I'm about to be overrun by zucchini...

My wife and I planted five zucchini this spring. It appears they are all going to survive, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

The bad news is we’re going to be drowning in zucchini very soon.

My favorite way to eat zucchini is to cut them into spears, spray with olive oil and a dash of Hitching Post magic dust, and throw them on the grill. Another favorite method is to slice them into ribbons and lightly sauté in butter, parmesan and pine nuts.

Any other favorite zucchini recipes? I don’t mind turning on the oven or stovetop.

1 Like

PXL_20210807_233558601.jpg
IMG_20190521_192113.jpg
IMG_1374.JPG

2 Likes

Tricky veg. It’s a bit like tofu-dishes - I’ve yet to find a single zucchini dish that woo’s me. I don’t dislike them, just never captures me, somehow. The tempura ones come the closest.

Zucchini , zucchini blossom and goat cheese frittata before heading into the oven
F6AA7F06-1D63-4870-8CA9-6F3318F07ADD.jpg

1 Like

We make a layered casserole of sliced (length-wise) zucchini, tomatoes and onions, topped with cheese (cheddar, jack, a combo, or whatever you like).

1 Like

Zucchini is a “one plant per family” sort of deal–but damn I love them. Pancakes are great. You can actually freeze grated zucchini before cooking, or you can cook zucchini pancakes and freeze those suckers. (They heat up quickly and easily in a toaster oven.)

1 Like

Agreed, Eric LeVine, and usually two of or three ours don’t make it. I guess that prize goes to our Roma tomatoes, which are down 50%.

Chocolate Zucchini Cake is a perennial favorite of mine.

1 Like

I make Ina’s goat cheese zucchini tart often. About the easiest dish possible and pretty variable. I take a page from either milk street or cooks and microwave the zucchini to partially dehydrate them so they don’t throw off so much moisture on the tart. I also use the regular old premade pastry to cut down on the advance prep time.

1 Like

Makes a ‘wonderful’ gift for neighbors!

1 Like

Zucchini fritters take some work, but they’re yummy.

I also like Alton Brown’s zucchini ribbon salad.

1 Like

That’s interesting I had not thought of that. It doesn’t make them mushy?

I normally just grate, salt, and then leave in a colander for a while, pressing every now and then, to reduce water.

I’d bet it would work well as a component in homemade giardiniera. Which is definitely a worthy project, and quicker than you think, if you are planning to eat it fresh and don’t need to can.

Zucchini pickles can be good, I used to have a friend who made some nice spicy ones.

1 Like

I don’t need a zucchini dish, I’m happy eating them all summer long simply sauteed in garlic infused olive oil, or with a little curry powder, or sprinkled with feta, mint and a little goat cheese. Then I have the leftovers for breakfast topped with eggs and smoked salmon.

1 Like

Sounds yum

Deb Perelman’s Ultimate Zucchini Bread is outstanding, and is my go to recipe when I’m dealing with a surfeit of zucchini from the CSA. Even zucchini haters love this.

2 Likes

We like to slice them and sauté with a little bit of shallot, add some fresh diced tomatoes and then serve over pasta with a dollop of ricotta cheese

1 Like

Not zucchini, but we have a cucuzza squash drill team in our holiday parade…
14DF3D7C-5639-45E6-9FFD-005259AF65CC.jpeg

2 Likes

I have at least 8 Zucchini plants this year, so I am really in for it. Keep the ideas coming.

I like to drop some saffron in chicken stock, and then saute the zucchini, finishing with the saffron infused stock.

My wife makes Zucchini enchiladas and zucchini ribbon salad throughout the summer.

Another frequent dish for black beauty, golden yellow, Costata Romanesco is cutting the zucchini in half, scooping out part of the inside, roasting, and then filling with ground pork or turkey. Depending on spice, we sometimes top with grated cheese and put back under the broiler.

1 Like

I’ve obviously had it wrong. All these things sound delish!