Spaghetti LAUREL WREATH (by Sophia Loren)

Here we have another divine pasta dish by Sophia Loren and her book „In the Kitchen with Love“ published in 1972. The original version „in cucina con amore“ was published in 1971.

Sophia Loren met this pasta dish at a friend’s home when he gave a dinner to celebrate her Oscar in 1961 for Two Women. Instead of offering her a victor`s laurel crown, the friend choose to serve her Spaghetti with bay leaves at the table. It was such a great tradeoff that she insisted having the recipe from the host.

I served it yesterday on the countryside with a wonderful elegant Brunello 2004 Il Poggione. BTW, the 2004er needs 1h air.

Ingredients

300-500g Spaghetti

400-500g San Marzano tomatoes, canned or fresh

12 fresh bay leaves

1 red onion or 2 shallots, sliced

1/2 tsp grounded cinnamon

knob butter

olive oil

salt&pepper

pinch Pecorino romano

Preparation

\

1. Heat olive oil and a knob of butter and add sliced onions. Cook until transparent

\
  2. Now add the peeled tomatoes

\
  3. Also add the bay leaves and cinnamon. In addition salt&pepper. Cook for 15-25min.

\
  4. Combine the sauce with the cooked pasta. Serve with a little bit (!) of Pecorino Romano and optional with a touch olive oil. AND serve with a good Italian wine of course. SPLENDIDO

IMG_0911.jpg
1 Like

love the simplicity of this, reminds me of the Marcella Hazan basic tomato sauce.

going to make yours this weekend

1 Like

Yes, that’s true.

BTW, due to technical reasons I cooked the sauce 24h before and re-heated it. You might think 24h is too much for so much bay leaves, but no. Really no bitterness whatsoever, instead a sublime flavor.

Glad you mentioned, ill follow that plan

That sauce sounds very interesting.

I only have dried bay leaves, and a quick web check says 1 fresh bay leaf = 2 dried.

1 Like

24 dry bay leaves is maybe too much. Just use 12.

P.S.

someone told me he loves bay leave-ice cream. So, there is room for experiments. haha