VADOUVAN RICE

in memoriam Ingo Holland

Ingo Holland was a legendary spice dealer „Altes Gewürzamt“ or I would rather say „spice affineur“ in Germany and died much too early in his 60s a few days ago. No Top restaurant and no ambitious home chef in Germany without his spices. For that reason I will post a recipe from his book „Gewürze“ or „spice“ and use the french-indian Vadouvan spice which he introduced around 10-20 years ago for the first time to Germany.
I should also mention that he was a former cook.

It’s definitely my new favorite rice recipe together with my lemongrass-rice. You can serve it with fish, seafood, poultry and of course vegetables. Your apartment/house will smell like 1001 night, promised.

Ingredients

250g basmati rice

2 tbsp Vadouvan

2-3 tbsp olive oil

1 shallot, chopped

1 garlic clove, chopped

250g ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped

625ml chicken/vegetable broth

1 tsp turmeric

1 tsp nigella seeds

Preparation

1. Cook the chopped onion and garlic softly in olive oil until translucent in a Le Creuset/Staub cocotte. Pre-heat the oven to 200 C or 400 F

IMG_1108.jpg

2. Add Vadouvan spice and cook for 2-3min

IMG_1109.jpg

3. Then add roughly chopped tomatoes and cook for 2-3min

IMG_1110.jpg

4. Now add the rice and cook for 5min

IMG_1111.jpg

5. After 5min add broth and turmeric, also salt and combine. Bring to boil

IMG_1113.jpg

6. Sprinkle the nigella seeds. Don’t combine anymore!. And immediately add a lid. Put in the oven for exactly 15min

IMG_1114.jpg

7. Remove from the oven after 15min and let it rest for 2-3-4min with lid. Serve

IMG_1115.jpg

1 Like

Cooked this tonight, amazing flavour…thank you for another great recipe, Martin.

1 Like