Muhammara - I love this stuff

There used to be a buffet restaurant in the basement of the Citicorp Center that had this red pureed dip that I loved. They refused to tell me what it was called or how to make it. Zip forward a decade and somehow - I do not recall - I discovered that it was Muhammara, a Middle Eastern “dip.” Roasted red peppers, toasted walnuts, bread crumbs for depth, olive oil and spices. Put in blender and blend until it is the consistency that you like.

I made it a few days ago. I did not have enough red peppers, so I roasted one red, one yellow and one orange pepper, 3/4 pound of walnuts, fresh toasted cumin and berber peppers, olive oil. WONDERFUL. Be creative and spice it however you want. I was going to add a bit of tomato paste as suggested in some recipes, but I forgot. Next time.

6 Likes

Agreed, one of my favorite dips. Reem Assil, who runs Reem’s, a wonderful Arab restaurant in San Francisco, just came out with a cookbook with a great recipe for it: Arabiyya by Reem Assil: 9781984859075 | PenguinRandomHouse.com: Books

Lots of other good stuff in there too. The chard-tahini dip has become one of the standouts.

Thanks. Great. I love Arab food and they have the book at the library.

1 Like

another good one is ajvar, roasted red peppers and eggplant, a Serbian dish.

Yes. They used to sell that in jars at Morton and Williams in NY City and I used to buy it and eat it for lunch. However, it seems to have disappeared from the shelves. It’s not that I am a vegetarian, but you can make some really good stuff with veggies.

There’s a dish in the Zahav cookbook based on eggplant and red peppers that is called twice cooked eggplant. Very tasty.

Love Muhammara too. If you make it to Seattle, there’s a place in Ballard that (used to ??) make a fantastic version – Cafe Munir.

In Seattle you can get the Mamnoon version. OMFG so good! Met Market and a few others have it.

I think that pomegranate molasses is a component as well.

Such a great cookbook.

1 Like

Count me as another fan. Mahummara seems to have regional differences. Sometimes the walnuts are chunkier. Some versions are sweeter. I like it when pomegranate molasses is used. Carousel in Hollywood makes my favorite version.

https://www.phoeniciabirmingham.com/dinner

It’s on the menu at the restaurant we are going to tonight. I will let you know.

Report—It was excellent. The pomegranate seeds gave it a good texture.

Thanks for this, Eric. Grabbed one today.

Hope you are well!

1 Like

I still haven’t made the signature lamb shoulder, but that’s my next challenge. Unfortunately, the instructions for the smoking step are poor.

I just checked - I’ve got the kindle version of the book and the smoking step isn’t even in there! Really the whole recipe seems just thrown together. Quite disjointed.

NY Times Cooking has a fantastic recipe. I just use roasted red peppers from a jar.

Jay - if you get to Brooklyn, go to Damascus bakery on Atlantic. It’s next to Sahadi’s but they actually make their dips. Grandma used to, but she’s passed on now. And their pita is fresh three times a day. I used to go there all the time and that’s where I fell in love with that dip.