Guts and Glory

Last week’s Economist magazine had an article on andouillettes, which contained one of the finest lines of food writing it has been my pleasure to read:

“… a mediocre hot dog is still a hot dog. A mediocre andouillette is botched abdominal surgery on a plate”.

Dan Kravitz

2 Likes

I ordered the thing in Paris despite the waiter’s attempt to warn me so it was a matter of pride to choke the thing down even though I told my wife “I feel like I just ate the men’s room”.

2 Likes

When you, my wife, and I dined together in Paris, as the 2010 Icelandic volcano concerns left travellers stranded throughout Europe, my wife ordered this against my warnings.
She persisted, and then regretted. You and I laughed.

Yikes. when I googled andouillettes, the images didn’t appear too terrible. But wow, the regular search……“foul tasting” “urine smelling”

It appears that andouillettes are similar to the Chinchulínes I have had in Argentina and Uruguay. They aren’t my favorite and if they aren’t selected and cooked probably, one bite is more than enough. They are a starter course in many Latin American countries. They are the beef small intestine. They may be grilled or fried. In some countries, chunchullo is grilled over wood or charcoal. In Colombia, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay, Peru and Chile, however, it is usually roasted. About the only seasoning that is done is a little salt and a little lemon juice.

Some years ago, while having dinner in Tours with my sons, the second (18 at the time) ordered andouillette for his main course. As it was his first time in France, I told him it’s different from those he’s had before (e.g., Cajun andouille in the US, the toned-down andouillettes a couple of French chef friends occasionally make in Manila, etc.). He insisted on ordering it anyway. He obviously found it way too strange/funky. I told him to just ditch it and order something else; but he ate most of it anyway (I’m sure just to save face).
4E6950F1-F852-4FEA-9151-3CDD3D7DC91A.jpeg

Do you then order durian fruit for dessert ?

In France? I don’t believe they have any there - not that we’d ever. Stuff smells like dead rat.