TWEC (TM) Canada Day Return to Langdon Hall

Foodies,

The Toronto Wine Elitist Cabal ™ returned to the hallowed grounds of Langdon Hall in Cambridge, Ontario for a Canada Day weekend lunch. I joined fellow TWEC ™ members Michael Grammer and Michael Wright. The day was incredibly beautiful, sunny and warm. We chose to dine outside in the spacious patio area behind the main building under a natural canopy provided by a 120 year old tree. Check out the beautiful grounds below.

20220703_142140.jpg
20220703_142135.jpg
20220703_142118.jpg
20220703_142109.jpg
20220703_142102.jpg
We received a pair of complimentary amouse-bouches to start off with. A stuffed Midjool date and a deviled egg made with eggs collected from Langdon Hall’s own chickens.

20220703_144119.jpg
20220703_144134.jpg
20220703_144407.jpg
We started out with a trio of appetizers. I had the Eggplant Purée which was accompanied by pickled eggplant, garlic confit, pressed yogurt, and dressed with a sweet marjoram vinaigrette.

20220703_144858.jpg
Mr. Grammer had the Orchard Apple. An apple grown in Langdon Hall’s own orchard is roasted and served with fresh cheese, lemon balm gel, and fresh lemon verbena.

20220703_144846.jpg
Mr. Wright had the Chilled Lobster. It was served with coconut foam, passion fruit coulis, and fresh baby cilantro.

20220703_144852.jpg
For our mains, I had the Beverly Creek Lamb. Lamb belly and lamb tenderloin are roasted and served with garden sweet peas grown from Langdon Hall’s garden, purée made from the same peas and chamomile jus.

20220703_151454.jpg
Mr. Grammer had the Ora King Salmon. Ora King Salmon is known as the “Wagyu of the Sea” due to its superb fat marbling and delicate flavor. It is served with Holland marsh leeks, ox-eye daisy capers, and brown butter hazelnuts.

20220703_151501.jpg
Mr. Wright had the Sea Scallops. They were accompanied by house garden grown beets served three ways: as a white beet purée, glazed beets, and a beetroot cream.

20220703_151522.jpg
For our desserts, Mr. Grammer and I had the Pot de Crème. Langdon Hall’s own formulated dark chocolate is used to make a classic pot de crème which is served with dulce de leche crumble and topped with malted milk ice cream. Mr. Wright scoffed at the chocolate desserts and proceeded to explain to both Mike and I how much he disliked the flavor of chocolate and how he could care less for the stuff. He obviously must’ve suffered some tragic trauma as a child we were previously unaware of that resulted in permanent brain damage. There is simply no other logical explanation for his aversion to chocolate. I mean, just look at this chocolatey gloriousness below. Who could turn that down?

20220703_160626.jpg
Instead, Mr. Wright chose the Petite Lemon Sweets. Warm lemon cakes filled with fresh lemon curd were served with fresh lemon crinkle cookies. How common. And non-chocolatey. He says they were good.

20220703_160605.jpg
For our wines, Mr. Grammer brought a Francois Cotat 2018 Cul de Beaujeu. This is a mind-blowingly complex unfiltered Sancerre with a lot happening. Very perfumed vanilla scent on the nose. Incredibly strong tropical fruit notes with a very creamy body. A touch of sweetness comes out when the wine gets warmer. A chill in an ice bucket brings out the minerality. This is ripe but not overripe like California Sauvignon Blanc. The mouthfeel is incredibly smooth. Landon Hall’s sommelier told us this is what he imagines an Alsacian Sauvignon Blanc would be like if they made any. Now I love me some refreshing, crisp and herbal New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc myself, but this wine really made reconsider everything I know and love about Sauvignon Blanc. I must acquire more of this! A stupendous wine.

20220703_144333.jpg
Mr. Wright purchased the Benjamin Leroux 2016 Chassagne-Montrachet 1ere Cru Les Embazées. This was a classic style C-M, rich on the palate with a dense mouthfeel and intense green apple flavors mellowed out by crème fraiche flavors. Mr. Wright classified it as more of an evening wine to be served with dinner.

20220703_152858.jpg
My contribution was a Sandeman 40 Year Old Tawny Port. I felt we should have something special to mark our return to Langdon Hall. However, both Michaels felt it was too hot outside to be indulging such a high-end Port so we agreed to save it for a dinner at a later time.

And so concludes our return to beautiful Langdon Hall. TWEC ™ would like to thank the kitchen and floor staff as well as Langdon Hall’s resident sommelier Steven who visited our table frequently.

20220703_163932.jpg

1 Like

Thanks Tran–I posted my wine notes over in Wine Talk and will duplicate them here. Excellent photos and descriptions of everything, as always. I think Michael’s scallops won the day for me for best food

Tran Bronstein, Michael Wright and I enjoyed a perfect mid-afternoon’s weather for lunch at one of our favourite out-of-town locations, Langdon Hall. It was a pleasure to dine with my two friends. Michael generously ordered something off the fine list at LH and I brought our other contrib.

2018 Francois Cotat Sancerre Le Cul de Beaujeu

Someday, maybe, I’ll keep my paws off of one of these to actually age it. But it’s so hard. 'cause they’re so good. The first sniff, some unusual-for-him tropical top notes show up along with sweet lime. Those carry into the taste with an almost-creamy mouthfeel. Ah…but after about 3 degrees of chilling, amazing transformation—the lime and some fresh slate really take hold and it shows beautiful, clean and clear texture. Maybe some peach blossoms to round things off. This was awfully good and paired with a bunch of stuff. Honestly, maybe one of the best Cotats, from either branch of the family, I’ve ever had.

2016 Benjamin Leroux Chassagne Embazees

This also benefitted from some chilling, becoming more composed and complete as it cooled down. Binned apple, lemon tart and faint tinges of flint and hay are in this wine. It is a little full and gentler than would be usual, a clear sign to me of the vintage. Michael had the scallops as his main and I’m sure this must have been dynamite with that. Very well made wine, nothing to complain of here.

Service, as always, was splendid and we particularly enjoyed chatting with new Somm Steven. Another great day!

Salud,

Mike