I do like them in a pinch but don’t think I’d build a real meal around, but would have loved them in college. They are very easy to make :slight_smile:

Todays lunch, fiery beef Nissin
9079921D-3A34-4994-A96F-D856FB29C2F4.jpeg

Momofuku brand is really just straight noodles though, rather than a noodle/broth combo. Target is totally the way to go with those, as they’re way cheaper than ordering from Chang direct.

Thanks for the info. Just spent $60 on a variety pack from Chang’s website. While the noodles are pretty good quality, $60 for a twenty pack seems a little overkill!

1 Like

The Nissin black garlic flavor is my favorite. Frustratingly, it’s available only intermittently. Like others here, I add stuff to it: green onion; cabbage; daikon; cilantro; occasionally carrot.